Thread: US Coast Guard
View Single Post
Old 04-29-2013, 05:10 PM   #23
Rusty

Quote:
Originally Posted by OCDACTIVE View Post
This has been blown WAY out of proportion. Last year I was at the safety summit where Safe Boaters of NH, The Power Squadron, US coast guard Aux and the MP attended. The C.G. Aux, simply discussed the ability to train with their boats and act as eyes and ears for the MP. They in no way would be an enforcement agency or going to act as one. They would assist when asked and report any major issues to the MP. The Marine Patrol over the past few years has been rolled under the state police and funding has been cut. This is a great way of supporting them, to no cost to the state. These Coast Guard Aux guys are very well trained in what they are doing. Also they are also just trying to promote more involvement. The media is trying to blow it up into something it is not due to the history with the governor back in the 1970's. Don't get wrapped into it as a federal vs state issue. They aren't looking to put cutters on the lake; only to practice on their own dime as auxiliary and radio anything in.
I haven't read anything that has been blown "WAY" out of proportion. The media gave us a little historical information about how a certain Governor felt about the Coast Guard wanting to patrol the Lake.

I personally don't think that any part of the Coast Guard should be having training exercises on Lake Winnipesaukee. Doesn't the aux have enough to do with assisting the Coast Guard? That is the reason they were formed back in 1914.

I think Lake Winnipesukee is being patrolled and kept safe by the members of the NH Marine Patrol and anything to do with the federal government should be kept out.

The Chief Director of the Auxiliary is an active duty Coast Guard officer holding the rank of Captain. Therefore they are run by the Coast Guard even though it is a voluntary aux.