Thread: AT&T Or Verizon
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2013, 02:54 PM   #29
upthesaukee

Thanked 1,922 Times in 1,064 Posts
Default Verizon has one too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by This'nThat View Post
Where will you be using your AT&T phone the most? Have you heard of the AT&T Microcell device (http://www.att.com/standalone/3gmicr...id=cqGOqkFV1Fz)? Just plug it into your cable modem or router, and it will provide a great cell phone signal across an area ~5000sf. This allows you to use your cell phone at home, at your office, or whereever you place the device.

Like others around the lake, I have no cell phone service at my house. The Microcell has been great. I set it up in a corner, and it covers the whole house, upstairs - downstairs - every room - and the porch. I recommend you look into it.
Verizon has one as well, I believe they call theirs a range extender. It sounds wonderful and sounds like a lot of range, but 5000 sq ft is only a 40 ft radius. I borrowed one before I spent the roughly $250 get one myself. I have a porch on the side of my detached garage, and it is about 50-55 ft from where I had the unit...no increase in coverage.

My house started off as a 40x8 trailer with a 22x8 porch, and now is a 10 room house with the trailer in the middle. All that metal also knocks down the signal toward the back of the house.

Bottom line, it worked well within 40 ft of the unit, and with no massive walls or metallic shield in the way. For us, not worth the money. I am hoping they get the new tower in Alton Bay up this spring...it should boom right down to my house across the bay from the site.