View Single Post
Old 01-30-2013, 08:10 PM   #40
jeffk

Default Tax info and ...

FYI - the tax on dividends and interest is only if you receive more than $2400 ($4800 for joint filers). That's pretty easy to work around by getting your earnings as capital gains instead. Also, you would have to have about $50,000 ($100,000 for joint) or more invested to accumulate that much.

The ice can be a problem for a day but if you're retired you can stay home on bad days. Mud season can be annoying if you live on dirt roads or have a dirt driveway. A bad mud season, because of lots of snow melt or rain, can be a real mess but it usually lasts in an area for only a week or so.

Winter time at the lake IS quiet but there are things going on. I am having dinner with friends this weekend and then going to a restaurant to see another friend performing for the evening. In two weeks the Winni players are doing "Big River". The following week I am going to Plymouth State, Silver Center to see Kathy Mattea. Then the following week to Portland, ME to see Celtic Women. You just need to look for stuff. There are also lots of small venue things going on.

That brings you to another issue. You have to DRIVE a bit to get to almost everything, more so in the winter since some activities are summer only and you need to travel to the more widely distributed venues.

If you don't mind the winter cold it's easy to set things up to manage the winter. My roof has insufficient pitch and ventilation and I need to shovel it off or I get bad ice build up, no fun. So you want to make sure your house is well built for winter, including excellent insulation. 2x6 walls help. Then you heating bills will be manageable. A mud room entry in the winter is helpful to dump wet things and keep cold out. A insulated garage usually holds temps above freezing and keeps snow off the car and allows it to melt if you accumulate some while out. You may want to consider a backup generator for power outages from heavy snow or ice storms. Sometimes the power can be out for days and while annoying in the summer, it's serious in the winter.

As far as I am concerned, this is the place to live. All winter issues can be worked around as long as you are OK with the cold. Many older people are not.
jeffk is offline   Reply With Quote