View Single Post
Old 01-16-2013, 08:37 AM   #34
TiltonBB

Thanked 2,165 Times in 907 Posts
Default A few thoughts

If you are "sick of high rise condo living" why not try a one level first floor condo, single family or town house? That is one of the things I thought about when I had a single family built in 2006 in southwest Florida. One level living for when mobility becomes a problem and an easy walk into the house from the garage when carrying groceries etc. I have family members that have a 10th floor unit near Sarasota but every time I visit it and take the elevator up feels like a hotel, not a home.

The trees and shrubs are always green in Florida and the roads always look clean. It has ranged between 81 and 83 every day for the past 7 days. What's to dislike?

I used to get a little depressed all winter waiting for summer to come back. When the skies turn cloudy and grey I am ready to leave Gilford. I winterize the house so the NH utility bills are minimal and the Florida bills are very reasonable. I really think that my total utility bills for the year are less than if I stayed in Gilford all year. Your cars will last longer if you don't drive them in salt all winter too. I have also noticed that the windshield on the Florida car does not get all pitted like it does up north because the sand is not coming up from the road and sandblasting it as you drive.

I got to a point where I didn't enjoy driving in snow or being stuck in the house when it snowed because I was always worried about what the "other guy" on the road was going to do. I don't care to ever get in a cold car or scrape the ice off of a windshield again! And, my Florida car is always clean.

So, my answer to the question is you should live somewhere where you can wear shorts and boat shoes all year long. But, I have been fortunate to boat on Winnipesaukee every summer for the last 40 years and I wouldn't miss that for anything. As nice as Florida is right now I am still looking forward to late April or early May and returning to the lake, opening the house up, and putting the boat in the water.

I know that is just my opinion and if you love winter and ski or snomobile, you will have an entirely different outlook.
TiltonBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TiltonBB For This Useful Post: