View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 02:42 PM   #16
Cycliste

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belmont Resident View Post
... I JUST NOW saw a guy coming down 107 with traffic behind him and he was to the left of the center of his travel lane.
There are a few reasons a cyclist may be doing this in total legality, simply drivers may not be aware. Here are a few, and remember that in most states (NH included) cyclists are entitled to use the entire lane, as long as the change is done predictably:

- Going downhill, it is safer for a rider to take more of the lane as speed increases and gets closer to the signed speed limit. Vehicles behind must adjust their speed the same way they would do with any other vehicle.
- He/she may be turning left, in which case he/she needs to position him/herself towards the center of the lane and progressively towards the left of the lane so that vehicles coming behind can pass on his/her right.
- The right portion of the lane may be uneven and unsafe to ride, it is unfortunately the case with too many roads.

You can check this with your local police department, NH DOT and the Bike/Walk Alliance of NH.

I have been driving cars, trucks and riding motorcycles and bicycles for over thirty years and have rarely been bothered by cyclists, essentially because I understand the requirements for operating both types of vehicles. Take it from my experience, when you see a cyclist or a motorcyclist doing something you think is wrong, think and look twice as to the reason, there is usually one.

Drive safe and share the road.
Cycliste is offline   Reply With Quote