View Single Post
Old 10-21-2011, 09:37 PM   #33
Pepper

Quote:
Originally Posted by upthesaukee View Post
...but anyone who knows Pepper knows she is affected by the thought of those people losing their jobs. She undoubtably has friends in the three NH stores, and is truly saddened by their misfortune.
You are correct. Although I retired from Lowe's earlier this year, I am deeply saddened. I have many friends throughout not only NH/MA/ME, but also in IL and CA, who are now without jobs. It's been an extremely difficult week.

It's been a year's worth of "changes" for Lowe's, beginning in January when they eliminated 1700 middle-management positions. Then they closed 7 stores three months ago, followed by a complete restructuring of their Districts and Regions, which eliminated several hundred more jobs. Then, this most recent round of closures, which resulted in 1950 more jobs lost.

They built way too many stores over the past five years, never backing down on their desire to beat out HD. Sadly, they should have pulled in the reins a long time ago. My heart goes out to all the dedicated people who worked so hard to try and make those stores turn a profit.

Lowe's is not alone right now, though. Charming Brands - the parent company of Fashion Bug is currently preparing to shutter at least 20 locations, and GAP is preparing to close 200 - yes - Two Hundred locations. It's a real tough time to be in the retail business.