Thread: CFL Light Bulbs
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2011, 12:35 PM   #1
ishoot308

Thanked 4,978 Times in 1,930 Posts
Default CFL Light Bulbs

All;

In an effort to conserve energy, over the past couple years we replaced every incandescent bulb in our camp to a Compact Fluorescent or "CFL" bulb.

I was amazed at how many light bulbs we had inside and outside our camp as we changed out almost 50 light bulbs! Many fixtures in our kitchen and bathroom utilize three or more bulbs so it does not take long to add up.

Besides the 75% less energy these bulbs use, one of the other advantages really shined through during tropical storm Irene. When we were on generator power for four days, the low power consumption of these bulbs really made a difference and allowed me to power other electronics. I was able to keep my outdoor CFL spotlights and dock lights on during the night to watch the boats and ensure the lines did not break. Turning the switch on and off to these bulbs was even noticed by the generator.

While I am not sure if these bulbs will pay for themselves, they certainly do have their benefits. Besides knowing you are conserving energy for future generations, they also seem to last forever and are very durable.

They have come a long way with CFL lighting and I just wanted to let everyone know how I found them very beneficial during the recent storm.

Dan
ishoot308 is online now   Reply With Quote