View Single Post
Old 08-29-2011, 10:15 AM   #1
Chickie

Default Pay As You Throw

Laconia is considering a 'Pay As You Throw" method of garbage collection and will be holding a public meeting about it on September 14th. I wonder whether other towns around the Lakes Region have gone this route and how it is working? One concern I have with the bags is that wild animals can easily tear them open and strew their contents hither and yon. I presently use a metal can with secure lid with bail, which prevents this from happening. Many residents need to put their garbage out the night before it is to be picked up and this is when animals are on the prowl.

Another issue I have is having to pay to dispose of trash other's toss onto my property. Living in a high traffic area, I begin picking up trash in early spring and continue to do so until the snow flies. Among the items I have discovered have included auto parts, a piece of a truck bed-liner, along with the usual bottles, cans and fast food containers. The larger items might not fit into a bag or pierce through them. Paying for the trash I generate is one thing, but having to pay for what others throw my way is quite another.

I would appreciate input on the pros and cons. I already know how it will impact my pocketbook.
Chickie is offline   Reply With Quote