View Single Post
Old 07-14-2011, 01:02 PM   #11
MAXUM

Thanked 1,942 Times in 802 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpg View Post
Yup, you had a big money system to install. You did well doing it yourself but your correct about lots of rules concerning the piping, etc. I'm not sure in Mass a spigot is allowed. Seems I was told about certain rules concerning that. 1,600 didn't break me and I've enjoyed trouble-free operation, my (front) yard likes it too.

I can only imagine what that mine would have cost to have installed but no doubt it would have been more than than this cowboy would put out that's for sure. Plus it's not hard to do, just labor intensive. Use good stuff and it'll operate trouble free, mine has been in now for 7 years and it's been great. I don't miss the days of hauling hoses and spike heads all over the place!

Never done one in MA, but a couple NH towns were a little touchy on how they wanted things done where I was tapping into the public water supply. Of course if you're using a public water supply calculating the head per zone and coverage is easier since you don't have the varying pressure of a well head. The big deal is putting the irrigation system on a meter so they can charge appropriately for water because in both cases the sewer bill was calculated based on water consumption, with the irrigation system the water is never put into the sewer so that's why it's done separate. Never had anyone say anything about a spigot installed in the system, but again you have to know what the local laws are to know what you can or cannot do. Either way some sort of access point needs to be installed to blow the system out properly in the fall.

One thing to think about if you do it yourself or not... if using a well make sure you have the recovery rate to run a system and NOT run your well dry. Not all wells can handle a massive draw down of water especially in the middle of the summer when it can be dry for extended periods of time. Find this out ahead of time before calling in a contractor, as it could save you a whole lot of time and money!
MAXUM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MAXUM For This Useful Post: