View Single Post
Old 07-11-2011, 10:16 AM   #5
LIforrelaxin

Location: Long Island, not that one, the one on Winnipesaukee

Having had many dogs and experienced issue with Fireworks and lighting with all of them, let me start by saying this. It isn't completely about the sound. Watch the dog, not only is the sound making them jump, but they are smelling to. If you are close enough to a lightening strike, or the fireworks are close the smell, the odors as well. So the issue can be not just the noise, but the smell associated with it. Case in Point, my Golden Retriever who never had an issue on the 4th as long as he stayed at the camp.... He didn't like the noise and just kinda stayed right beside and layed down. However one year I took him to a park to see the show... I was plenty far away, however the sound and the odor sent him pan icing as the odor, was not normal.

Now as for the idea presented here, they are good and may help.... The question becomes how ingrained the fear has become. However I will say this at 3 years old if your going to try and work on this issue you need to do it sooner or later.

As far as another way to deal with this, just simply keep the dog close to you during these events, and make sure they have a favorite comforting toy available to them. If you remain calm, and don't show an alarming amount of anxiety during the events the dog will not feed off of you. However to that end, this means not playing into the dogs, anxiety, don't get worked up over his state, just stay calm, and praise him.