View Single Post
Old 03-26-2004, 08:42 AM   #33
John/NH

Default Re: Winnisquam & Maine - Winnipesaukee fisheries

Angler1 & NH Resident:

First of all, there have never been 10 to 25 -- 8 fish limits of 24 lbs. at a tournament. Perhaps you should contact NH Fish & Game ( Steve Perry Director of Inland Fisheries), and ask him about the health of the fishery. Don't forget to ask for the reports that show an ongoing increase in average size of smallmouth in Winni.

I must say that anglers don't deserve comments like those presented by NH Resident. Your attempt to profile Bass anglers as similar to drug & alcohol addicts is arrogant at best. Perhaps you could compare the Bass anglers to the trout & salmon derby which can often be viewed as carnage ( just visit the shores and docks during the derby and see how many fish are laying dead on the bottom ( Bass are often included)) or the winter ice fishing derby where the fish are nailed to a board.

While we are on the subject of Bass - are either of you aware that it was the large organized Bass fishing organizations in NH ( NEBA of NH & NH Bass Federation) that worked with NHF&G to stop any ice derby from targeting bass through the ice. You can still catch and keep Bass through the ice but not in a derby.

While your requesting information from NHF&G perhaps you might be interested in the percentage of fish that are returned to the water, the percentage of fish that died in a tournament, the efforts that organizations go through to release the fish in a safe environment, etc..

Please don't come back with that Delayed Mortality issue = you don't have any facts on the issue other than something you interpret from those that agree with you ( and that's a short list). Our organized groups have been and will always continue to work with the NHF&G department & U. S. Fish & Wildlife to improve the fishery and gain information that can assist everyone in supporting the health of the ecosystem.

While we are on the subject of those dreadful Bass anglers; they spend substantially more money in your communities than any other group, they donate more money to youth and college funds than any other organized group, they spend more time educating youth and adults about the environment and fishing ethics than any others. They don't practice catch & keep, catch & kill - they do practice catch & release.

On the subject of the arrogance of NH Resident: Perhaps you may think that your pedigree is better than those that fish for Bass. You may not want to go there. It might come as a surprise to you how many of the Bass anglers are Doctors, Engineers, Scientists, Biologists, Lawyers, Professionals, and did I mention a wonderful mix from every cross section in America. Before you stereotype these fine people, go look in a mirror and tell us all what you have done for the community, the fishery, the youth of America - I would guess that your going to come up short.

If either of you are truly interested in the health of the environment, when do you plan on attending meetings at NHF&G to express your concerns out in the open ( keyboard bravery is nonsense). I personally attend dozens of meeting annually ( NHF&G, U.S. Fish & Wildlife, NH Dept. of Safety - Marine Patrol, State Senate & House Hearings, NH Wildlife Federation, etc.. ( if either of you have attended any meetings - forgive me for not recognizing your keyboard)

If your interested just show up, listen to the information flow, get involved.

My hope is that this response has gotten your attention and that you will step up to the plate.

Yes you got my attention.

OK, I am ready - go ahead and prove me wrong ( please include a brief history on what you are doing for the environment( resume if you will).

John/NH