View Single Post
Old 03-19-2011, 07:35 AM   #12
Dave R

I live in southern NH, so things are a bit more crowded down here, but my neighborhood is 5 to 50 acre wooded lots and the houses are 300 to 500 feet apart. I can see my neighbor's homes and it's nice to know I can count on my nieghbors for help and vice-versa, but they are far enough away that there's plenty of privacy. I'm about 2 miles from good local shopping and 20 miles from two major shopping hubs (Portsmouth and Manchester). I'm also almost adjacent to a 5500 acre state park, so there's more than enough wilderness to explore.

I also have property in Maine that's about 8 miles from local shopping and 25 miles from shopping hubs. There's a 1.5 mile stretch of road with no houses between my place and the main road. The houses nearest me are almost entirely seasonal-use (they are used in mostly in the Summer, but they are not seasonal homes). There's thousands of acres of woodland in trust (no construction but timber harvesting is allowed) adjacent to my property and the wilderness is nice, but it is incredibly lonely and isolated, especially in Winter.

I think my place in southern NH is perfectly situated and I highly recommend looking for something in the area you want to live with similar logistics.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote