View Single Post
Old 01-31-2011, 11:52 AM   #5
Rattlesnake Gal

Thanked 1,349 Times in 475 Posts
Talking Winni Wildlife

It really is great to be treated to some of our spectacular Winnipesaukee Wildlife!

Just Sold, that picture looks a bit fishy to me! Glad to see that they don't run out of food in the winter in our Lakes Region.
(See story below for why I say that.)

Would you step in if our eagles were hungry or would you let Mother Nature take it's course?

An interesting story that is going around via e-mail that is worth sharing:

Feeding the Eagles

The actual location is unclear - Comox, Vancouver Island, British Columbia, Canada, Haines, Alaska or Alton, Illinois. Regardless, the pictures are amazing!

In January, the weather stayed so cold that the bald eagles were cruising over our houses looking for helpless cats to make a quick meal. They could not access fish that were at the bottom of the river and had gathered together.

Some kind souls decided to feed the eagles down at Goose Spit (Comox, BC) so they would survive the cold spell. They gathered fish and started feeding the group of eagles huddled on the shore.

The photos below show what happened. A former teaching colleague took these photos in front of his home. Incredible!

A beautiful morning feeding the eagles, January 2010

Once we started throwing out fish, they did not seem to fear us and word spread fast!

Eagles fighting for the fish. January 2010

No zoom lens used here! I was this close!

Here are the men who were feeding them. It was so amazing to get this close!

It was not too long ago that the American Bald Eagle was an endangered species.

A compilation of impressive eagle pictures from YouTube:
Rattlesnake Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Rattlesnake Gal For This Useful Post:
Sponsored Links