View Single Post
Old 12-15-2010, 10:45 PM   #19
Dr. Green

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakepilot View Post
The way I read your (OP) second post, it was your design that you bought to the Architect. You wanted the architect to then prepare all the plans suitable for presentation to builders to get a quote. Did the architect not express concern when they saw your plans and you told them your budget? Did they tell you you would have to pare down the plans or it was likely to cost much more?

If you had gone to an architect and told them to design from scratch a house for x dollars then you have a reason to be mad. If you went to an architect and told them to do the plans for my design, you have a problem.
The plans were mine, and I told the architect our budget, and he continued to design for 4 months before saying "get a quote". I had no idea what building costs were and assumed that he would tell me if the plans were more than my budget. Though I was astounded that after all those months of work, and $20,000+ in fees, that the building was at twice budget, I was even more astounded when he told me he had expected it to cost even more.

He did say that some of the details could be pricey and add to the cost, so I was prepared to see it cost 1.2 times budget, even 1.25, but not 2x, or the 2.5x he estimated. So, no, he did not say "I think this is way over budget", at most he said some of the features might push the cost up.

Newbiesaukee
There was no specification in the contract of the budget because the architectural firm was just the designer, not the builder. It was my own naivete that most professional people would be honest, a naivete similar to that, I imagine, that led many to expect that FRM was a decent place to put one's savings. I only lost $20,000+. I'm writing all this as I feel ripped off. If I was misleading someone in a similar way, I would consider myself a criminal, even if I did not actually break a law, as I would have betrayed their trust.

Pineedles
I did tell them why I thought it was unfair and asked for 1/2 of my payments back. They did not reply. I don't understand your later post about a non-event. I spent $20,000 and got plans for an unaffordable (for me) house while I had clearly stated my budget. It was devastating emotionally.

Sidewinder
NOW I know about the ability of contractors to design, but when I started, I thought only architects did that. Given that I brought the design, which the architect embellished and improved, I now realize I could have gone to a designer, or contractor that designs, (which is what I'm doing now) and had a good experience, like I'm having now.... But I didn't know that then.

I'm now in mid-construction of a house that is around my original budget. I've gotten rid of the garage and apartment, the rounded walls, the balcony roof, etc. Its smaller, but big enough for my needs. If I'd known earlier those things were going to add so much to the cost, I could have dealt with them then, but the architect did not tell me that until I got the estimate and was frantically trying to reduce my costs. But by then, I had lost faith in his integrity, or another way to put it, his concern for the happiness, well-being and success of his client. Interestingly, I still like the personality of the architect, I just would recommend anyone to do business with him.
Dr. Green is offline   Reply With Quote