View Single Post
Old 11-18-2010, 03:12 PM   #42
Resident 2B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
Thanks...But the problem is that the threads are only stripped at the very first three or four threads into the hole. The hole is a lot deeper than the bolts they were using by at least a half inch. I am going to be pretty set if I just get the longer bolts.
I have no idea why they used such short bolts in such a deep hole. Plus add in a washer and there was even less bolt going into the hole. I will have to re thread the stripped threads, but then the rest should be ok. It isn't a structural thing so much as the blots were just holding the decorative cast pieces of the front, and side of the stove together. The thing was obviously not made to be moved around much, or they would have put casters on it...
Re-threading existing threads is hard to do correctly since picking up the existing thread is almost impossible, unless you can come in from the threaded side (other side) with a tap. If you cannot do this, try to use it as is as a frist choice or very carefully drill out only the stripped threads with a dulled drill. A sharp drill might bite in cast iron and make a bigger mess of what you have.

R2B
Resident 2B is offline   Reply With Quote