View Single Post
Old 10-20-2010, 08:15 PM   #17
jkjoshuatree

Default Are We Related?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Girl View Post
The turkey is just the vessel to cook the world's best stuffing, my Mom's. Add to that her homemade cranberry and apple sauces.... yummy.

Our traditions are all about family coming together for a great meal and good conversation. Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, squash, turnip, peas, corn, pickles, green bean casserole (like you have never had before) and apple cider. Every other year is our family, the alternate years all the members go to in-laws. We used to take turns having the dinner. That has passed on to the kids and we older folks bring something. My job has been the Banana Cream Pie and Chocolate Cream Pie. Sometimes I make the stuffing or do the gravy.

The best part is the leftovers on Thanksgiving night. For most of the past 30 years I have cooked my own turkey and fixings just so there would be leftovers! I spend Wednesda night making stuffing and cooking vegetables. Waking up on Thanksgiving morning to the aroma of turkey roasting is luscious. It all gets put in the fridge for consumption around 7 pm long after the day's dinner has dissipated. Add Football on the DVR to the plate of leftovers... perfect! It is easy to sleep after all of that!

The new tradition is online Black Friday shopping late Thursday night!

IG
Green bean casserole? Banana and chocolate cream pie? I thought my family was the only family that had ever even heard of those foods, never mind having them all on the same holiday.

We must be related. Every time I tell people I love banana or chocolate cream pie, they have no idea what I'm talking about.