View Single Post
Old 07-28-2010, 06:03 AM   #35
VtSteve

Quote:
Originally Posted by jrc View Post
I never thought kayak visibilty was that big of an issue (except at night) until I read stingray's story. Now I'm thinking about getting that flag.

Usually, I'm a fair weather kayaker, just playing around while anchored out. But Sunday I did get stuck out in the pop-up rain that hit Gilford. The wind picked up for few minutes and there were some good size waves. It was all over in five minutes (except the rain) but it could have been worse. A little extra visibility couldn't hurt. I'm also thinking some bright tape for the paddle blades might help.
I was trying to picture the scene when Stingray encountered six kayaks just 40 feet ahead of him. I would think that six kayaks bobbing around in the waves paddling would have been seen at some point when looking ahead, even with a cursory port/starboard lookout. I see where they are dark-colored kayaks, which I agree, are much harder to see. But coming upon six that close before seeing them?

Not judging, sounds like bow riding high perhaps while going slower?

I'm interested in paddles being a visibility enhancer. I must say, I've never seen paddles that were in any way bright or flashing in the sun, or any other time. I like it when yellow or white kayaks are out, much easier to see.
VtSteve is offline   Reply With Quote