View Single Post
Old 07-27-2010, 07:34 AM   #18
chipj29

Default Law? NO. Good idea? YES

I boat a lot on the Merrimack River. There are dozens of kayaks/canoes out there everytime I am out. They generally hug the shore, but they do go out into the middle parts of the river at times. You have to be on the constant lookout for them up ahead.

When going up or down river, one tends to get "tunnel vision". You look around you, but don't have to worry about anything coming up behind you or from the side. So you really watch straight ahead. Once in a while, you get a bit of a scare when you notice that kayak that just up ahead is not so close to shore.

When boating in late afternoon, the sun goes down upriver. That means when heading upriver, the sun is right in your eyes, and the glare off the water is very strong. It is very hard to see anything, let alone a kayak of any color. You have to be real careful.

My point is that sometimes it is extremely difficult to see kayaks (or other low to the water boats) at any time of day. Any increased visibility (ie: safety flag or shiny paddle) is a bonus. I am not suggesting that a law should be passed that requires kayaks to have a safety flag. I am however suggesting that it is a VERY good idea in the name of safety and personal responsibility.