View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010, 03:39 PM   #46
OCDACTIVE

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
Lucky, In all of the cases you note the powerboat is required to slow to headway within 150' of you. It is really not a right of way, if they are at headway speed they can be 1' from you. 150' is not a lot of room for the canoe or kayak when dealing with wake, you are still going to get some. I canoe and my kids sail, there are days when we can't do it all over the lake as we would be putting ourselves at risk.
Agreed and good point here... I also paddleboat, kayak etc. On busy days I stay out of the boating lanes. Someone asked earlier what a boating lane is. Basically in the Broads there aren't boating lanes but when you get into the Narrows up in Moultonboro and the islands like Mark and Timber and such there are only certain areas or lanes that powerboat traffic can go. I would never in my right mind travel in the middle of these on a kayak during busy weekends. Although I have every right to be there as many stated before many Capt. boneheads don't realize this. It would be putting yourself at risk no matter what law they passed. Even if the whole lake was a NWZ it doesn't mean someone who is not familar with the laws can cause an issue. (before the legal experts jump all over me, Yes ignorance to the laws is no excuse and why education is needed but I am not going to risk going out there assuming everyone knows what I know)

So during the busy weekends, when I go out on a paddle boat or kayak I avoid these areas. I also think by me going out into a channel and making everyone slow down for me is not what a courteous boater should do whether under power or not.

Anyway I personally wouldn't want to go there in the first place, the fun of being in a non-power boat is being able to get into coves and inlets that you can't see in a powerboat.