View Single Post
Old 07-25-2010, 09:37 PM   #15
BroadHopper

Thanked 1,090 Times in 784 Posts
Default Funny you say the noise is recent.

As far back as I remember, there has always been noisy boats on the Lake. I have grew up on the Broads. Noise has been and always be a fact of life on the Broads. back to the 50's. I don't find it any louder but I do find it being noisier a few years ago. Now, with less boats, the noise is less.

What I do find noisier is the planes coming in and out of the Laconia airport. There is more complaints now in the Gilford, Laconia area about the corporate jets that flys in and out of the airport. NASCAR weekends are notorious. Celebrities like Steven Tyler moved into the area and so do their jets.

As for the classic boats. My 1988 has the classic DARPA exhausts. I had to take the switch out when it became law. The reason why it is noisy around the docks and NWZ is because the exhaust requires water for silencing. At speed there is plenty of water to quiet it down. Around the docks less water flow creates more noise. I use to switch to the underwater I/O exhaust at low speed. Then switch back at high speed. No longer.