View Single Post
Old 07-24-2010, 10:28 AM   #9
stingray60

Default Whitecap Kayaks

We once encountered a group of 6 kayakers who stopped for lunch at Ames Farm as they were touring the Big Lake. Moultonboro to Gilford to Wolfboro was their plan. All had dark colored kayaks. When I looked out at the lake I saw "victory at sea," whitecaps, windy, and turbulent. Didn't seem like a good plan to me but it's not my trip.

Long after the kayakers had left, my son, son-in-law, and I decided to take a short boat ride aboard a 22 foot walkaround cuddy with a large outboard. Good boat; seaworthy; know how to handle it. Everyone wearing a PFD. It wasn't bad inside the point but it got pretty rough exposed in the bay, so I decided to cut past Smith Point, circle around Sleepers and head back to the barn.

As I was making the port turn between Sleepers and Rattlesnake we crested a large wave into a deep trough. Guess who was there? That's right: six invisible kayakers less than two boat lengths in front of me as I'm plowing down the backside, sterns to my bow. I cut hard to starboard, hit the throttle and missed 'em by not very much. Deer in the leadlights look times six.

From that moment on I am convinced flags should be required on tiny craft in big water. A 1,000 feet visibility? Couldn't see them from 50 feet on a clear, sunny day. (Wonder if the six have any clue how lucky they are to be alive today?) Come to think of it, I don't think a 4 foot flag is tall enough for Winni.

Make no mistake about this post. Canoes and kayaks and other tiny craft have as much right to the lake as anyone. I just don't want to make your acquaintance by accident. An ounce of prevention.......

Kudos to Seaplane Pilot for bringing up a topic that's bothered me ever since it happened. Happy boating everybody.
stingray60 is offline   Reply With Quote