View Single Post
Old 07-21-2010, 08:52 AM   #77
Killevippen

Default Sorry, but the Geese Have to Go

I posted on this subject a few years ago and was generally routed. But now that the geese are here in greater numbers, you can see what havoc they wreak. I would be highly in favor of any measure to substantially reduce (if not entirely eliminate) the geese from our lake, AS WELL AS provide education to lakefront owners on how to make their property unattractive to these menaces.

By way of background, I also live on a lake in Mass. We went through a terrible period of time when the goose population increased 3-4X in two years. "Lawns" were really just a place to capture the crap that the lake itself couldn't hold. Several kids were bitten while swimming. And the noise, noise, noise! Fortunately the town (state?) took action and today there are still a handful of geese, but it's tolerable (barely).

I see the same downward trend at our lake that I saw in Mass several years ago. Although I came to the lakes region in the late 90s, I don't think I saw my first goose here until 4-5 years ago. Now in my cove (near Ambrose) there are 20-30. My neighbors lawns (who rarely come up here) are devastated. Mine was pretty bad too, but I've nursed it back to some semblance of normalcy (without any chemicals).

But I'm telling you, if we don't take action soon, the goose situation will be overwhelming. Think honking, crapping, biting milfoil. And for those that think this is just a lakefront owner complaining about his manicured lawn, that's your right but if you happen to also swim in the lake, you'll be neck-deep in the situation shortly (as I mentioned years ago, several local ponds had to be closed due to fecal count -- don't think it's possible here???? Been to Weirs in early August????).

Lastly, I do want to restate my seemingly contradictory love and commitment to nature and preservation. I won't state the ways that we try to minimize our impact while also protecting what we have been gifted by the beautiful region. And while I am the guy (a few times referred to as the *******) who will ask people getting too close to baby loons to back off, there are too many reasons why the geese simply have to go. And although I don't condone hunting, here's to a bountiful goose hunt season!
Killevippen is offline   Reply With Quote