View Single Post
Old 07-07-2010, 08:18 PM   #37
no-engine

This situation is hard to believe. What happened is that a few legislators living on or owning lake front property decided they'd write legislation stopping anchoring off their own property, and it all passed, b/c the remaining to make the required vote did not understand and so voted in favor of the proposed laws.

As I once wrote, as a kid on coast between just south of Boston and all around the many sheltered bays & coves on Cape Cod, we anchored overnight many times. My late father used to say the floating summer cottage. We were self contained 32' sail boat with galley, cook top stove (fuel was safe liquid alcohol), icebox (yes with ice blocks), bunks, a head (the toilet facilities), swimming ladder, and so on. Everyone had respect for the shore property; sometimes it was public park lands. I can be more specific about locations, but who cares. Certainly NH State Legislators do not.

It seems ludicrous that a boat at mooring can be there, but as soon as people are aboard, a mast head white light is required at night! I used to have a 19' sailboat; I'd use a porta-potty and occasionally sleep aboard while on my own mooring. I never abused where I was and never was "inspected" or ticketed during the night. As one wrote, depends on who the MP officer is working and where they are patrolling.
no-engine is offline   Reply With Quote