View Single Post
Old 05-04-2010, 12:26 PM   #9
Airwaves

APS wrote in part:
Quote:
FLL's possibility was relayed to the NHMP by my second call, but the boater had used such volume and urgency I just couldn't just stand around...telephone in hand. This early in the season—with no boat—even my neighbors don't have "basic boats" in the water to row to a rescue!
Did the NHMP respond at all?

I would expect that they would/should have just to make certain and your second phone call would have just given added information about the incident. Like the local police responding to 9-1-1 calls even though someone calls back and says the kids were playing with the phone.

This brings to mind an incident a few years back in which the Coast Guard made a determination that a MayDay call was a hoax and did not launch a SAR, turns out the call was real and foks died. Now the Coast Guard launchs SARS on every distress call and seeks help from other boaters.

This is also why the Coast Guard take hoax calls very seriously and they are prosecuted. They have already started an investigation of a hoax call this boating season in Maine.
Airwaves is offline   Reply With Quote