View Single Post
Old 05-02-2010, 07:21 AM   #214
gokart-mozart

Default Informed Speculation

First of all, let me say I didn't know Mrs. Burns, I don't know Mr. Burns, and I don't know any of the suspects that are constantly being bandied about.

Of course, in a game of "whodunit" it would always be the ex-husband. This would be true even if there were no factors, as there apparently are in this case, which would tend to incriminate him.

Therefore, the fact that he has not been arrested, the fact that no excuse has been found to prevent him from having custody of his children, and the fact that a few subsequent (alleged) encounters with law enforcement have not resulted in an arrest suggest to me that the Major Crime Unit is looking elsewhere, probably with good reason.

Mr. Vittum has been named in the media as a possible suspect, and it is public record that Mrs. Vittum testified before a Grand Jury last fall. I suspect that, if there were ANY physical evidence tying him to her on the night of the murder that the State would already have taken the easy way out and indicted and tried him. When you look at the stories of people wrongly convicted of murder, most of them have had similar stories to the one Mr. Vittum himself told in his newspaper interview, so I have to believe that, as with Mr. Burns himself, the State has good reasons to look elsewhere.

The other "suspects" are all, as far as I know, "rumor only", so I won't name any of them. On several occasions, news stories about meetings hosted by the DA have mentioned those present as "State Police, WPD, DA's office, and 'other persons not named' ". There is a persistent rumor that these "other persons not named" are Federal LEOs. A Federal presence in this case, if true, would imply that the "local jealous man" story is not the direction that the DA is taking this case.

I certainly hope, for everyone's sake, that the DA at least gives a progress report soon, and for all of you who knew Mrs. Burns, I'm very sorry that you lost such a good friend.
gokart-mozart is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gokart-mozart For This Useful Post: