View Single Post
Old 03-31-2010, 07:32 PM   #1082
Dave R

Quote:
Originally Posted by corollaman View Post
After her conviction for the boat accident, I felt a sense of mercy for her, she just made a very bad decision. I try to give people in situations like that the benefit of the doubt. However, since she went out and did another really stupid thing with a motor vehicle, I don't feel like she should be spared now. She wasn't watching the road when using the cell phone, she was doing 80+ MPH in a 65 MPH zone, and used no signal when changing lanes. Then she almost hits the cop. So, I don't think she should be allowed to ever drive any motor-driven vehicle again, and I now feel she deserves to be punished to the fullest extent of the law. She's used up her chances.
This is an example of the attitude here that has me puzzled. I just cannot imagine having any sympathy for someone who is fairly convicted of negligent homicide, especially when she pled "not guilty" and clearly was quite guilty. I would have been much more sympathetic if she had pled guilty, expressed regret, and taken her punishment knowing it was well-deserved.

The alleged speeding violation is a non-issue for me, I'm not a big fan of speed limits and really appreciate it when other people do me the favor of keeping LEOs busy. A speed trap is one of life's little pleasures for me, once I see one, odds are good there won't be another for a long ways.

The alleged distracted driver charges bother me a little more, but it's certainly quite prevalent on the roads these days and being a hard core motorcyclist, I've grown pretty used to stupid car drivers.

I cannot imagine being stupid enough to walk in front of 80+ MPH traffic on 93 knowing how prevalent distracted driving is. That's just suicidal.
The Following User Says Thank You to Dave R For This Useful Post: