Thread: Speed Limit
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2005, 08:58 AM   #32
ApS

Arrow Excess IS the problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatlazyless
"...Wasn't there a night boating fatal accident in August 2002 involving a 31' go-fast and a 22' bow-rider where the driver claimed the white stern light of the other boat was not lit up?"
Yes there was. It occurred four days after my letter-to-the-editor appeared in the Granite State News. The letter was titled "Anarchy on Winnipesaukee". Both parties could have read it.

Afterwards, this Forum "lost" at least one poster's user-name that contained the word "Baja".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R
"...Specifically for the reasons mentioned above, but also doing something just because NY does it, seems like a terrible reason to do something in NH..."
The boats targeted are very mobile. If NY restricts them to 45 MPH, they just trailer to the nearest big lake that permits their excesses. (Oceans are dirty and might smudge their graphics).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat Jack
"They say the best thing to do is just start some dialogue about the matter on this forum..."
More importantly is that newspapers read here and archive the quotes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave R
"I doubt a speed limit would make the lake safer than it is now."
You may be right. If you've visited these Big Boater websites, you'll see a disdain for regulation. (Some would call it arrogance). Boats that can exceed 45 MPH will choose "not to see" the MPs with their light flashing and sirens blaring.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakershaker
I agree that there are many boats inappropriate for the lake being operated here, but putting in a speed limit won't help the issue of the giant Carver swamping canoes and endangering children- it can't go 45 anyway.
Giant Carvers need to be hit in the wallet with ultra-big-time registration fees. "A cheap way to get Lakefront" isn't helping the Lake any, but it could fund Enforcement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakershaker
"...And the offshore boats have smaller wakes when they are on plane than when they are bow up at slower speeds...."
'Wonder why the "Big Boater" didn't use that among the defense arguments. (That the Big Boater didn't see the smaller boat's stern light because, "bow-up" he couldn't see over his own bow).

The Big Boater could have sued Baja for design insufficiencies, and "beat the rap".
Quote:
"...I think it was Benjamin Franklin who said something like, "He who sacrifices a little freedom for a little security will get neither and deserve neither."
Ben wrote "essential freedoms". Excess is not an essential freedom.