View Single Post
Old 09-30-2009, 10:25 PM   #15
Argie's Wife

Ditto on them hunting grubs - that's haute cuisine to a skunk.

And I didn't know about them not liking moth balls - so, that's how you out stink a skunk!

--------

My dad was an animal control officer for Sanford, ME for many years and responded to calls for skunk removal from people's shed, garages, porches, etc. He used a HaveAHeart trap, which is a simple box trap, and would bait it with tuna - they love tuna! He's throw a blanket over the trap and then take them out to the woods to release them.

My parents had just bought a 16 acre farm and I guess Dad thought it was enough property to share with the skunks, as he released over 9 of them on the property one year. As you can imagine, the following spring, when young skunks minds turned to thoughts of love, there was an outcry from the neighbors. I remember hearing comments about it in the post office...

"[Insert Maine vernacular that uses the Lord's name in vain here] - where did all of those skunks come from?! We got more skunks than Carter has Liver Pills!"

Funny, I don't think they realized exactly what the animal control officer was up to... and I don't think he realized they would multiply!
Argie's Wife is offline   Reply With Quote