View Single Post
Old 09-03-2009, 06:15 AM   #42
dpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Water Camper View Post
Thanks for confirming this to be a real sighting. Our bear was anything but little I'm afraid to go into the woods any more. I often work out there alone, clearing and picking up branches, etc. Any suggestions from people/hunters for safety precautions ... whisles, bells, music ... to deter them from coming near if I get the courage to go into the woods again? Thanks in advance.
Sue
Sue I've been known to go on a hunt or two in my life. Seriously though as stated in this thread no need to worry about black bears. To answer your question your best defense would just be to keep YOUR eyes open and not accidentally sneak up on one. You would not want to spook one that didn't realize you were in the area. If you and a bear spot each other from a fair distance he/she 99.999% of the time would turn the other way and be on it's way. Kind of like they tell all of us about terrorists and things, live your life but keep your guard up a bit that's all. I'm not an expert but would guess you wouldn't want a bell or something with you as it might provoke interest. Making yourself "look big" by standing tall and maybe yelling is what's generally suggested.
dpg is offline   Reply With Quote