Thread: Baby Loon
View Single Post
Old 08-27-2009, 08:36 AM   #11
GTO

Default swimming

Quote:
Originally Posted by eillac@dow View Post
Grant....I saw the same baby. It had to of been the same one. I was also over at Pier 19 that weekend. We went over to get gas. The baby and it's mom were over by the gas dock.

Sorry to say, but we barely saw it until the last moment....and we were going very slowly as we were approaching the gas dock! We pass the baby and the next thing we see is the mom pop up and then darts under the water again....right next to us. My sister who was sitting in the back of the boat had no idea that there was a baby or a mother loon there...she happens to look at the water and saw the mother loon swimming..barely under the water (the mom had just dove under). I saw it too and it was really amazing. Of course it all happened so fast, my sister had no clue what it was until I told her it was a loon.

It was an amazing sight....probably one I will never see again and one that I hope to never see again (only because we got so close and God only knows what could have happened).

Just wanted to share!

Eillac@Dow

We always have loons around our dock, I think because there are plenty of small fish for feeding on. They seem to be getting braver and popping up feet from the dock as we are lying there. They don't seem to panic when they pop up and hang around for along time. Last summer we had one swimming underwater back and forth under our dock. Real cool sight. My dog was with me and she was darting from side to side watching also. I don't know their actual speed underwater but they are fast.