View Single Post
Old 08-16-2009, 08:19 PM   #7
ApS

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltgov101 View Post
"...My family and I have six exotic birds that we bring with us on vacation every summer..."
You'd like a scene at a dark blue van parked in Wolfeboro. As I approached it, I saw three Cockatoos standing on the dashboard. As I got closer, three dogs leaped up inside and started aggressively barking—at me!

I asked the owner how birds and dogs get along in the same confines of the van. She replied, "The dogs protect the birds from strangers".

Oh.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
"...It swooped down and grabbed a squirrel that was in a tree about 20 feet away from me and off it went..."
A few years ago, a neighbor pointed out a gray squirrel sunning himself on a large oak branch directly over my head. Not 30 seconds later, a "whoosh"...a tiny squeek...and a bald eagle had carried the squirrel off!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaBene View Post
"...I had a huge chipmunk problem, undermining walk ways, etc..."
The evolution of chipmunks began during the Pleistocene Era in order to undermine walk ways.

Heck, I train "my" chipmunks to run towards my whistle!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakesrider View Post
"...Piercing whistling scream..."
If a "piercing whistling scream" was the hawk's cry, it was a Broad-Wing Hawk, which also has the pattern you describe. It's big enough to take a squirrel, too. Here's one in flight:

July 29, at the Libby Museum boat ramp, a hawk was flying overhead while being attacked by two Kingbirds. (Standard operating procedure for Kingbirds). Most likely, it was a Kingbird nestling we could see in its grasp.

I managed to get a distant shot which is enlarged below:
Attached Images