View Single Post
Old 08-11-2009, 01:02 PM   #74
Resident 2B

Default Elements of Compromise

To have a compromise, you have to have an agreement between at least two parties. A one-sided discussion can never result in a compromise, all by itself.

I think we have heard some reasonable ideas regarding modification of the present two year law, but these ideas are only from one side. The group supporting the current situation has been silent, except for one person who offered no novel thinking, but clearly supported staying with what is now the temporary law.

As far as how we got to 45/25, there was no compromise at all. One side was against the law and the other supported it. There were some good people on the pro side that attempted to reach a common ground on the first proposal a few years ago. That proposal failed, but that failure, in effect, got us to were we are today.

Looking at the history of speed limit proposals over the last four years, I believe it would be great to have a open and constructive dialog based upon facts with at least the pro SL and the SL opponents and possibly a third group, the safety-minded group, together with some members of the NH legislature.

My interest has always been boating safety. After a long and deep review of the issues, I became an opponent of the current law, as it is written. I think it is too restrictive regarding what I have seen was, and in many cases continues to be, safe operation of performance boats.

For the record, I have never owned a performance boat, nor do I ever intend to own one. I have never even been in one while under way. I am very happy with my 47 MPH max bow-rider. But, the lake has enough room for all and the current law restricts the rights of the few that have the means and desire to own and safely operate these performance boats.

I hope this post, meant only to be constructive, is not interpreted as trolling by anyone. The only trolling I do is on the lake for salmon and lake trout. I admit I am not very good at that, but I enjoy it.

Please, let's hear from the pro-SL side and let's work together to engineer something that is fair to all and improves safety at the same time.

R2B
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Resident 2B For This Useful Post: