View Single Post
Old 08-04-2009, 07:05 PM   #63
NoBozo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdog View Post
Well tomorrow I should know if my engine stalling, backfiring problem has been resolved. with the latest replacements of Distributor Cap & Rotor.
(Hope marine techs thought to replace 'Pickup Wheel' in the Distributor?).
All to be installed tomorrow, then a in-water test with marine techs. At least that's the plan....

If this does not correct the stalling and backfiring, then I guess I have to look deeper to the root cause???

Again, the engine runs smoothly for about 10 minutes. After the engine stalls and backfires, I can almost always start up right away, and run at wake speed, but that's all..... As soon as I begin to increase throttle, stalls again.

After talking to a multitude of people about my engine problem, both here in this Forum and others friends, the following suggestions have been given as the possible issue. Came up with a list of 12 possible problems,
not necessarily in any particular order.

Gentlemen... Place your bets on your number !

1. Ignition module
2. Ignition wires - broken inside insulation and shorting out
3. Coil bad
4. Ignition Timing not set properly - Late timing
5. Electric fuel pump-faulty pressure loss
6. Water in fuel causing lean fuel condition
7. Carb Accelerator pump sticking
8, Choke open or sticking
9. Anti-syphon valve clogged
10. Firing order - Plugs not connected correctly to Distributor
11. Carb jets clogged
12. Bad Valve
------------------------------------------------------------------
1. Ignition module.....??

2. Ignition wires - broken inside insulation and shorting out. Spark Plug Wires?? They are now new...YES?

3. Coil bad. MAYBE

4. Ignition Timing not set properly - Late timing. Timing does NOT CHANGE by itself. Timing once set is good for the life of the engine. Period. The timing is adjusted by "twisting" the distributer one way or the other and then tightening it back up. CHECK IT: Grab a hold of the distributer with both hands and try to twist it. IF it turns..then your timing is OFF because the clamp down screw is loose. If it's loose..come back here and ask how to fix it.

5. Electric fuel pump-faulty pressure loss. DO You KNOW that you HAVE an Electric fuel pump..??..or did someone just TELL you..?? My 5.7 Mercruiser V8 (1986) has a mechanical pump.

6. Water in fuel causing lean fuel condition. Water does NOT LEAN the mixture. It will just "WET" the spark plugs and stop the engine.

7. Carb Accelerator pump sticking. This only comes in to play when you GAS IT....pedal to the metal...

8, Choke open or sticking. Choke is supposed to be open when the engine is warm. It's automatic. Take off the "flame arrester" (looks like an air filter) and look at the choke..when it's COLD, .......and after it warm. It looks like a little door that is shut when cold. Good. When it warms up..the little door should be fully open. GOOD.

9. Anti-syphon valve clogged. In all my years (I'm 67) working on engines: I have NO IDEA what an Anti Syphon Valve is.

10. Firing order - Plugs not connected correctly to Distributor. If the engine runs at all.....this is unlikely. If Two plugs are miswired..switched..the engine will NEVER run smoothly.

11. Carb jets clogged. This IS Possable..ETHONAL.

12. Bad Valve. What valve? NOT Likely

BIGDOG: Cheer up..You are getting close to the solution.
NoBozo is offline   Reply With Quote