Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Faro for sale at the Weirs (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24329)

Irish mist 04-15-2019 06:29 PM

Faro for sale at the Weirs
 
Faro's at the Weirs is for sale if you want it for 1.8 million dollars.

WinnisquamZ 04-15-2019 07:03 PM

Where are you getting this notice from?


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

joey2665 04-15-2019 07:20 PM

I wonder if this is because Faro Express is doing well?


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Jeanzb1 04-15-2019 07:24 PM

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/70-E...a-NH/14791957/


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

WinnisquamZ 04-15-2019 07:31 PM

Wow, was just there Friday evening. Know they are having a difficult time retaining help. Chefs to staff. Package the drive in and Faro and you have your self a nice lot


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

joey2665 04-15-2019 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 309697)
Wow, was just there Friday evening. Know they are having a difficult time retaining help. Chefs to staff. Package the drive in and Faro and you have your self a nice lot


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Unfortunately as we have learned the Drive In has serious environmental issues hindering development.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

WinnisquamZ 04-15-2019 07:39 PM

True, nothing deep pockets could not take care of. Dam, if they were able to build a Casino on that toxic waste dump in Everett Mass. Any thing is possible. Also, what a great spot for NHís first Casino


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

joey2665 04-15-2019 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 309699)
True, nothing deep pockets could not take care of. Dam, if they were able to build a Casino on that toxic waste dump in Everett Mass. Any thing is possible. Also, what a great spot for NH’s first Casino


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

I agree it’s an awesome location with a hotel in the vacant land across the street and deep pockets certainly would be needed. Traffic could become an issue but that is fixable.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

8gv 04-15-2019 08:04 PM

I know nothing about Faro being for sale but...

This is likely to be a very aggravating hiring season.

In the restaurant business you have two places that make life miserable.

No business or no help.

Again, I know nothing about their situation but if I were on the fence about leaving, this coming summer would likely push me over.

joey2665 04-15-2019 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8gv (Post 309703)
I know nothing about Faro being for sale but...

This is likely to be a very aggravating hiring season.

In the restaurant business you have two places that make life miserable.

No business or no help.

Again, I know nothing about their situation but if I were on the fence about leaving, this coming summer would likely push me over.

Just like last season. I hope it’s not a repeat of restaurants not being able to use their full capacity because tables cannot be covered by wait and bus staff.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Biggd 04-16-2019 06:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 309707)
Just like last season. I hope itís not a repeat of restaurants not being able to use their full capacity because tables cannot be covered by wait and bus staff.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

So far I've haven't experienced that at the places I've gone but it may change as the peak season approaches.

fatlazyless 04-16-2019 06:27 AM

So, I've never set foot inside Faro, or the prior Lobster Pound, so how much do you expect to pay there for a big, fancy-dancy dinner with everything?

www.faroitaliangrille.com/menu ..... looks very expensive compared to staying home and making tuna fish, rice, and canned pineapple aka a one pot backpacker style dish!

Face it ..... the Weirs Beach area is basically doomed to be an economic flop forever .... if you want to pin the blame on any one reason .... attach fault to the NH Veteran's Assoc line of about eight old, waterfront monstrosity, seasonal buildings that line Shoreline Drive, across from the public docks ..... and, ditto that blame for Bike Week, too.

One big reason why the NH Veteran's Assoc buildings can survive on that waterfront land is because it pays no property taxes and makes most of its revenue from sidewalk space rental use during Bike Week. Enough revenue to maintain the buildings with new roof shingles, new exterior paint, and ongoing maintenance. In 1923 or so, the NH legislature some how donated the land to the Veterans Assoc, so it will probably be there, forever.

These NH Veterans building basically occupy commercial waterfront land, and are basically unoccupied, 95% of the time. Is it a museum for these old, unheated, un-foundationed, seasonal, Civil War era buildings ..... or what is it?

It is what it is, as they say, which is what you say, when there's nothing else to say .... you don't say!

joey2665 04-16-2019 08:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 309713)
So far I've haven't experienced that at the places I've gone but it may change as the peak season approaches.

That’s what concerns me, the peak season. I truly hope that I am wrong and the local restaurants can hire a full staff to accommodate patrons.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Biggd 04-16-2019 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 309714)
So, I've never set foot inside Faro, or the prior Lobster Pound, so how much do you expect to pay there for a big, fancy-dancy dinner with everything?

www.faroitaliangrille.com/menu ..... looks very expensive compared to staying home and making tuna fish, rice, and canned pineapple aka a one pot backpacker style dish!

Face it ..... the Weirs Beach area is basically doomed to be an economic flop forever .... if you want to pin the blame on any one reason .... attach fault to the NH Veteran's Assoc line of about eight old, waterfront monstrosity, seasonal buildings that line Shoreline Drive, across from the public docks ..... and, ditto that blame for Bike Week, too.

One big reason why the NH Veteran's Assoc buildings can survive on that waterfront land is because it pays no property taxes and makes most of its revenue from sidewalk space rental use during Bike Week. Enough revenue to maintain the buildings with new roof shingles, new exterior paint, and ongoing maintenance. In 1923 or so, the NH legislature some how donated the land to the Veterans Assoc, so it will probably be there, forever.

These NH Veterans building basically occupy commercial waterfront land, and are basically unoccupied, 95% of the time. Is it a museum for these old, unheated, un-foundationed, seasonal, Civil War era buildings ..... or what is it?

It is what it is, as they say, which is what you say, when there's nothing else to say .... you don't say!

They are a little more expensive than your usual hang out, McDonalds. :D

VitaBene 04-16-2019 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 309714)
So, I've never set foot inside Faro, or the prior Lobster Pound, so how much do you expect to pay there for a big, fancy-dancy dinner with everything?

www.faroitaliangrille.com/menu ..... looks very expensive compared to staying home and making tuna fish, rice, and canned pineapple aka a one pot backpacker style dish!

Face it ..... the Weirs Beach area is basically doomed to be an economic flop forever .... if you want to pin the blame on any one reason .... attach fault to the NH Veteran's Assoc line of about eight old, waterfront monstrosity, seasonal buildings that line Shoreline Drive, across from the public docks ..... and, ditto that blame for Bike Week, too.

One big reason why the NH Veteran's Assoc buildings can survive on that waterfront land is because it pays no property taxes and makes most of its revenue from sidewalk space rental use during Bike Week. Enough revenue to maintain the buildings with new roof shingles, new exterior paint, and ongoing maintenance. In 1923 or so, the NH legislature some how donated the land to the Veterans Assoc, so it will probably be there, forever.

These NH Veterans building basically occupy commercial waterfront land, and are basically unoccupied, 95% of the time. Is it a museum for these old, unheated, un-foundationed, seasonal, Civil War era buildings ..... or what is it?

It is what it is, as they say, which is what you say, when there's nothing else to say .... you don't say!

Please explain how bike week negatively impacts the Weirs or redevelopment of it? It occurs before peak season. Biketember fest was a huge economic booster last year as well.

joey2665 04-16-2019 08:13 AM

Faro for sale at the Weirs
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by VitaBene (Post 309723)
Please explain how bike week negatively impacts the Weirs or redevelopment of it? It occurs before peak season. Biketember fest was a huge economic booster last year as well.

I think his point is that land remains stagnant and undeveloped in the area because the owners are happy with just the income generated by bike week. I am certainly not against bike week but I would also like to see the Weir’s turnaround and be redeveloped for more of a 365 day a year benefit not just 2 weeks in June and a week in September


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Biggd 04-16-2019 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 309721)
Thatís what concerns me, the peak season. I truly hope that I am wrong and the local restaurants can hire a full staff to accommodate patrons.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

The more expensive places will get all the good help. They tend to make more money in tips because the tabs are higher. The smaller mom and pop places will have a had time finding quality help. I'm sure price increases will follow.

joey2665 04-16-2019 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 309726)
The more expensive places will get all the good help. They tend to make more money in tips because the tabs are higher. The smaller mom and pop places will have a had time finding quality help. I'm sure price increases will follow.

Last year twice while eating at Canoe they were not using all their tables because of low wait and bus staff.

Biggd 04-16-2019 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 309727)
Last year twice while eating at Canoe they were not using all their tables because of low wait and bus staff.

Employees have the upper hand for a change. My wife took a retirement buy out from her
company with 2 years pay and health insurance.
She just got a part time job in retail working 3 days a week 5 hours a day to keep busy. She told them she wasn't going to work weekends or more than 3 days a week. That doesn't stop them from asking but they are so strained for employees right now that she calls the shots.
It's a good time to be retired and pick up a part time job.

Taz 04-16-2019 10:45 AM

Weirs
 
Don't worry THE DIVE is coming to the Weirs! That will fix everything.

:cheers:

Andromeda321 04-16-2019 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 309698)
Unfortunately as we have learned the Drive In has serious environmental issues hindering development.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

What were those? I was wondering why the sale fell through.

joey2665 04-16-2019 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andromeda321 (Post 309742)
What were those? I was wondering why the sale fell through.

Mostly historical Indian artifacts the would have to be excavated in additional to oil/fuel in the soil


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Woodsy 04-16-2019 11:52 AM

Getting decent help is a HUGE issue in the Weirs.... Nobody wants to work, drug problems, etc etc. One local business actually had to put "must shower daily" in their help wanted ad.....

The guys & staff @Faro have been GREAT to me! It would be sad to see them sell, but business is business. Cheers to continued success!

Woodsy

Biggd 04-16-2019 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy (Post 309744)
Getting decent help is a HUGE issue in the Weirs.... Nobody wants to work, drug problems, etc etc. One local business actually had to put "must shower daily" in their help wanted ad.....

The guys & staff @Faro have been GREAT to me! It would be sad to see them sell, but business is business. Cheers to continued success!

Woodsy

I remember 20 years ago when we had a help shortage, we use to joke about the "mirror test". If you put a mirror at their mouth and it fogs up they're good to go! :laugh::laugh::laugh:

8gv 04-16-2019 09:41 PM

When I owned my business I used to envy (a little) the sign shop.

Bad times? Sell lots of signs for deals and discounts.

Good times? Sell lots of "now hiring" signs.

brk-lnt 04-17-2019 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 8gv (Post 309778)
When I owned my business I used to envy (a little) the sign shop.

Bad times? Sell lots of signs for deals and discounts.

Good times? Sell lots of "now hiring" signs.

It's a tough business, overheard to start is pretty minimal, lots of DIYers without the overhead of a storefront, and unit price is pretty cheap for the time invested. I often wonder how the sign shops manage to stay in business, I think it often comes down to a few marquee accounts that cover the baseline.

LIforrelaxin 04-17-2019 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 309725)
I think his point is that land remains stagnant and undeveloped in the area because the owners are happy with just the income generated by bike week. I am certainly not against bike week but I would also like to see the Weirís turnaround and be redeveloped for more of a 365 day a year benefit not just 2 weeks in June and a week in September


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

So this is indeed one of the issue. Land owners create significant amounts of money with just bike week, because of it popularity. Why would you want to invest more money, if your making a profit that your happy with by sitting on undeveloped land.....

I have stated many times, that the State and the City of Laconia, need to work with the land owners to make it viable to develop some of the large parcels of land, and do it in such a way that will invite other events (craft fairs, boat shows, etc.) into the area.... That area down there could become so much more, and not loose the Weirs image... But all involved need to want it... However if they wait just enough longer, it will become the next Meredith tourist area and will be lost... As high Stakes developers will move in....

Biggd 04-17-2019 10:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LIforrelaxin (Post 309797)
So this is indeed one of the issue. Land owners create significant amounts of money with just bike week, because of it popularity. Why would you want to invest more money, if your making a profit that your happy with by sitting on undeveloped land.....

I have stated many times, that the State and the City of Laconia, need to work with the land owners to make it viable to develop some of the large parcels of land, and do it in such a way that will invite other events (craft fairs, boat shows, etc.) into the area.... That area down there could become so much more, and not loose the Weirs image... But all involved need to want it... However if they wait just enough longer, it will become the next Meredith tourist area and will be lost... As high Stakes developers will move in....

I don't think they will ever become the next Meredith if that's what you are worried about. Their taxes is too high to encourage development and they discourage change.

Woodsy 04-17-2019 10:54 AM

Believe it or not... there is not a whole lot more that can be done when it comes to Weirs development without possibly incurring HUGE expense!

I think the biggest stumbling block will be the archaeology of the area.... as we came to see in the failed bid for the Drive-In. All it will take is the discovery of bones or artifacts and the project stops dead.

The parcel next to Cumby's could sell to a hotel chain, but archaeology.... not to mention court battles with the Veterans when it comes to runoff, noise, etc etc.

Faro property could sell... but developing the field above? archaeology....

So when you couple the high initial purchase price, with the potential to find bones or artifacts, The Weirs quickly becomes a developers nightmare.

Surf Coaster could be rezoned and become a residential neighborhood, but the city has clearly indicated they want a hotel there.

Woodsy

joey2665 04-17-2019 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy (Post 309806)
Believe it or not... there is not a whole lot more that can be done when it comes to Weirs development without possibly incurring HUGE expense!

I think the biggest stumbling block will be the archaeology of the area.... as we came to see in the failed bid for the Drive-In. All it will take is the discovery of bones or artifacts and the project stops dead.

The parcel next to Cumby's could sell to a hotel chain, but archaeology.... not to mention court battles with the Veterans when it comes to runoff, noise, etc etc.

Faro property could sell... but developing the field above? archaeology....

So when you couple the high initial purchase price, with the potential to find bones or artifacts, The Weirs quickly becomes a developers nightmare.

Surf Coaster could be rezoned and become a residential neighborhood, but the city has clearly indicated they want a hotel there.

Woodsy

I knew the archaeological issues with the Drive In but did not know the parcel next to Cumby had the same issues. As far as run off and noise those issues can be easily resolved

The city can hope for a hotel all they want at the Surf Coaster site but if they are not willing to assist and facilitate the project no one will develop the location.

As "LI" has stated you need 3 interested parties (owner, developer and city) working together for a common goal of improve the area and economy of the city but until this happens the area will stay stagnant

Biggd 04-17-2019 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 309807)
I knew the archaeological issues with the Drive In but did not know the parcel next to Cumby had the same issues. As far as run off and noise those issues can be easily resolved

The city can hope for a hotel all they want at the Surf Coaster site but if they are not willing to assist and facilitate the project no one will develop the location.

As "LI" has stated you need 3 interested parties (owner, developer and city) working together for a common goal of improve the area and economy of the city but until this happens the area will stay stagnant

The Surf Coaster site is not an great site for a hotel developer, no view of the lake. On the other hand the property next to Cumby has a nice view and would be an ideal hotel site if city could get their act together.

joey2665 04-17-2019 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 309809)
The Surf Coaster site is not an great site for a hotel developer, no view of the lake. On the other hand the property next to Cumby has a nice view and would be an ideal hotel site if city could get their act together.



I agree itís not a great site but the city is hung up on it unfortunately


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

bman60 04-17-2019 01:32 PM

Maybe a developer could offer to build the veterans a new building at a different location so the area could be developed.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Bigstan 04-17-2019 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bman60 (Post 309815)
Maybe a developer could offer to build the veterans a new building at a different location so the area could be developed.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Build new veteran building/compound at the old Surf Coaster site, raze everything from the old waterslide to the corner at Tower Hill and start fresh? That's a great first step I would say.

Woodsy 04-17-2019 02:31 PM

Bman & BigStan....

Why should the veterans get the short end of the stick? Especially on property that has been theirs since just after the Civil War?


Woodsy

Bigstan 04-17-2019 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woodsy (Post 309818)
Bman & BigStan....

Why should the veterans get the short end of the stick? Especially on property that has been theirs since just after the Civil War?


Woodsy

I would call building something new that isn't just a row of run-down eyesores an upgrade - I think anyone would be happy to have an up to date building / facility. That's hardly the short end of the stick.

I don't see those buildings getting a lot of use even in summertime, and right now they are just plain in the way, everything on that side of the street up to the Half Moon is just bad.

gilfordboater 04-18-2019 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 309699)
True, nothing deep pockets could not take care of. Dam, if they were able to build a Casino on that toxic waste dump in Everett Mass. Any thing is possible. Also, what a great spot for NHís first Casino


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

NH's first Casino?

https://www.lakesregioncasino.com/

WinnisquamZ 04-18-2019 06:22 PM

You know itís not a real Casino. It is a state gaming center that gives 35% to charity.


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Mr. V 04-18-2019 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 309879)
You know itís not a real Casino. It is a state gaming center that gives 35% to charity.

What about putting a REAL casino in at the Surf Coaster site, and adjoining land if it can be made available?

The good folks at MGM or Mohegan Sun might be interested. ;)

TiltonBB 04-19-2019 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. V (Post 309880)
What about putting a REAL casino in at the Surf Coaster site, and adjoining land if it can be made available?

The good folks at MGM or Mohegan Sun might be interested. ;)

Just those "good folks?" What about other not so good folks? You don't want to extend the invitation to Steve Wynn and Wynn Resorts?

https://www.bostonherald.com/2019/04...asino-license/

Major 08-02-2019 05:43 AM

Just read that Faroís is closed.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Paugus Bay Resident 08-02-2019 06:02 AM

Lack of workers

https://www.laconiadailysun.com/news...17954193a.html

joey2665 08-02-2019 06:10 AM

Faro for sale at the Weirs
 
Bad news. I hate to see good local restaurants close for the season especially because of lack of labor.

Note: in case you didnít read the article they plan to reopen May 2020 hiring foreign workers to staff the Resturant.

A sign of the times in our workforce

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Biggd 08-02-2019 06:18 AM

That's really too bad. I liked Faro's but I can understand his frustration. It's better to close it down and still be in the good graces of his customers rather than let the service and food go downhill and pi$$ everyone off.
I hope he reopens in the spring!

WinnisquamZ 08-02-2019 08:02 AM

Last May we were having dinner at the bar and remember speaking with the staff about how difficult a time they were having hiring help for the summer. However, he did put the business and building up for sale last month. Any full time staff would have moved on once they announced the listing. Many good opportunities around at other well run establishments to wait it out. Because he is selling not sure why he had to say he looks forward to reopening with foreign up


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Biggd 08-02-2019 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 316614)
Last May we were having dinner at the bar and remember speaking with the staff about how difficult a time they were having hiring help for the summer. However, he did put the business and building up for sale last month. Any full time staff would have moved on once they announced the listing. Many good opportunities around at other well run establishments to wait it out. Because he is selling not sure why he had to say he looks forward to reopening with foreign up


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Every Everyone is having a problem with help.
I'm not sure where he thinks all these foreign workers are going to come from?
Eventually lack of foreign workers and our new protectionist policies are going to drive the cost of everything up. It remains to be seen if wage increases follow suit.

joey2665 08-02-2019 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 316614)
Last May we were having dinner at the bar and remember speaking with the staff about how difficult a time they were having hiring help for the summer. However, he did put the business and building up for sale last month. Any full time staff would have moved on once they announced the listing. Many good opportunities around at other well run establishments to wait it out. Because he is selling not sure why he had to say he looks forward to reopening with foreign up


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

If they are in fact still selling (the LoopNet ad is still active) closing and public knowledge of a lacking workforce in the area will certainly not help the sale price.

Taz 08-02-2019 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 316615)
Every Everyone is having a problem with help.
I'm not sure where he thinks all these foreign workers are going to come from?
Eventually lack of foreign workers and our new protectionist policies are going to drive the cost of everything up. It remains to be seen if wage increases follow suit.

Naswa every spring tries to get temp foreign help. Trump did lower the limit allowed but I think that was raised again. If Faro did not apply for that help before maybe they will now. Attitash Ski Area hires several temp foreign workers every year to help run lifts usually from South American, Peru, Chile, Argentina.

The Real BigGuy 08-02-2019 10:44 AM

Of course Trump raised the number of H-1B & L-1 visas. He needs foreign workers for his hotels and resorts


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Hillcountry 08-02-2019 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Real BigGuy (Post 316623)
Of course Trump raised the number of H-1B & L-1 visas. He needs foreign workers for his hotels and resorts


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

As do thousands of other hotels and businesses...:rolleye1:

8gv 08-02-2019 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 316617)
If they are in fact still selling (the LoopNet ad is still active) closing and public knowledge of a lacking workforce in the area will certainly not help the sale price.

That is true for the potential buyer who wishes to operate the property as a restaurant.

Maybe it will be used differently by a different type of buyer.

LIforrelaxin 08-02-2019 11:31 AM

Faro is not the only business facing staffing issues. That is always a problem when things are going well with the economy. To top that off, you must look at the fact that many of the people in the category of temporary season help (college students) no longer want to get involved, in waitressing, etc.... and well you have this situation.

Looking at the add I would say that the current owner had some development plans that for zoning reasons may have fallen through. He now wants out.....

With the land up for sale, closing this summer, finding help is going to a huge problem.... More land in the wiers sitting idle.... not good.....

Hillcountry 08-02-2019 12:22 PM

Never got to try the place. Tried once and there was an hour wait with empty tables aplenty...tells the story right there.

Mr. V 08-02-2019 03:21 PM

I wonder how many smaller restaurants hire / staff only family members and therefore have no employee issues?

Phantom 08-02-2019 03:39 PM

To be clear .....

From VERY reliable sources - the Sale of the property is in no way connected to the lack of staff issue.

The owners of Faro’s have been quietly “peddling” the property for YEARS (on & off). Just never listed it until this Spring.

They are two completely separate issues.

joey2665 08-02-2019 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom (Post 316635)
To be clear .....

From VERY reliable sources - the Sale of the property is in no way connected to the lack of staff issue.

The owners of Faro’s have been quietly “peddling” the property for YEARS (on & off). Just never listed it until this Spring.

They are two completely separate issues.

I have no inside knowledge but if I were looking for a job and found out that the business was listed for sale I would think twice before accepting a position especially as we know there are plenty of food service jobs available this season throughout the region.

So they may not be directly related but certainly could be indirectly

FlyingScot 08-02-2019 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Taz (Post 316618)
Naswa every spring tries to get temp foreign help. Trump did lower the limit allowed but I think that was raised again. If Faro did not apply for that help before maybe they will now. Attitash Ski Area hires several temp foreign workers every year to help run lifts usually from South American, Peru, Chile, Argentina.

C'mon--All of us, whether Trump supporters or critics, should be able to agree that he has made it much more difficult to hire foreign workers

Descant 08-03-2019 12:10 AM

Disagree
 
I don't agree with that, but I'm not aware of detailed knowledge on that but I believe Gov Sununu was trying to raise the limit from 33000 to 40000. Maybe not the exact numbers. Local kids want "career related" internships, often at no pay, not practical experience retail/resort jobs. Kids now take loans instead of "working their way" through college. Easy, but bad choice, and their parents let them do it. My kids paid their loans off and they surely won't vote for Pocahontas and loan forgiveness, nor will I.

Seaplane Pilot 08-03-2019 05:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FlyingScot (Post 316640)
C'mon--All of us, whether Trump supporters or critics, should be able to agree that he has made it much more difficult to hire foreign workers

And there you have it, just blame Trump. According to this article, thatís not the case: https://cis.org/Huennekens/Latest-Tr...erican-Workers

So I get it now...itís ALL Trumpís fault!

The Dive parking at the pier = Trumpís fault
No wake Zone violators = Trumpís fault
Farm Island development = Trumpís fault
New 53í yacht on lake = Trumpís fault
People not wearing PFDís = Trumpís fault
Huge floating rafts = Trumpís fault
No fried clams at Popís = Trumpís fault
Entitled punk parking on neighborís dock without permission = Trumpís fault
Lousy restaurant food = Trumpís fault
Fast boats = Trumpís fault
Slow wake surfing boats = Trumpís fault
Big waves = Trumpís fault
Mega mansions on lake = Trumpís fault
Drop in loon population = Trumpís fault
Rock bass = Trumpís fault
E-Coli at Weirs beach = Trumpís fault
Long waits for any type of contractor = Trumpís fault
Warm beer = Trumpís fault

Wow, no wonder the left hates him - can you blame them! :rolleye1:

thinkxingu 08-03-2019 05:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 316642)
I don't agree with that... Pocahontas...

Of course you don't, but, in addition to policy, the climate he has created around immigration and foreigners has had an impact on more than just workers. Just one example: my (former) summer school program lost two separate international programs--South America and China--because both are worried about the relations between countries. Those were half of the program, which led to, get this, American kids being laid off from their camp staff positions.

There are also real questions about the decline in tourism, the H1-B visa for educated/tech workers, and the late spring addition of H1-B visas too late for many businesses.

A few years ago, the Half Moon pizza shop at the Weirs was run entirely by Russian students--is that the case? (It didn't make their pizza any better or their prices less criminal, by the way).

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

thinkxingu 08-03-2019 05:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot (Post 316645)
And there you have it, just blame Trump. According to this article, thatís not the case: https://cis.org/Huennekens/Latest-Tr...erican-Workers

So I get it now...itís ALL Trumpís fault!

The Dive parking at the pier = Trumpís fault
No wake Zone violators = Trumpís fault
Farm Island development = Trumpís fault
New 53í yacht on lake = Trumpís fault
People not wearing PFDís = Trumpís fault
Huge floating rafts = Trumpís fault
No fried clams at Popís = Trumpís fault
Entitled punk parking on neighborís dock without permission = Trumpís fault
Lousy restaurant food = Trumpís fault
Fast boats = Trumpís fault
Slow wake surfing boats = Trumpís fault
Big waves = Trumpís fault
Mega mansions on lake = Trumpís fault
Drop in loon population = Trumpís fault
Rock bass = Trumpís fault
E-Coli at Weirs beach = Trumpís fault
Long waits for any type of contractor = Trumpís fault
Warm beer = Trumpís fault

Wow, no wonder the left hates him - can you blame them! :rolleye1:

Did you really just cite The Center for Immigration Studies as an objective, reliable source?! Define: confirmation bias.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Seaplane Pilot 08-03-2019 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 316647)
Did you really just cite The Center for Immigration Studies as an objective, reliable source?! Define: confirmation bias.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Not my fault - Trump made me do it. So why donít you provide a link to a ďnon-biasedĒ article that supports your point?

thinkxingu 08-03-2019 05:58 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot (Post 316648)
Not my fault - Trump made me do it. So why donít you provide a link to a ďnon-biasedĒ article that supports your point?

Take your pick. Though this was about your source and point, as mine was specific to my industry and experiences, but whatevs, right? I added a second image, so you know what logical fallacy you committed in addition to confirmation bias.Attachment 15166Attachment 15168

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Seaplane Pilot 08-03-2019 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 316650)
Take your pick. Though this was about your source and point, as mine was specific to my industry and experiences, but whatevs, right? I added a second image, so you know what logical fallacy you committed in addition to confirmation bias.Attachment 15166Attachment 15168

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

ďConfirmation biasĒ....I have to remember that one. And you claim Time Magazine and Bloomberg are not biased?

thinkxingu 08-03-2019 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot (Post 316651)
ďConfirmation biasĒ....I have to remember that one. And you claim Time Magazine and Bloomberg are not biased?

There are 8 sources there, and if you search you'll find it's the reality--local business owners have also posted about the difficulty in the past.

Listen, I'm not being snarky because I enjoy it, but confirmation bias is a real thing that's affecting America (the world?) and Americans' abilities to have real conversation. When someone posts "Pocahontas" or an obviously biased article/source, any real potential in that discussion is immediately destroyed because it's immediately not open-minded. I, too, am at risk for confirmation bias, but I try my absolute best to be aware of it.

That being said, the Lakes Region is struggling big time with employment--Red Hill Dari opened late with limited hours, Faro just closed, the AT&T store closed, The Bob House and Canoe almost always have tables they can't sit, etc. etc. We really need to start having serious conversations about solutions.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Seaplane Pilot 08-03-2019 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 316655)
There are 8 sources there, and if you search you'll find it's the reality--local business owners have also posted about the difficulty in the past.

Listen, I'm not being snarky because I enjoy it, but confirmation bias is a real thing that's affecting America (the world?) and Americans' abilities to have real conversation. When someone posts "Pocahontas" or an obviously biased article/source, any real potential in that discussion is immediately destroyed because it's immediately not open-minded. I, too, am at risk for confirmation bias, but I try my absolute best to be aware of it.

That being said, the Lakes Region is struggling big time with employment--Red Hill Dari opened late with limited hours, Faro just closed, the AT&T store closed, The Bob House and Canoe almost always have tables they can't sit, etc. etc. We really need to start having serious conversations about solutions.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Thatís all well & good. My point was that these knee-jerk reactions to blame Trump for EVERYTHING have no basis in reality. Forgot all this stuff, go out in the boat, grab a cold drink and have a great day on the water!

thinkxingu 08-03-2019 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot (Post 316656)
...go out in the boat, grab a cold drink and have a great day on the water!

On that, we can agree. Cheers! [emoji482]

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Top-Water 08-03-2019 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seaplane Pilot (Post 316645)
So I get it now...itís ALL Trumpís fault!

The Dive parking at the pier = Trumpís fault
No wake Zone violators = Trumpís fault
Farm Island development = Trumpís fault
New 53í yacht on lake = Trumpís fault
People not wearing PFDís = Trumpís fault
Huge floating rafts = Trumpís fault
No fried clams at Popís = Trumpís fault
Entitled punk parking on neighborís dock without permission = Trumpís fault
Lousy restaurant food = Trumpís fault
Fast boats = Trumpís fault
Slow wake surfing boats = Trumpís fault
Big waves = Trumpís fault
Mega mansions on lake = Trumpís fault
Drop in loon population = Trumpís fault
Rock bass = Trumpís fault
E-Coli at Weirs beach = Trumpís fault
Long waits for any type of contractor = Trumpís fault
Warm beer = Trumpís fault

Wow, no wonder the left hates him - can you blame them! :rolleye1:

I'm sorry .......... but the funniest thing I have seen today.

WinnisquamZ 08-03-2019 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 316655)
There are 8 sources there, and if you search you'll find it's the reality--local business owners have also posted about the difficulty in the past.

Listen, I'm not being snarky because I enjoy it, but confirmation bias is a real thing that's affecting America (the world?) and Americans' abilities to have real conversation. When someone posts "Pocahontas" or an obviously biased article/source, any real potential in that discussion is immediately destroyed because it's immediately not open-minded. I, too, am at risk for confirmation bias, but I try my absolute best to be aware of it.

That being said, the Lakes Region is struggling big time with employment--Red Hill Dari opened late with limited hours, Faro just closed, the AT&T store closed, The Bob House and Canoe almost always have tables they can't sit, etc. etc. We really need to start having serious conversations about solutions.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

The discussion topic maybe one of many restaurants and service related businesses need to reassess. Does one need to open a 300 seat location? Their are many examples of local establishments in the area that seat small numbers and are very successful. The lake region population is changing and the local businesses must adapt or close


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

TiltonBB 09-03-2019 02:20 PM

Faro's has sold.

joey2665 09-03-2019 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 318888)
Faro's has sold.

Any idea who? Maybe Baygo?


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

sum-r breeze 09-03-2019 03:23 PM

Still going to be a restaurant?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 318888)
Faro's has sold.

Any reopening date? Same type of food? So sorry they closed in the first place, they were one of our favorites!!

baygo 09-03-2019 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 318894)
Any idea who? Maybe Baygo?


Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

We can squish that rumor right away. But thanks for thinking of me.

SAMIAM 09-04-2019 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pondguy (Post 318895)
Maybe SAMIAM ?

Not guilty ! Happy where I am

Phantom 09-06-2019 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TiltonBB (Post 318888)
Faro's has sold.

Tilton -- I always take your (inside) info as genuine & fact based.

Now spill it ….. WHO bought it and give us some of the details of what to expect ……. and most importantly - WHEN will it reopen !
I'm tired of hunting around for a new spot :D

Descant 09-06-2019 08:42 AM

No facts please
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom (Post 319073)
Tilton -- I always take your (inside) info as genuine & fact based.

Now spill it Ö.. WHO bought it and give us some of the details of what to expect ÖÖ. and most importantly - WHEN will it reopen

Facts are nowhere near as much fun as rumors and speculation, at least until the transfer is recorded. I'm hoping for a lobster specialty venue.

Phantom 10-29-2019 12:17 PM

TiltonBB --- SOOOO What's the story ?

It's been over a month now ……….. any update? Is it truly sold ?

Inquiring minds (and hungry stomach's) need to know the details --

Who bought it?
What style of food?
When will it re-open?

and anything else you might have uncovered :laugh:


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.