Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   A question of protocol (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=19859)

jetskier 09-19-2015 09:12 PM

A question of protocol

We went to a local restaurant this evening (it was busy) and spotted two open seats at the bar. When we sat down, the bartender told us that the seats were taken by two people who were out getting a smoke. There was nothing on the bar and no belongings on the chairs. We left and went elsewhere.

So, the question is whether this is proper protocol or not? I always thought that seats at a bar are unreserved. Were we incorrect in thinking that the seats should be available (without anyone there) or was the restaurant incorrect to hold seats when the patrons came in claimed them and were out smoking? Inquiring minds want to know. :D

Jetskier:cool:

Resident 2B 09-19-2015 10:34 PM

Although I am no expert in "bar stool protocol", my opinion is if there is a drink or food in front of the stool, then it is an occupied seat. No drink and/or food means it is an open stool.

The smoking thing is something that happens, so a short amount of time off the stool for a smoke or a toilet call is something that happens, but to hold the seat, there should be some evidence of it being used. If the bar in front of the seat is clean, the seat should be open and available to anyone.

A bartender holding a stool for a buddy or two that have not yet arrived should be fired. I would have talked to management, then walked out.

Again, I do not claim to be an expert, but I am experienced! :)

R2B

thinkxingu 09-20-2015 05:13 AM

I can't think of a reason there'd be nothing marking their seats if they'd already been there, so I can only assume (as the person above did) that bartender was saving seats. I, too, would have mentioned it to management and left.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

wifi 09-20-2015 05:43 AM

I too would have left. Not sure I would mention it to management as I wouldn't want to be served by a bartender I just got into trouble.

Wonder what Jon Taffer would think :)

brk-lnt 09-20-2015 06:30 AM

It sounds like the seats were being held for someone not there yet.

Either way, they were "spoken for". I have a couple of favorite spots where if I called and asked for 2 seats to be held at the bar for me it would be done.

You can argue if it's right or wrong, personally I wouldn't get too worked up over it.

Phantom 09-20-2015 07:06 AM

You ask about "Protocal"

I am a smoker & also travel extensively..... Thus finding myself in hotel bars quite often (alone) for cocktails and often dinner.

Your situation sounds quite fishy to me, if I had yet to order a drink ( nothing on the bar) then I simply would have had a smoke prior to sitting down. Once seated, should I have to go to the restroom or out for a smoke the protocal I follow is notify the bartender/barmaid primarily so they don't think I'm skipping out on the bill then place a paper bar nap over the top of your drink.

Point is..... It is QUITE strange there wasn't at least a drink at the stools..... Seems the bartender was holding the spot, which I personally don't like.

Just my two cents from traveling

Joebon 09-21-2015 06:49 AM

They could have taken their drinks with them when they went for a smoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

camp guy 09-21-2015 07:26 AM

Protocol

Not necessarily, joebon, depends upon local rules with respect to State rules as to what and where you can carry a drink with you.

belly_button_biter 09-21-2015 08:55 AM

one of my favorite places takes reservations at the bar. They always have a sign that reads "reserved" when we arrived.

eyenotall777 09-21-2015 11:27 AM

In most cases if that was the fact that they were outside, the Bartender will usually have their running tab in a cup or glass in front of the seats at the edge of the bar (on Bartenders side) regardless if they had belongings on bar or chair(s).

They may not necessarily have a drink or food at the time. Same if they went to the restroom.

I am not taking either side, just offering info (insight) as to how most Bartenders run the bar seating:)

Joebon 09-23-2015 07:01 AM

Camp guy, I said "could have". I was just offering an alternative because everyone assumed the bartender was at fault. As for state rules, I believe NH allows drinking outside in a roped off area. Although, I have do doubt I will be corrected if my belief is wrong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jbolty 09-23-2015 09:17 AM

The "rule" in every bar I've ever been in is if the space is empty with no drink and no tab then it's open. If you're leaving for a short while you should order another drink so it's there when you get back. Furthermore if your existing drink is more than half empty you cover it with a napkin or coaster.

If the bartender is saving the seat, right or wrong, there's no point in calling them out on it. Your service will suffer if the point is pressed, just go elsewhere.

Billy Bob 09-29-2015 07:21 AM

Names

So where was this done ?
In the words of the Donald don't be politically correct

Outdoorsman 10-01-2015 06:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billy Bob (Post 252248)
So where was this done ?
In the words of the Donald don't be politically correct

Local to North Reading, MA or South Down Shores

That should be plenty.

jetskier 10-05-2015 08:28 PM

Lakes Region

This was a lakes region restaurant. Don't want to out anyone - does not serve a purpose.

Jetskier:cool: