Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Winni Wildlife (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   strange animal spotted (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17432)

witchboat 04-30-2014 06:55 AM

strange animal spotted

This past weekend I saw an animal in a tree that looked like a monkey. It was dark brown, had long arms with elbows, and a a long wide tail. It looked like a monkey, or sloth, and was about 50ft up a tree eating fresh shoots.
Anyone know what this may be?

PaugusBayFireFighter 04-30-2014 07:03 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by witchboat (Post 223822)
This past weekend I saw an animal in a tree that looked like a monkey. It was dark brown, had long arms with elbows, and a a long wide tail. It looked like a monkey, or sloth, and was about 50ft up a tree eating fresh shoots.

That description could fit any one of my sons, but it could also be a Pine Marten?

pcmc 04-30-2014 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaugusBayFireFighter (Post 223824)
That description could fit any one of my sons, but it could also be a Pine Marten?

Hahaha , that's great .

This looks like a mix between a squirrel and a cat. I've never seen one.

jmen24 04-30-2014 01:28 PM

Quote:

I would love to answer your question, but we have not been able to talk about that "animal" since the "incident" some 10 years ago.

I would recommend removing your post before "they" see it! ;):look:

jmen24 04-30-2014 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pcmc (Post 223825)
Hahaha , that's great .

This looks like a mix between a squirrel and a cat. I've never seen one.

Just don't try to pet it, they are not friendly at all. They have the same attitude as their bigger cousin the Fisher.

Misha888 04-30-2014 09:27 PM

There is an albino . . .

Pine Martin that lives in Canterbury. Personally, I've only seen the minks and muskrat around here. Last year we had a Fisher Cat. Thankfully, it didn't last long around here on Varney Point.

SIKSUKR 05-01-2014 07:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jmen24 (Post 223846)
Just don't try to pet it, they are not friendly at all. They have the same attitude as their bigger cousin the Fisher.

To the contrary,we had a real friendly one at Cannon Mt.We have a hangout near the top of the mt where we barbacue year round and yes,drink a few.Last season he would visit quite often looking for some of our scraps and get within 5 feet of us,

ApS 05-01-2014 08:22 AM

Quote:

This past weekend I saw an animal in a tree that looked like a monkey. It was dark brown, had long arms with elbows, and a long wide tail. It looked like a monkey, or sloth, and was about 50ft up a tree eating fresh shoots.

There are about 1000 monkeys whose population has grown having escaped into the wild in Florida.

That your critter was eating fresh shoots is curious, as being "herbivorous" strongly limits the number of creatures it could have been.

:confused:

jmen24 05-01-2014 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIKSUKR (Post 223876)
To the contrary,we had a real friendly one at Cannon Mt.We have a hangout near the top of the mt where we barbacue year round and yes,drink a few.Last season he would visit quite often looking for some of our scraps and get within 5 feet of us,

The question is, did you try to pet it?:D:laugh:

We had one in Elk Camp in CO last October. Hung around all week, especially after we had game in camp. I would consider them more bold than friendly though, but I did not try to touch it.;)

HayBelly 05-01-2014 09:22 AM

I had to join just to post in this thread. :)

Witchboat, did your creature look like this?

http://u1.ipernity.com/31/21/27/2158...cd43f3.500.jpg

The elusive New England Monkey!

witchboat 05-02-2014 06:54 AM

Monkey?

Yes, that is Exactly what it looked like. way up in a willow tree. Could it really be a monkey.

Slickcraft 05-02-2014 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by witchboat (Post 223937)
Yes, that is Exactly what it looked like. way up in a willow tree. Could it really be a monkey.

Was this during a snipe hunt?:rolleye2:

HayBelly 05-02-2014 08:22 AM

It does look like it, doesn't it? But no, it's a porcupine. :) I shot that picture right in Wolfeboro, in a neighborhood tree. People forget they eat bark, leaves and twigs, and are proficient climbers. I put that picture on Facebook and even a biology major friend of mine couldn't figure out what it was until I told her.

witchboat 05-02-2014 11:36 AM

Thanks HayBelly,
I think you are correct it's a porcupine. And I did see it in wolfeboro
:look:

SteveA 05-02-2014 07:08 PM

Pine Martin

I live along the Gunstock River on the other side of Gilford Village and see Pine Martin often.. saw one early this morning crossing Hoyt Road. We "hear" the Fischers all summer at night.. hate the screaming sounds that they make, it will wake you from a sound sleep.