Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Winni Wildlife (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=30)
-   -   Another Wintering Robin (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13506)

Airedale1 01-17-2012 01:59 PM

Another Wintering Robin

This was again at the Margate on my 2nd trip to check out the Winter Berry tree.

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h3...interRobin.jpg

Jonas Pilot 01-17-2012 04:45 PM

Same on the other side ...

... of the lake. The wife and I got home late afternoon and saw a commotion by the pond where our winterberry bushes live. The birds were putting up quite a ruckus. Note the cedar waxwings in with the robins.

http://youtu.be/0sImIvzuXtA?hd=1

Tired of Waiting 01-18-2012 08:47 AM

Nice Photo

That is one nice photo. Can you give the particulars on the camara, lens and set-up used to tale it?

I'm still learning to take photos with my digital nikon and photos like that one inspire me to learn more and get better at it.

Thanks

ToW

Airedale1 01-18-2012 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tired of Waiting (Post 174616)
That is one nice photo. Can you give the particulars on the camara, lens and set-up used to tale it? I'm still learning to take photos with my digital nikon and photos like that one inspire me to learn more and get better at it. Thanks ToW

Thanks all; ToW this image was taken with a Canon 7D body and Canon 400 f/5.6L lens. The settings were Av Mode (aperture priority for a Nikon) ISO 400 1/500 sec at f/5.6 using spot metering. I used my car as a blind and shot it from the window with a pillow for support.

Tired of Waiting 01-18-2012 02:10 PM

Thank you for the info

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airedale1 (Post 174628)
Thanks all; ToW this image was taken with a Canon 7D body and Canon 400 f/5.6L lens. The settings were Av Mode (aperture priority for a Nikon) ISO 400 1/500 sec at f/5.6 using spot metering. I used my car as a blind and shot it from the window with a pillow for support.

Thanks for the info on the set-up.

I have lots of wildlife around my place and have been shooting them. With a camera that is.:) Some are not bad but every bit of info helps.

ToW

Resident 2B 01-18-2012 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airedale1 (Post 174628)

Are you storing the image in the camera in .jpg or RAW?

Thanks!

R2B

Pineedles 01-18-2012 07:45 PM

Outstanding photo Paul! Are you related to the Merritt Graphics business in Connecticut? They have done outstanding work for me in business related work, but they also blew up, and provided multiple copies of an old Winnipesaukee map for me to distribute to my relatives.

Airedale1 01-18-2012 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Resident 2B (Post 174644)
Are you storing the image in the camera in .jpg or RAW? Thanks! R2B

Always as a jpeg but on the largest setting

Airedale1 01-18-2012 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pineedles (Post 174657)
Outstanding photo Paul! Are you related to the Merritt Graphics business in Connecticut? They have done outstanding work for me in business related work, but they also blew up, and provided multiple copies of an old Winnipesaukee map for me to distribute to my relatives.

Thank you. No, as far as I know not related.

Tired of Waiting 01-19-2012 08:22 AM

R2b

Quote:

Originally Posted by Resident 2B (Post 174644)
Are you storing the image in the camera in .jpg or RAW?

Thanks!

R2B

Like Airedale1 I store the image in .jpg, (see his response below). However I also store them in raw if I think they need touching-up. I find it easier to edit a photo in raw then store the final result in .jpg. However most of the time the original .jpg is the best that can be done. I'm not one of those glamor magazines that air brush the photos to make them perfect.

ToW

Resident 2B 01-19-2012 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tired of Waiting (Post 174675)
Like Airedale1 I store the image in .jpg, (see his response below). However I also store them in raw if I think they need touching-up. I find it easier to edit a photo in raw then store the final result in .jpg. However most of the time the original .jpg is the best that can be done. I'm not one of those glamor magazines that air brush the photos to make them perfect.

ToW

I am most impressed with Airdale1's work. I am more impressed knowing that these are captured in .jpg and not in RAW. RAW gives you the ability to make much better corrections in the digital darkroom. I was thinking Airdale1 had worked these a bit. For straight captures, these are absolutely fantastic. I like his technique of using his car as a blind. Very good thinking.

R2B