Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Outdoor Recreation (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=7)
-   -   swim safe noodle belt-2021! (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27086)

fatlazyless 06-07-2021 12:11 PM

swim safe noodle belt-2021!

Well ......... today is June 7, 2021, the unofficial start of this N.H. summer season according to the daily warm temperature and I'm back with another thread on swim safety with a foam noodle belt.

The water is still chilly, about 65-degrees, too cold for swim safety way out over one's head.

I just came back from a 30-minute swim in the cool 65-degree water and I was truly surprised how good a home made swimmer's belt, made with a noodle cut down to 32" length and a line threaded down the center hole will work to make it easy to go swimming.

Market Basket now has some very good quality 2" x 56" foam noodles for only 1.99 ...... I think ..... but maybe it was 2.99 ...... anyway ..... the 2" diameter noodle trimmed to a length good for your body will make a very happening swim safety belt.

These home made noodle belts work truly fantastic and are dirt cheap to make. It has two parts; a 2" foam noodle cut to 32" length, give or take, and a 5/16 x 60" lightweight polyester line in a matching color that gets threaded down through the noodle center hole to make it a swim safety belt.

Most foam noodles only come in a bright red, blue, yellow, or green but some day I will find one in a flat dark gray that blends good with the swim suit so's people cannot see you are using a flotation noodle as you swim effortlessly, way out there, in the deep water with the big waves.

Let's face it ....... most of us are CRAPPY swimmers ..... and either never go swimming any more, never go out too deep, and have basically given up forever on going swimming.

Well for something less than five bucks, you can learn to swim like you never swam before with your home made foam noodle belt.

What is a foam noodle belt ...... it is somewhat similar to a pfd ..... in a belt .....worn tightly around you waist ...... using a 5/16 line tied off with a simple overhand knot ...... it is that simple.

If you are an older person, a middle aged person, or a young person, this belt will keep you afloat and be centrally balanced at the same time, which is what you need for swimming.

It works great for the breast stroke, side stroke, overhand crawl, back stroke, or just treading water vertically, or resting horizontally. It makes it fun to get out into the water and provides flotation security so you can swim slowly and conserve your energy and strength.

Will a foam noodle belt cure the tinnitus problem? hmmmmm ...... that's an interesting question? ...... ho-hum ...... maybe it will? ..... :D

winniwannabe 06-07-2021 02:04 PM

welcome back FLL! u've been missed. It's so nice to see that the noodle is still ur favorite subject:banana:

fatlazyless 06-09-2021 09:06 AM

So ........ the foam noodles now sold at Market Basket are just $1.99 for a 2"-diameter x 56" blue, green, yellow, or red noodle. 56" is long enough to make two swim safety belts for two adults, with a 30" and a 26" length of buoyancy foam. 2" x 30" of foam noodle tied secure around the waist does a good job providing flotation security for a 200-lb male so you can slowly and deliberately practice your favorite swim stroke which is usually the breast stroke or side stroke as the overhand crawl is a very energy demanding stroke.

Having the flotation security of a swim belt made with a foam noodle tied tightly around your waist really makes a huge difference to your swim ability confidence. Instead of swimming just to stay afloat and avoid going under, and the fear of drowning, it gives you a new confidence out in the deep water.

For swimming it's best to have just a small amount of positive buoyancy, not too much, not too little, but just enough with a swim noodle belt tied tight with a square knot around your waist ...... tightly.

I've been fiddl'n around with a 24", a 30", and a 36" length swim noodle belt to see what works best. This foam has a lot of inherent flotation and it does actually make a difference for swimming. For me at 6'2" and 203-lbs, the 30" noodle is the best for swimming flotation and it can be used either across the back, or across the front stomach area.

For a line that gets threaded down the center hole in the foam noodle, the 5/16 -inch polyester line in some bright color design that is available at many different stores seems to work very good because it ties easily with a very secure square knot and will dry out quickl

So ....... to get out on the water this summer ...... you don't really need a jet ski or a boat ...... all you need is a do-it-yourself swim safe, foam noodle belt that costs something like three dollars to make ...... and you will be surprised with your new ability to go swimming. ..... :D

ITD 06-09-2021 11:02 AM

Ah, less, you shouldn't need a belt to swim. Get some swimmin' lessons boy. It is a good idea to drag a float behind you if you are going any distance though.

mswlogo 06-09-2021 06:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ITD (Post 356852)
Ah, less, you shouldn't need a belt to swim. Get some swimmin' lessons boy. It is a good idea to drag a float behind you if you are going any distance though.

If it makes the difference in swimming or not, go for it.

It reminds me of biking. I kind of gave it up long ago.
Until I bought my wife an electric assist bike.
After trying her bike out, and her leaving me in the dust on hills, I got a 2nd one and now ride my bike to work on nice days (until COViD any way).

Normal biking, you hit a steep hill (plenty around the lakes) and it can be not fun any more. And to sweaty to go to work. But with the assist bike I love going biking now. You must pedal. And you can adjust how much assist you want. It’s not as good a workout but it’s better than taking the car. I look forward to the ride there and back every time.

I often go around NewFound lake 16 miles, in the evening after dinner. With a normal bike it’s a brutal 3 hr ride. With some walking up hills sometimes if it’s hot.

No shame in a little assist if it gets you out.

MAXUM 06-20-2021 07:38 AM

My neighbor in hooksett just got rid of thier above ground pool and last monday had thier trash out with probably about 20 noodles stuffed in thier trash can. All I could think of is would FLL dumpster dive and grab them after all they would be best price of all free. ;)

I believe the answer is most definitely yes.

Biggd 06-20-2021 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAXUM (Post 357299)
My neighbor in hooksett just got rid of thier above ground pool and last monday had thier trash out with probably about 20 noodles stuffed in thier trash can. All I could think of is would FLL dumpster dive and grab them after all they would be best price of all free. ;)

I believe the answer is most definitely yes.

You should have messaged him. I'm sure he would have drove down to get them. :D