Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Polls (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Ice Cream 'Round the Lake Poll---TAKE IT! (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1064)

KTO 09-10-2004 09:27 PM

Ice Cream 'Round the Lake Poll---TAKE IT!

Just curious, for me, and the use of any other forum member who cares to know. What is, in your opinion, the best place for ice cream on the lake (regardless of location!)
________
cheap vaporizer

Kona Bay Girl 09-10-2004 09:31 PM

Rick Dawg's in Centre Harbor! The flavors are excellent! However, there's not a TON of selection.

The JB Scoops in Laconia used to be good, but then they turned it into a house and that ruins the atmosphere a little bit.

upthesaukee 09-10-2004 09:42 PM

Shibley's Ice Cream next to the Blue Jay Mini golf course in Alton Bay. Great ice cream and great service from some very pleasant young people.

fatlazyless 09-11-2004 08:23 AM

all this for just one dollar

The first time we did this, I was really surprised & pleased. For just one dollar, Town Docks scoops out what they call a children's ice cream cone but it is very big. Go there on a weekend evening and there's the 400 yard walk-way over & next to the water, the new Church Point hotel, and a live band playing outside at Town Docks restaurant. Are we in Switzerland here?

What's next? The Mount Washington coming to Meredith more than just Mondays? Stay tuned?

shania 09-11-2004 08:36 AM

Best Ice Cream

Jordan's on rt.106 Belmont :liplick:

Bear Guy 09-11-2004 09:25 AM

J.B. Scoops

J.B. Scoops has some of the most interesting flavors I have seen. Still, Chocolate Obscene is my favorite.

Jordan's is Belmont is a favorite too.

Lady Di 09-11-2004 02:58 PM

The little outside shop in Meredith

across from ParaFUNalia and Brooks....
We went there after son/granddaughter went crazy driving across from Fun Spot. I think it's called Frazzles or something like that.
They RAVED about the mint chocolat chip. I had my low-carb mint chocolate chip and was very happy. Totally enjoyed sitting outside the other night, warm and happy, waiting for the baby. It's all good, like RG said. :)

trfour 09-11-2004 03:09 PM

By boat, & road

lilioukalani's, Paugus Bay, on the left just beyond the Weirs channel.

By road, 956 Weirs Blvd. 366-9323

Great Ice Cream and more! :liplick:

Diana 09-11-2004 04:04 PM

Sawyers in Gilford

Lin 09-11-2004 06:56 PM

Rick Dawgs

For years we've always stopped at Red Hill Dairy. This year we were walking around Center Harbor with my mom and kids. We walked up to the post office to mail off some letters and figured we'd try out Rick Dawgs on the way back. Nice people, great ice cream and excellent view to enjoy the ice cream with.

warren 09-11-2004 07:52 PM

sawyers in gilford

Floridian 09-12-2004 02:08 PM

At 19 Mile Bay. Great Mint Chocolate Chip; large servings that are reasonably priced! :)

nj2nh 09-12-2004 08:22 PM

Shibley's

Cast my vote for Shibley's in Alton Bay. Take the boat to the bay, play mini-golf at the Blue Jay, stop for ice cream, eat it back at the town docks while looking out at the boats and the bay and then head home. There is no better way to spend an August evening with two small boys.

Jersey Girl

lakegirl 09-13-2004 07:20 AM

Jordan's on 106 in Belmont :D

PROPELLER 09-13-2004 07:54 AM

Ice Cream

Jordans in Belmont

Newbiesaukee 09-13-2004 03:16 PM

Vanilla please

Rick Dawgs in Center Harbor is quite good and the people are friendly and try to please. I also like Sawyers a lot. But I only like vanilla, so what do I know. :D

Smith Point 09-13-2004 04:08 PM

I’m not one to complain but we took the kids out for ice-cream one afternoon to Wolfeboro and the line @ bailes bubble was a little long so we went under the bridge (the kids love that) to back bay and ended up @ the wolf trap or should I say the tourist trap 3 adults and 4 kids with tip cost $30.00! For ice-cream? It was good but a little rich for my blood.

KTO 09-13-2004 07:18 PM

Don't think anything of it!

Don't think anything of it newbiesaukee, I only like vanilla and coffee, so you're not alone in the short list of flavors section! :)
________
host and design

gtxrider 09-14-2004 02:58 AM

I scream for ice cream

How about the Kellerhaus ice cream buffet. A bit pricey but you could pig out. :cool:

Shibley's as #2

Peter 09-14-2004 03:29 AM

Roadside Baileys

Roadside Baileys was the best ice cream experience. I truely believe any ice cream tastes great during the summer when you are with family and friends. Nothing like a scoop of ice cream, sitting on the end of the dock and watching the sun set.

Rattlesnake Gal 09-14-2004 08:44 AM

KTO, is there a way to add the places listed below to the surveys?
Nice thread by the way. Fattening, but nice. :laugh:

JayDV 09-14-2004 09:28 AM

Sometimes it's the experience itself

Kellerhaus is great for a sit down ice cream, Sawyers for a frappe on the run, but nothing beats climbing out of the lake onto the mailboat dock of those few islands that get mail delivery. The Sophie C, U.S. Mailboat, lets you board and buy ice-cream too. Say hi to the crew and check out the pilot house as you pay for just a regular pre-packaged ice cream treat. Then of course, it is time to jump back in again!

Rattlesnake Gal 09-14-2004 10:48 AM

Too bad the mail boats do not come down to our neck of the woods. Sounds like a fun experience. :D

parrothead 09-14-2004 11:15 AM

JB Scoops

They have great milk shakes

Winni P 09-14-2004 12:12 PM

Kellerhaus!!!

obie 09-15-2004 08:32 AM

Best Ice Cream

I think the Town Docks in Meredith has the best ice cream around the lake. Their one dolllar cones on Wednedays were terrific and the surroundings are spectacular.

KTO 09-15-2004 06:18 PM

Doesn't Ice Cream sound good 'bout now?

GrandmaBig6 09-16-2004 12:29 PM

Ice cream Vote

I vote for the town docks. The ice cream and price are good. They just keep lumping the scoops on.

since'74 09-16-2004 02:37 PM

Can't Burst My "Bubble"!

IMHO - Bailey's Bubble is THE best - only place I know of that carries grapenut ice cream - sounds weird.....tastes GOOD.

Top it off with their homemade butterscotch and old school whipped cream and you've got yourself one tasty treat!

Another favorite of mine is their Snow White sundae, a sure fire sweet tooth pleaser covered with marshmallow and shredded coconut. Yes please! :liplick:

Gilligan 09-16-2004 09:24 PM

Jordan's in Belmont

I like the home made taste and the flavors from Jordan's on Route 106 in Belmont.

Great ice cream.

kaj 12-01-2008 09:30 AM

I'll second that...

Quote:

Originally Posted by trfour (Post 8173)
lilioukalani's, Paugus Bay, on the left just beyond the Weirs channel.

By road, 956 Weirs Blvd. 366-9323

Great Ice Cream and more! :liplick:

And the staff is very friendly~

Lucky2Bhere 12-01-2008 09:34 AM

no contest....the Sandwich Creamery!

Senter Cove Guy 12-01-2008 09:41 AM

The Ice Cream Barge

I love it when it comes to me rather than me to it.

Lakepilot 12-01-2008 09:46 AM

No question - Baileys!

Island Life 12-01-2008 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee (Post 8265)
Rick Dawgs in Center Harbor is quite good and the people are friendly and try to please. I also like Sawyers a lot. But I only like vanilla, so what do I know. :D

Is Rick Dawg's still in business/did they move? I took a boat ride over there with the kids - despite my protestations that we would absolutely not, under no circumstances, waste gas boating all the way across the lake this year just for ice cream. Yeah, that lasted about a week. Anyway, when we got there it was gone. And so was that antique store we love. So we bought a few groceries, bought the dog a bone and headed home.:(

Regarding Sawyers ice cream, if you like vanilla, you're fine at Sawyers. All of their flavors taste mostly like vanilla with a mild hint of whatever flavor you ordered.

AC2717 12-01-2008 11:10 AM

I know I know

But I cannot get away from the coffee and Cookie Monster (blue cookies and cream) from the Kellher Hauss (spelled wrong I know)

Island-Ho 12-01-2008 12:25 PM

Sawyers

Sawyers in Gilford is convenient for me by car or a short walk from the docks.

WeirsBeachBoater 12-01-2008 12:31 PM

2nd the motion

Quote:

Originally Posted by JayDV (Post 8309)
Kellerhaus is great for a sit down ice cream, Sawyers for a frappe on the run, but nothing beats climbing out of the lake onto the mailboat dock of those few islands that get mail delivery. The Sophie C, U.S. Mailboat, lets you board and buy ice-cream too. Say hi to the crew and check out the pilot house as you pay for just a regular pre-packaged ice cream treat. Then of course, it is time to jump back in again!

Nothing beats an afternoon ice cream on the Sophie, even if it is only pre packaged! Better yet are the smiles from the youngsters who are waiting for the Boat to arrive!

JPC 12-01-2008 01:06 PM

Jordons in Belmont

A must stop on the way home.

Russtic 12-01-2008 02:20 PM

Morrissey's Front Porch (the former Bailey's Restaurant in Wolfeboro)

Not as popular as Bailey's Bubble downtown (maybe due to location), but their ice cream is great...lots of flavors and sundaes...and a nice old-time atmosphere inside.

pm203 12-01-2008 02:39 PM

Dairy Queen, Dairy Queen, Dairy Queen !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ishoot308 12-01-2008 03:11 PM

No Doubt About It

Baileys is the best I have been to on the lake!

mets3007 12-01-2008 03:30 PM

Lili's on Weirs Blvd is my favorite place with the nice view of the lake.

Sunset Bob 12-01-2008 03:45 PM

Richardsons Ice Cream

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 85333)
Baileys is the best I have been to on the lake!

I agree Bailey's is the best. I am pretty sure they get there ice cream from Richardsons Dairy in my home town of Middleton Ma.
I know Johnson's in New Durham does I have seen the trucks there.

mcdude 12-01-2008 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nj2nh (Post 8206)
Cast my vote for Shibley's in Alton Bay. Take the boat to the bay, play mini-golf at the Blue Jay, stop for ice cream, eat it back at the town docks while looking out at the boats and the bay and then head home. There is no better way to spend an August evening with two small boys.
Jersey Girl

and if the line is too long at Shibley's (as it often is....)
http://mysite.verizon.net/vze3nm2c/s...g.w300h225.jpg

...saunter on over to Pop's Clam Shell just down the road aways. They also have quite a selection and you have the option of eating your treat on the roof of the world famous "Flipper Room" right next door!

jerseyonbear 12-01-2008 07:44 PM

Flurries calls

It seems that Flurries has a remote call to my car when in Meredith before heading out the neck road for some JB Scoops. Love the big chips in the chocolate chip.

NHskier 12-01-2008 08:19 PM

Lili's

Lili's on Weirs Blvd is our favorite spot. Of course in the interests of full dsiclosure it's also the most convenient as we pass by on our way to/from our boat.

We really enjoy stopping off after an evening of boating. Love the deck and view of the bay.

Jordan's in Belmont is another favorit for us.

Seadoo 12-01-2008 09:05 PM

Lilis in paugus bay is the best

VitaBene 12-01-2008 09:11 PM

Skelleys in Mboro. Same people as Bailey's Bubble from what I understand

Pier626 12-01-2008 09:20 PM

Shibley's for selection gets my vote

Shibleys offers so many selections it's really difficult NOT to stop there (car or boat). They also have the hand-packed slushes that are a great summer treat for those that don't want ice cream.

Kellerhaus is a great rainy day distraction.

-PIer626

Waterbaby 12-01-2008 09:33 PM

Ice Cream -- Plus FOOD!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pier626 (Post 85351)
Shibleys offers so many selections it's really difficult NOT to stop there...

I'm not really an ice cream lover (yes, un-American, I know, sorry) so when son wants ice cream and I want food and hubby wants both, we stop at Shibley's on the way home. And of course I always need a pit-stop, so he parks and gets in line while I use the nearby facilities, lol -- all in all a perfect place to stop! :D :laugh:

Resident 2B 12-01-2008 10:00 PM

Lili's

Lili's is by far the best!

R2B

Sunrise Point 12-01-2008 10:13 PM

An old favorite and something new too....

Jordan's on Rt. 106 in Belmont has been one of our favorites for several years. It's a bit out of our way now, but still worth the trip.

Two other places worth a try are the Family Tree Restaurant, they will re-open their ice cream counter in the spring, and a place in the Belknap Mall (next to Verizon) that is owned by the same family that runs Heritage Farm in Sanbornton. I am having a senior moment and can't remember the name of their ice cream parlor.

beaner 12-01-2008 10:14 PM

Savvy Wolfeboro ice cream lovers skip the lines at Bailey's Bubble and head over to Bly Farm (Route 28 across from Trites Chevy), where they serve generous portions of Bobby Sue's homemade. You can have the nice folks at Bly's pack a pint to go, then stop by IGA on the way home and pick up a jar of Bailey's hot fudge and whipped cream. :liplick:

RI Swamp Yankee 12-01-2008 10:35 PM

Paugus Bay Area (Please specify in thread below!)

Sawyers .... ok, it isn't Paugus Bay but close enough ;)

secondcurve 12-01-2008 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beaner (Post 85358)
Savvy Wolfeboro ice cream lovers skip the lines at Bailey's Bubble and head over to Bly Farm (Route 28 across from Trites Chevy), where they serve generous portions of Bobby Sue's homemade. You can have the nice folks at Bly's pack a pint to go, then stop by IGA on the way home and pick up a jar of Bailey's hot fudge and whipped cream. :liplick:

I agree Bly Farm is a hidden gem and the ice cream is great! Ah, those summer days....

trfour 12-01-2008 11:12 PM

" Ink not, What Liliouskalani's Can Do For You!"....

it's about, " What we can do for Liliouskalani's!"....... and all of the other boss ice cream great's, in the Lakes Region. :liplick:

Old Hubbard Rd 12-01-2008 11:24 PM

JB Scoops

I got a email today from a real estate agency advertising 3 of JB Scoops stores are "for sale". I think it mentions Flurries in Meredith, J.B. Scoop on Rt 3 Meredith and a small ice cream place on Rt 3 in Holderness/Ashland.

GTO 12-02-2008 12:07 PM

2nd that....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lucky2Bhere (Post 85309)
no contest....the Sandwich Creamery!

The creamery is also "open" on the honor system 24/7. (in the warmer months). Its a pretty cool drive late at night down darkened roads waiting for Bigfoot to jump out....but its worth it.

Steveo 12-02-2008 12:30 PM

Pop's Clam Shell...

...because they serve Shane's of Maine - the best.

Huge portions too

SLI 12-02-2008 12:49 PM

Sawyers in Gilford is my favorite!

granitebox 12-02-2008 03:16 PM

A little bit out of the way - Johnson's

A short trip from Alton is Johnson's - the serving size is immense and a great way to finish a good dinner.

gtxrider 12-02-2008 03:35 PM

any place

Makes no difference to me but any ice cream around the lake is the best!:liplick:

BlackCatIslander 12-02-2008 06:05 PM

Scoops in Center Harbor?

They are no longer in Center Harbor.

kayakn 12-03-2008 05:10 PM

JB Scoops

JB Scoops in Meredith has the best. My favorite is Bailey's Irish Cream.:D

WinnDixie 12-03-2008 08:21 PM

Yum!

What a fun thread! Here it is really cold right now (snowed a little...always notable for Alabama), but my mouth is still watering! I'd have to say both Jordan's in Belmont and--of course--Sawyers (our "go to" place up there) are my tops. For one thing, you can get peppermint stick ice cream. Here it only seems to show up briefly at Christmas. My husband can get frozen pudding, too--dead giveaway as to our ancient status! Believe me you do not get that here at all!
I note lots of references to Bailey's. Many years ago there was Bailey's Dockside in Wolfeboro...are you all talking about that...or is that gone? I worked one summer right after high school in Wolfeboro, and we all lived at Dockside when we got the chance. But..yikes...that was LONG ago.
In 2006 my grandson ,who is a theater student here at Troy University in AL, worked as a Tech at the Lakes Region Summer Theater for their last summer, as it turned out. He had visited us up there as a little guy when we lived there, and he loved the chance to go back. One of his best memories is Dollar Cone Days at the Town Docks in Meredith. He loved the Town Docks, and for the nearly penniless actor/techs...Dollar Cone Days was seriously wonderful!

Basspro 12-04-2008 08:19 AM

Kellerhaus

It's hard during the summer to pass by the Kellerhaus and not stop in. It's a great place to grab some ice cream and sit outside and relax.:liplick:

fatlazyless 12-04-2008 08:47 AM

First, the Town Docks in Meredith eliminated their one dollar, Wednesday, ice cream cone day. Then my girl friend dumped me. So, I stopped taking her to the Town Docks.

Now, I go to Kellerhaus in the Weirs for their one-dollar Wednesday cones which are excellent, but all things considered, I am not very happy about it:(.

Pam 12-04-2008 11:17 AM

JB Scoops/Flurries

Quote:

Originally Posted by kayakn (Post 85432)
JB Scoops in Meredith has the best. My favorite is Bailey's Irish Cream.:D

....or the Kahlua. Or combining them in the Mudslide Frappe. Mmmmm..

Rose 12-04-2008 03:15 PM

For some reason, this poll thinks I've already voted, which I have not. Wassup with that?

My vote is Liliuokalani's.

Jeanzb1 06-27-2009 05:50 PM

Best ice cream!!

Sawyer's in Gilford -- love all their flavors, but Red Raspberry Chip is out of this world!:liplick:

LoveBitesPastryShop 06-27-2009 06:24 PM

Sandwich Creamery

While there are many good ice cream places around the lake I also have to toss my hat into the ring for the Sandwich Creamery. I can honestly say that their ice cream is the best I have ever had. Like GTO pointed out they have this cool honor system. You can take a cruise out into the middle of nowhere at 2am and get pint of pure yumminess. I am all about checking out the little hidden gems;)

Slickcraft 06-27-2009 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeanzb1 (Post 98530)
Sawyer's in Gilford -- love all their flavors, but Red Raspberry Chip is out of this world!:liplick:

Sawyer's makes their own ice cream and it is the best around. We were out for a bike ride yesterday evening and stopped in. I tried the Red Raspberry Chip and now have a new favorite; Cherry Garcia is down to #2 now.

My wife has a home ice cream maker and last summer when Smith's had PYO red raspberries we picked a batch and she made a batch of red raspberry ice cream as soon as we got home. It was great. Well Sawyer's was just as good.

KTO 06-27-2009 09:09 PM

Wow this is old. I saw my username below the thread and I didn't remember starting it. 2004...that was five years ago! Brings back old memories...

I have since visited the Sandwich Creamery and must say that is the best ice cream around, but Bailey's in Wolfboro is still the best boat ride ice cream.

rick35 06-27-2009 10:00 PM

Best chocolate chip anywhere

I love the chocolate chip at the Town Dock. Throw in a waffle cone and there's nothing better. The name "Franky's" had to have come from the old Frankensundae which occupied the building for years.

When we feel the need for something different we might head over to Kellerhaus. The ice cream is ok but adding all the toppings makes it a treat. And don't forget Lilioukalani's. The ice cream is really good but parking at the dock can be trouble and we might stop on a week night when traffic is lighter.

Moss Creek Media 06-28-2009 08:18 AM

Oh yeah, Jordan's is great!

Quote:

Originally Posted by shania (Post 8169)
Jordan's on rt.106 Belmont :liplick:

Heaven 06-28-2009 11:04 AM

Bly farm Rt28 across from (old) Millers Auto

Serves Annabelle's which is one of my favorite local ice creams (as is Bobby Sue's) . . .

shoppes on the bay 06-28-2009 01:31 PM

best ice cream? Shibleys

Shibleys! on a hot summer day you cant beat it...

ILoveWinnipesaukee 06-28-2009 02:57 PM

Kellerhaus ice cream buffet

I vote for Kellerhaus. I make sure that when we visit, we save one day for a heavy lunch, then the ice cream buffet for dinner. Did I say dinner, oh I mean a late dessert after the late lunch. LOL :D

trfour 06-29-2009 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rose (Post 85475)
For some reason, this poll thinks I've already voted, which I have not. Wassup with that?

My vote is Liliuokalani's.

Best by far! Always has been. The secret is out. :liplick:

ClosetExtrovert 06-29-2009 08:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KTO (Post 8158)
Just curious, for me, and the use of any other forum member who cares to know. What is, in your opinion, the best place for ice cream on the lake (regardless of location!)

I remember Kellerhaus. The Ice Cream was ok, but the toppings and the little flags were the best!!!

gnemiccolo 09-02-2013 06:49 AM

Jays in the Bay. real ice cream there

BroadHopper 09-02-2013 07:43 AM

Happy Cow

On Union Ave in Laconia. Over by the high school is the new kid on the block. They are definitely worth the trip!

RLW 09-12-2013 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnemiccolo (Post 211419)
Jays in the Bay. real ice cream there

http://i44.tinypic.com/1499wms.gif gnemiccolo, I just noticed that you are fairly new to posting on the forum and glad you have joined us. Have fun and enjoy the Winni Forum while making many new friends.:)

I go to Blue Jays for my ice cream as it is a lot easier than Shibley's, but they do not have all the little extra goodies many people like.

http://i54.tinypic.com/2e56yqf.gif

fatlazyless 09-12-2013 07:08 PM

Kellerhaus has totally fantastic coffee ice cream ...... and ........ lord have mercy .......on Wednesdays it only cost $1.09 for a cone, pointy waffle or flat bottom sugar cone, and they don't skimp on the ice cream despite the el cheapo price ...... bless that Kellerhaus for us poor Wednesday folk!

This last Wednesday, there was a great big bus that stopped in, and the line of customers there was gigantic-normous ...... there needs to be a law against that!

SteveA 09-13-2013 06:31 AM

Jordans..... Belmont

No contest.. they make the best pistacio icecream on the planet.

Rinkerfam 09-13-2013 06:51 AM

I have to say that Jordans is my all time fave!

cillovely 09-13-2013 08:04 AM

I like Johnson's family restaurant's ice cream becuase it's richardsons. But I truly love all ice cream and don't have many up the lake I don't like.

In Mass I'm all about Kimball Farm....nothing better. Wish they had something up your way.

Barney Bear 09-13-2013 08:55 AM

Jordan's Is Tops!!!

Our absolute favorite is Jordan's in Belmont. We load up on their half-gallon "tubs" to take out to East Bear Island for our guests to enjoy. We have a special cooler to keep our treasure load firm while cruising to the island.

glennsteely 09-21-2013 07:46 AM

Without a doubt!!!

Kellerhous....(spelling) was always awesome! BUT.....does anyone remember Franken Sundae? They used to be in Meredith and right next to the docks.....they were awesome!!! Long gone though, so I guess I cant vote for them, huh?

CDS-NH 09-21-2013 08:42 AM

Jordans is my vote

Jordans is my favorite....try the ginger....great...

meredith weekender 09-21-2013 10:41 AM

Kellerhaus by far is the best. Cookie Monster Ice Cream is AWESOME!!!!!!