Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Weather (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Henri (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=27366)

Lakegeezer 08-20-2021 06:20 AM

Henri

1 Attachment(s)
Keep an eye on the path of the named storm Henri. The forecasted path moved west overnight and has the lakes region in the area with 40-50% chance of tropical winds, hitting around 8AM this Sunday. If the storm hits land as forecast, just east of Long Island, it will dissipate a lot before reaching us, but could still create a good blow. I'll be spending time on Saturday to double tie down and fender the boats and look around for what might blow away. There is a 50-60% chance this will be a big nothingburger, but we've had problems with this storm path in the past.

winniwannabe 08-20-2021 07:33 AM

I'll be up on Winnisquam as a renter beginning tomorrow, so I'm making
preparations for my home in MA as well. Hope it goes elsewhere . Off
the Cape would be nice. No offense to those who will be there next week. Stay safe all:

WinnisquamZ 08-20-2021 08:33 AM

Are we talking about getting boats out of the water yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

gillygirl 08-20-2021 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinnisquamZ (Post 360930)

No. Just make sure your bilge pump’s working.

Sent from my iPad using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

LIforrelaxin 08-20-2021 11:03 AM

Quote:

On the ocean yes you better believe Harbor Masters are asking boat owners to take care of the boats, and get them out or to protected area's if possible.

On the lake, I have never taken my boats out.. Make sure their tied well, and that someone is around to watch things, and let them ride the storm out.

Unless I suppose I had a wide open field then I might take the boats out and put them in the middle of it... Otherwise just to many trees to fall....

Insurance is a wonderful thing... just make sure it is paid up....

Biggd 08-20-2021 11:28 AM

I'm more worried about the additional rain. The water is touching the bottom of my dock now. :eek:

ApS 08-20-2021 04:09 PM

Unlikely Pathway...

Henri is indicated with a sudden turn to the east, which takes it directly through Lake Winnipesaukee. :eek:

https://www.nhc.noaa.gov/storm_graph...e_and_wind.png

Being very familiar with hurricanes, this path is unlikely.

TiltonBB 08-21-2021 08:08 AM

Quote:

One of the local marine companies already has orders in to pull 10 boats this morning.

If your boat is in a mooring field with multiple boats, even if you have the best setup possible, you could have problems if your neighbor uses old clothesline rope to tie their boat!

As comedian Ron White says about hurricanes: "It isn't if the wind is blowing, it is WHAT the wind is blowing"

Seaplane Pilot 08-21-2021 08:28 AM

Might be worth watching. This guy thinks Henri is going to be more severe than currently predicted. Not sure how bad it will be in our area, however.

https://youtu.be/sZpExQW7VvU

Newbiesaukee 08-21-2021 10:19 AM

This is a large storm in area and the track is very close to predicted for the past few days. Admittedly, I may overreact as I have lost an entire house and 90% of my possessions in a hurricane. Don’t underestimate the damage this storm could
cause.

ApS 08-21-2021 03:53 PM

Hurricane Tips From Bob and Irene...

With the soaked soil, Henri may take down an inordinate number of trees.

If you have a generator, see if it's going to start. Otherwise, plan that water pumps won't be operational, so store a LOT of water for toilets, etc. Most toilets are 4+ gallons: tips on flushing can be found here. Search under "toilets, winter, buckets". :o

Canoes and kayaks can take off. I fill mine quarter-filled with lake water.

Boats at docks will benefit from "springlines", and docked facing out.

Chairs should be roped together or stored. Umbrellas have a way of getting airborne, even if previously folded up! :eek2:

Other Floridians, in particular, can add to this list.

One accessory not to have is that boat lift that attaches to pontoon boats. (Featured here in the last couple days). Pontoons have too much "sail area", and could tip over.

8gv 08-21-2021 04:14 PM

I think it is better to prepare and have the opportunity to complain about the “excess hype” on the storm than to get hit unprepared.

SAMIAM 08-21-2021 06:34 PM

Hurricanes die quickly up north. Cooler waters, hills, mountains and cooler temperatures take away most of its strength although New York may get a good hit along the coast. Media likes to play it up like it's the end of the world but I'm not even removing my lawn furniture

Biggd 08-21-2021 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAMIAM (Post 361008)
Hurricanes die quickly up north. Cooler waters, hills, mountains and cooler temperatures take away most of its strength although New York may get a good hit along the coast. Media likes to play it up like it's the end of the world but I'm not even removing my lawn furniture

I agree but I had a micro burst come thru out neighborhood a few years ago and it was like a mini tornado. It took a bunch of trees down and took the umbrella, which was folded, and it went in the air like a missile. We were sitting in front of the living room window and it sounded like a freight train was coming thru. Scared the ever living ***** out of my wife and I! :eek:

SAMIAM 08-22-2021 06:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 361012)
I agree but I had a micro burst come thru out neighborhood a few years ago and it was like a mini tornado. It took a bunch of trees down and took the umbrella, which was folded, and it went in the air like a missile. We were sitting in front of the living room window and it sounded like a freight train was coming thru. Scared the ever living ***** out of my wife and I! :eek:

I hear you....pretty scary
Will be watching the storm to see how it develops and if things change I'll definitely button up

trfour 08-23-2021 12:57 PM

Noon Update, Henri

WMUR News; https://www.wmur.com/nowcast#