Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Are these land masses in Ash Cove considered islands? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21786)

MRJS 03-16-2017 05:29 PM

Are these land masses in Ash Cove considered islands?

2 Attachment(s)
In the attached picture, the two land masses shown as A & B have culverts. Are these actually islands? Thank you.

LOBI-JAMA 03-17-2017 09:29 AM

I'm thinking by the picture that this is the entrance to Salmon Meadow Cove not Ash Cove.

thinkxingu 03-17-2017 09:32 AM

That isn't Hanson Cove.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

ishoot308 03-17-2017 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LOBI-JAMA (Post 275803)
I'm thinking by the picture that this is the entrance to Salmon Meadow Cove not Ash Cove.

Yes, definitely, what is marked as Hanson Cove is actually Ash Cove

DesertDweller 03-17-2017 09:38 AM

Yes, Ash Cove on the left and Salmon Meadow Cove on the right (upper right hand part of picture). That's the Krainewood community. I don't know the history of it but heard they did do some earth moving when they developed it so I suppose it's possible they were island(s) at some point.

SIKSUKR 03-17-2017 09:55 AM

To answer your question I believe those are not islands.

Bear Guy 03-17-2017 09:57 AM

I turn to Bizer as the authority on islands. By the Bizer definition, an island must be surrounded by water at high lake in June. Thus, the Krainewood community doesn't qualify.

The list of islands here has none north of the entrance to Ash cove:
http://www.bizer.com/winislan.htm

Note: Ash cove is circled by Hanson Dr., but Hanson Cove is on the opposite side of the neck, adjacent to Greens Basin.

tummyman 03-17-2017 10:44 AM

I beg to differ with you. The right island has a canal between it and the mainland. My wife used to canoe thru there as a child with her father. I believe the ditch is still there. There needs to be more investigation on this issue before I would declare no island. The middle land mass is not an island.

tummyman 03-17-2017 10:46 AM

As a correction...I was referring to item A on the map, not item B. The canal I believe is between the mainland and item A. Sorry for the confusion....getting older by the day !!!

Bizer 03-17-2017 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bear Guy (Post 275810)
I turn to Bizer as the authority on islands. By the Bizer definition, an island must be surrounded by water at high lake in June. Thus, the Krainewood community doesn't qualify.

The list of islands here has none north of the entrance to Ash cove:
http://www.bizer.com/winislan.htm

Note: Ash cove is circled by Hanson Dr., but Hanson Cove is on the opposite side of the neck, adjacent to Greens Basin.

Over the years, Bizer accumulated many statistics about islands. About three years ago, Ron Guilmette took Bizer' data and set out to kayak to each one. He published a book, "The Islands of Winnipesaukee". As a result of his extensive research, I now consider Ron to be a higher authority on Islands. We converse a few times each year about islands. I have sent him a copy of this thread for us to discuss. It may take us a month or so, but we'll get to the bottom of this.

I don't recall either of these land masses being islands. The Moultonborough Assessors' office does show "B" to be an island. The tax maps show a gap of about 15-20 feet between "A" and "B", although it sure doesn't look it from aerial photographs.

MRJS 03-17-2017 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bizer (Post 275821)
Over the years, Bizer accumulated many statistics about islands. About three years ago, Ron Guilmette took Bizer' data and set out to kayak to each one. He published a book, "The Islands of Winnipesaukee". As a result of his extensive research, I now consider Ron to be a higher authority on Islands. We converse a few times each year about islands. I have sent him a copy of this thread for us to discuss. It may take us a month or so, but we'll get to the bottom of this.

I don't recall either of these land masses being islands. The Moultonborough Assessors' office does show "B" to be an island. The tax maps show a gap of about 15-20 feet between "A" and "B", although it sure doesn't look it from aerial photographs.

Thank you all. I added an edited picture to straighten out the issue that Ash Cove is circled by Hanson Drive, but it is not called Hanson Cove.

In the picture, landmass A looks like a man made causeway because the road has an intentional sloped rock wall along it's curve. The culvert is almost entirely filled with soil now.

Landmass B has a full size culvert that people kayak through. The culvert is going to be repaired in the coming weeks with a smaller plastic pipe that slips inside and is then filled around with a type of hardening slurry. The hope is to still allow kayakers through because it's a cherished tradition.

If Moultonborough has a name for the island at landmass B, that would be really cool!

Where exactly is the entrance to Ash Cove or any cove really? In other words, if you're in a boat, when can you say, "OK, we are in the cove now."

Thank you! Great information!