Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Restaurant Information & Reviews (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   O's vs. Canoe? (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18358)

Airedale1 10-12-2014 12:15 PM

O's vs. Canoe?

My wife and I have a choice of going to one of these two restaurants this week. I have been to O's and like it very much. So, I am hoping some of you can share your experiences and tell me how they might differ vis-à-vis menu, prices, atmosphere, quality, etc.

ishoot308 10-12-2014 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airedale1 (Post 234879)
My wife and I have a choice of going to one of these two restaurants this week. I have been to O's and like it very much. So, I am hoping some of you can share your experiences and tell me how they might differ vis-à-vis menu, prices, atmosphere, quality, etc.

Having been to both many times, see below for my comparisons.

Quality of food: Better at O's
Quality of service: Better at O's
General atmosphere: Better at O's
Menu selection: Better at O's
Wine selection: Better at O's
Price: O's is more expensive but well worth the difference.

In my honest opinion Canoe simply does not compare to O's for fine dining. O's is the best restaurant in the Lakes Region, again just my opinion. I'm sure others will have differing opinions.

Dan

Newbiesaukee 10-12-2014 02:15 PM

O's is more "formal" and if this is a special treat would probably go there of the 2. Canoe has more menu choices and more interesting food, IMO. O's is more of a steak restaurant with other choices.

Although this is, admittedly, very subjective, I find O's service a bit "pretentious." A very minor point...I have never been to a restaurant which serves "choice" grade steak at a fixed price but has "prime" steak at market price.

secondcurve 10-12-2014 05:48 PM

Are these restaurants owned bt the same folks?

pjard 10-12-2014 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by secondcurve (Post 234889)
Are these restaurants owned bt the same folks?

Yes, same owners, Magic Foods

coolyourjets 10-12-2014 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 234882)
Having been to both many times, see below for my comparisons.

Quality of food: Better at O's
Quality of service: Better at O's
General atmosphere: Better at O's
Menu selection: Better at O's
Wine selection: Better at O's
Price: O's is more expensive but well worth the difference.

In my honest opinion Canoe simply does not compare to O's for fine dining. O's is the best restaurant in the Lakes Region, again just my opinion. I'm sure others will have differing opinions.

Dan

No differing opinion here. You nailed it.

rgilfert 10-13-2014 06:16 AM

I agree with ishoot308!

jrc 10-13-2014 08:25 AM

Never been to O's. Canoe is great but a little too far to be our regular hangout.

Not a bash but do they really serve "choice" grade beef at a "fine dining" steakhouse?

Jeanzb1 10-13-2014 08:27 AM

I totally agree with Ishoot308. I much prefer O's.

Newbiesaukee 10-13-2014 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrc (Post 234905)
Never been to O's. Canoe is great but a little too far to be our regular hangout.

Not a bash but do they really serve "choice" grade beef at a "fine dining" steakhouse?

Not to get too far off topic....but the answer is yes.

I have no problem with choice steak...Capital Grill serves dry aged choice, Ruth's Chris serves prime. I suspect other well known steak houses sell choice. I don't see a major problem with this. If it is important to you...just ask. I just felt that serving both but charging MKt Price for prime was strange.

ishoot308 10-13-2014 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Newbiesaukee (Post 234910)
Not to get too far off topic....but the answer is yes.

I have no problem with choice steak...Capital Grill serves dry aged choice, Ruth's Chris serves prime. I suspect other well known steak houses sell choice. I don't see a major problem with this. If it is important to you...just ask. I just felt that serving both but charging MKt Price for prime was strange.

I believe "market price" is only for their Prime New York Strip steak, all others have prices noted...

Dan

Newbiesaukee 10-13-2014 10:24 AM

You are correct, but that doesn't change my feelings about it. Although they also have MKT Price for Kobe Beef.

All in all, O's is a nice restaurant and I hope Paul has a lovely time should he go there.

Airedale1 10-15-2014 05:51 PM

Thank you one and all. Dan, we did go to O's and it was excellent. I ordered the Lobster Mac & Cheese as a side dish. It was delicious. We had a great meal there, thanks again.

Tackleman 10-16-2014 12:06 PM

The canoe has the sweet and sour calimari
the O doesn't. To me it is one of the best items on the menu.

belly_button_biter 10-19-2014 10:15 PM

Quote:

Your very first post you praised Canoe. You say that you went to O and you're asking for opinion. I don't get it. why is your chance limited to these two restaurants? Was it a gift certificate? or were you just posting to elevate awareness around these two slipping restaurants during a slower period on the calendar?

Bumble2249 10-19-2014 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by belly_button_biter (Post 235235)
Your very first post you praised Canoe. You say that you went to O and you're asking for opinion. I don't get it. why is your chance limited to these two restaurants? Was it a gift certificate? or were you just posting to elevate awareness around these two slipping restaurants during a slower period on the calendar?

First if all..... Next time you decide to post something on this forum, at least try to utilize some type if grammar. Lol! Secondly, really??!! What is wrong with this post/question?? Nothing! Just someone asking a simple question. But once again, you decide to make something out of nothing..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Misha888 10-20-2014 01:42 PM

They're the same . . .

if you are going for a burger or lunch though meals are $2.00 less at Canoe. I assume the taxes and real estate doesn't demand a high rent/tax base.

If you are looking for fine dining. O should be your choice. I typically get the special and I have NEVER been disappointed nor have our guests.

Cheers!

Quote:

BroadHopper 10-20-2014 01:58 PM

Variety

I would frequent Canoe for casual dining, O's for upscale dining or special date!

Airedale1 10-20-2014 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by belly_button_biter (Post 235235)

1. Not sure what you mean by, "Your very first quote you praised canoe." I have never been there.

2. Yes, we had a gift card that was good for either of the two restaurants.

3. As to your assertion that they are, "two slipping restaurants during a slower period on the calendar." I will say that on the Tuesday night that we went to O's it was packed.

phoenix 10-20-2014 04:22 PM

Some of these accusatory comments are the reason many have dropped off this forum.

Red apple 10-20-2014 08:38 PM

Both great restaurants!

belly_button_biter 10-20-2014 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airedale1 (Post 235270)
1. Not sure what you mean by, "Your very first quote you praised canoe." I have never been there.

2. Yes, we had a gift card that was good for either of the two restaurants.

3. As to your assertion that they are, "two slipping restaurants during a slower period on the calendar." I will say that on the Tuesday night that we went to O's it was packed.

And from your first post on 3/10/2010

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airedale1 (Post 121273)
I think the lobster mac & cheese at the Canoe is one of the best dishes I ever tasted.

When was it that you were lying then or now?

My statement that they are both slipping is based on their current and past TripAdvisor and Yelp customer satisfaction ratings. A few years ago they were rated number one in each of their respective communities. Not so much anymore.

RailroadJoe 10-20-2014 10:07 PM

Now that the elite have had their say, I think it is time the "middle class" rate Village Kitchen VS George's Diner, and then the "poor folk" compare McDonalds vs Burger King. Really now, this is a great forum and I love the chatter. It is almost as good as the political scene right now. My nickel's worth.

eillac@dow 10-21-2014 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by belly_button_biter (Post 235289)

Why so harsh?

I was at a wedding this weekend catered by Scott Oulette/Canoe. I was able to select from menu selection of 6 different entrees. I opted for the beef....which was excellent.

So if I said the Tenderloin of Beef at the Canoe is excellent....would you consider me to be a liar since I have never stepped foot in the door to Canoe ?

You really don't have to answer...just amazed at how far people go to stir the pot.

Airedale1 10-21-2014 08:33 PM

Quote:

My statement that they are both slipping is based on their current and past TripAdvisor and Yelp customer satisfaction ratings. A few years ago they were rated number one in each of their respective communities. Not so much anymore.

Again, I have never, ever been to the Canoe. I have been to their other restaurant O's many times and I misspoke in that post. I meant to say O's but the OP in that thread was asking about restaurants on the north part of the lake and I meant to say O's but I was thinking Canoe which is in Center Harbor. I'm sure their Lobster Mac & Cheese is every bit as good as O's.

BTW, personally I would not characterize a restaurant that is packed on a Tuesday night in October as slipping, but that's just my opinion.

Bigstan 10-22-2014 09:04 AM

Quote:

God forbid people limit their input to areas where they have first hand knowledge or experience.

Every business has a bad Yelp review, so according to you everywhere is bad and you should go nowhere.....that's very helpful.

Major 10-22-2014 12:45 PM

Canoe and O's

We go to Canoe and O's often, ever since both opened. Both establishments have remained consistently good to great. Certainly no slippage the past year or so. I recommend going to O's in Concord. The menu is very similar, if not identical, to Lakeport's O's and the atmosphere is a little better.

rgilfert 10-23-2014 06:04 AM

Well, That's What Makes a Horse Race .....

Quote:

Originally Posted by Major (Post 235374)
I recommend going to O's in Concord. The menu is very similar, if not identical, to Lakeport's O's and the atmosphere is a little better.

As Major stated, my wife and I have had the opportunity to eat at both of the "O" restaurants as well .... but we prefer the ambiance at the Lakeport facility. We can't put our finger on exactly why we feel that way but we've also had a distinct preference for Lakeport (it's probably as simple as when we eat at Lakeport we're staying on the island and when we eat in Concord we're living at home).

Barbara 02-20-2015 03:43 PM

I love both Canoe and O's Steaks and Seafood. Given the choice I would choose O's, but I have been known to travel all the way to Canoe from Wolfeboro just for their amazing calamari which is not available at O's.

The great news for me is that the owner has opened a new restaurant in Wolfeboro in November named O's Bistro. It is in The Inn on Main on the top of the hill on North Main Street. The menu has selections from both Canoe and O's Steaks, including the calamari and lobster Mac and cheese. Lucky me, it's just three minutes from my house!!!

WakeboardMom 02-23-2015 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Barbara (Post 240446)
I love both Canoe and O's Steaks and Seafood. Given the choice I would choose O's, but I have been known to travel all the way to Canoe from Wolfeboro just for their amazing calamari which is not available at O's.

The great news for me is that the owner has opened a new restaurant in Wolfeboro in November named O's Bistro. It is in The Inn on Main on the top of the hill on North Main Street. The menu has selections from both Canoe and O's Steaks, including the calamari and lobster Mac and cheese. Lucky me, it's just three minutes from my house!!!

They're about to open a new location in Bedford! The name will be Canoe, but it will be more upscale dining than Center Harbor. I hope you'll give them a try! :liplick:

chaseisland 02-23-2015 01:10 PM

I prefer O, because I can spell it.

upthesaukee 02-23-2015 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaseisland (Post 240561)
I prefer O, because I can spell it.

You missed the "apostrophe s " :) :)

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

chaseisland 02-23-2015 04:57 PM

's, 's, 's....

upthesaukee 02-23-2015 05:10 PM

Sorry, Chaseisland...

I just couldn't help myself...my bad...

At least it wasn't like school, having to write it 25 times!!!! :D