Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Pellet Stove - Flyash (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=25059)

bigdog 10-05-2019 06:29 PM

Pellet Stove - Flyash

I have a new (to me) pellet stove. Hydra-Fire Mt. Vernon (stand-alone type).
The stove is an older model about 8+ years old, not the AE (Anniversary Edition). Purchased on Criagslist last Spring and this is my first heating season using.

Not having a chimney, I had it installed through the living room wall to outside.
It was professionally installed by a local fireplace shop using double-walled stove pipe.

When the stove is running I'm seeing a lot of fly-ash in the stove chamber, this is not so uncommon, however, what does concern me, is that I see this fly-ash
coming out the stove pipe on the outside of the house, is this common ?

I had a pellet stove insert at my other house, but it was vented up a brick
chimney, so if there was an fly-ash being produced, I never saw it.

The pellets I'm using came with the stove, only 1 bag, and just started to use. It's an off-brand pellet name, but indicates less than 1% ash. I have 2 tons of Green Supreme pellets for this season, which I've used in the past, and like very much.

So what is the Forum consensus about the fly-ash going out the stove-pie to the outside, should I be concerned ?

Thanks !

SAB1 10-06-2019 07:05 PM

Is it constant? I sometimes have it but it’s not constant. Have you tried other pellets?

Wifi-1 10-07-2019 05:15 AM

Have an exhaust fan running, creating a pressure differential from the outside to the inside ?

DickR 10-07-2019 09:41 AM

Your issue will get more attention on a more specialized forum. Go here:

https://www.hearth.com/talk/

and register to post questions (see link at top right corner of that page). You would be focusing on the subforum dealing with pellet stoves, "The Pellet Mill."

ishoot308 10-07-2019 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigdog (Post 320715)
I have a new (to me) pellet stove. Hydra-Fire Mt. Vernon (stand-alone type).
The stove is an older model about 8+ years old, not the AE (Anniversary Edition). Purchased on Criagslist last Spring and this is my first heating season using.

Not having a chimney, I had it installed through the living room wall to outside.
It was professionally installed by a local fireplace shop using double-walled stove pipe.

When the stove is running I'm seeing a lot of fly-ash in the stove chamber, this is not so uncommon, however, what does concern me, is that I see this fly-ash
coming out the stove pipe on the outside of the house, is this common ?

I had a pellet stove insert at my other house, but it was vented up a brick
chimney, so if there was an fly-ash being produced, I never saw it.

The pellets I'm using came with the stove, only 1 bag, and just started to use. It's an off-brand pellet name, but indicates less than 1% ash. I have 2 tons of Green Supreme pellets for this season, which I've used in the past, and like very much.

So what is the Forum consensus about the fly-ash going out the stove-pie to the outside, should I be concerned ?

Thanks !

I don't think what your describing is an issue...could be a combination of a couple things occurring...the type of pellets you are using and how high you are running your stove.

I don't believe anything written on the side of a bag of pellets such as ash content or moisture. The best way to test is to simply try them out by burning a bag. I have seen some cheap pellets burn great and some expensive burn lousy.

Also, if your running your stove on high you will obviously see more sparks of burnt material possibly exiting your flu pipe depending on the length. I have seen no benefit of running my stove on high as opposed to a medium setting / operating temperature.

As an fyi...I am by no means a "pellet pro" and have only been burning pellets for 6 or 7 years, so take this info for what it's worth...

Good luck!

Dan