Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Winter Sports (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Merrimack angler gets top prize at fishing derby. (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=13611)

Jonas Pilot 02-13-2012 12:41 PM

Merrimack angler gets top prize at fishing derby.

MEREDITH — At his day job, Dan Harris of Merrimack takes to the skies as a pilot for Continental Airlines. In his spare time, he loves delving his fishing line into New Hampshire lakes and ponds.

The Great Meredith Rotary Fishing Derby grand prize winner now has another frontier to conquer: land. For catching the largest tagged rainbow trout of the weekend tournament, Harris won a John Deere XUV 825i Camo, an all-terrain crossover utility vehicle valued at $24,000.

http://www.unionleader.com/article/2...NEWS/702139969

Slickcraft 02-13-2012 03:07 PM

1st prize rainbow

2 Attachment(s)
We stopped by about noon on Sunday and got a look at the 1st prize tagged rainbow. Not a lot of activity out on the ice at Meredith as can be seen.

Alton Bay however was very busy and today there were hundreds of what looked like ice gopher holes. :D Abandoned circles of ice chips. (sorry no photo)

skidonkee 02-14-2012 11:52 AM

Third place tagged trout

Hello,
First time user. I was wondering why the third place trout did not have a time is was caught. All the articles I've read of first and second place in multiple articles with times , but no time on third. I may be a little selfish because I was in third on Saturday and ended up in forth. I really wanted to know when I was taken out. :confused:

Slickcraft 02-14-2012 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidonkee (Post 176103)
Hello,
First time user. I was wondering why the third place trout did not have a time is was caught. All the articles I've read of first and second place in multiple articles with times , but no time on third. I may be a little selfish because I was in third on Saturday and ended up in forth. I really wanted to know when I was taken out. :confused:

Welcome to the forum. I did look at a blow-up of my original photo of the leader board but could not read the tag on the #3 fish.

skidonkee 02-14-2012 07:28 PM

oh the derby

Dear Slickcraft,
Thank you, the picture did help I was able to see the zip tie that holds the fish up. The zip tie is clear the same as mine. The fourth place fish has a black zip tie. Thank you again. One last question, u said the picture was noonish*? Maybe 1 or 2. My wife says I need to let the derby go . :)

Jonas Pilot 02-14-2012 07:32 PM

Always listen to your wife. Especially on Valentines Day!

skidonkee 02-14-2012 07:39 PM

Thanks again, I m a lucky man she loves me and let me go to the derby for three days. And I made a 150 more than my friends:eek:

Jonas Pilot 02-14-2012 07:48 PM

Not that your bragging. Was that for one fish?

Slickcraft 02-14-2012 08:19 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by skidonkee (Post 176126)
Dear Slickcraft,
Thank you, the picture did help I was able to see the zip tie that holds the fish up. The zip tie is clear the same as mine. The fourth place fish has a black zip tie. Thank you again. One last question, u said the picture was noonish*? Maybe 1 or 2. My wife says I need to let the derby go . :)

We were there at 11:30 on Sunday, here is best look at #3 and #4 at that time. Always listen to your wife!

skidonkee 02-14-2012 08:22 PM

Yes and missed third place by 2 one hundredth of a lbs or ounces. Mine was 1.93 and his was 1.95 Wtf over:cool:

calef22 02-15-2012 07:05 PM

2/100ths and " The Cusk"

Quote:

Originally Posted by skidonkee (Post 176134)
Yes and missed third place by 2 one hundredth of a lbs or ounces. Mine was 1.93 and his was 1.95 Wtf over:cool:

You would be surprised at how often those 1/100th's play into the results. I (my group) have been knocked out with less than 3 minutes to go and a few hours to go and by less than a 1/10th.

Did anyone do well with the Cusk? Seemed to be in deep water because we struggled with Cusk lines and did worse while jigging. For the most part, we could not find them in our usual haunts.