Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Kayak storage question (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=23938)

Biggd 10-19-2018 10:24 AM

Kayak storage question

Does anyone leave their Kayaks out all winter? I have two kayaks and paddle board that I have always put in my garage over the winter.
A friend of ours is moving to Florida and giving me her 2 Kayaks. I don't have room in my garage for all of them. I was thinking of leaving 2 of them on my racks at the beach. Should I at least cover them? :confused:

fatlazyless 10-19-2018 10:38 AM

....... Mr kayak storage expert here!!!

Here's what to do …… for about $7.50 get the large spray bottle of ArmorAll original ….. and rub it on with a big sponge on a warm, dry day, or whenever.

Store the kayaks flat upside facing down, so no rain/snow can collect inside. Be careful where you position the supports under the kayaks, and foam noodles can do a good job of padding the supports, or cushioning under the kayak hull.

ArmorAll original protects from exposure to the sun, rain, and snow, and feeds the kayak material.

Is best to remove snow and not let the snow pile up on the kayak, all winter long.

Is definitely ok to leave kayaks out doors all winter when you do the above without covering them, but is also better to store in a more shady area. I don't use covers because it complicates the rain and snow drainage/removal.

rick35 10-19-2018 11:28 AM

I would add that a cockpit cover is a good idea to keep critters out. If you don’t have a fitted one you can make one from a piece of an old blue tarp and rope and a bungee cord. Search in YouTube for ideas. Leaving them out in the winter can’t be any worse than leaving them out in the summer. And no spiders!

Biggd 10-19-2018 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rick35 (Post 303720)
I would add that a cockpit cover is a good idea to keep critters out. If you don’t have a fitted one you can make one from a piece of an old blue tarp and rope and a bungee cord. Search in YouTube for ideas. Leaving them out in the winter can’t be any worse than leaving them out in the summer. And no spiders!

That's what I thought but wasn't sure. I don't know what I'm going to do with 4 Kayaks but they were free so I couldn't refuse. :)

thinkxingu 10-19-2018 12:46 PM

Give one or two to me! I've got two kids just hitting kayaking age, so we've been looking for good deals!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

tummyman 10-19-2018 01:33 PM

Sign me up for 2 as well, if there are any left !

Biggd 10-19-2018 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 303723)
Give one or two to me! I've got two kids just hitting kayaking age, so we've been looking for good deals!

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

She will be back staying with us next summer. She would kill me if I gave them away.

She gave me an old Canoe also that needs new seats.

Lakegeezer 10-19-2018 05:21 PM

Leave them outside

Here's another vote for keeping them outside over the winter. I used to carry them into the basement each winter and one year was too lazy to do it. No problem. There are a few spiders inside once the spring gets here, but no damage. Even the snow on top doesn't seem to matter.

ApS 10-19-2018 07:24 PM

Secure with Stout Cord...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 303717)
Does anyone leave their Kayaks out all winter? I have two kayaks and paddle board that I have always put in my garage over the winter.
A friend of ours is moving to Florida and giving me her 2 Kayaks. I don't have room in my garage for all of them. I was thinking of leaving 2 of them on my racks at the beach. Should I at least cover them? :confused:

Kayaks and canoes can be flipped or carried-away by winter winds. I'd tie both to the rack, and to each other. Attach a name and telephone number, and spread or spray some kind of preservative—recommended for the type of finish—to help shed ice and snow.

rick35 10-19-2018 07:49 PM

Just hung two of my kayaks from the garage ceiling today. Gets them up and out of the way.

kawishiwi 10-19-2018 11:13 PM

Sun Damage

I believe most plastics, canoes & kayaks, are still subject to breakdown by by direct sunlight. Winter sun is weaker and I dont know to what extent plastics degrade but its something to consider. Also fittings will be stressed more by expansion & contraction if temp. swings are greater. I have hung such boats from the garage ceiling above vehicles. Done right it makes racking & de-racking quite easy.

Greene's Basin Girl 10-20-2018 01:51 AM

We have two kayaks. We put them upside down outside on racks and cover them each with a tarp. We put the tarps totally around the kayaks and secure the tarps with rope. We have done this for 10 years. They are as good as new every spring. You can actually put them on any solid service, even a picnic table. The kayaks stay dry because the tarps totally cover them.

chachee52 10-20-2018 06:51 AM

I would also add that you put them on their side. They are strongest there so if snow is going to accumulate on them, this will keep the bottom from warping. I had that happen with a 14' plastic kayak, my sister left it flat and the next year the bottom was all warped, now it tracks to the right :(

rick35 10-20-2018 11:42 AM

I was in an LL Bean outlet once and saw a couple of kayaks hanging from the grab handles. That’s the worst thing you could do to make the hull lose its shape.

Descant 10-20-2018 04:26 PM

The camp is on piers, so the kayaks go under the house summer and winter. No special treatment or covering. Canoe is out, upside down, year round. SUP comes indoors for the winter, has an outdoor wall rack for summer.

nhcatrider 10-21-2018 05:57 PM

I hang mine upside down under the back deck, never had an issue with critters or spiders, but I do get them down before bees come out in the spring.

chocophile 10-22-2018 10:16 AM

Lock?

About 10 years ago we had both our kayaks stolen from the side of our house, and our neighbors lost theirs also. So now we put them in the basement during the winter, and when they are outside I padlock one of them (the expensive one) via a cable around a tree and U-bolt I installed on the kayak. I know a determined thief could still steal it, but it might serve as a deterrent.

rick35 10-22-2018 05:38 PM

You know locks only work against honest people. If someone wants a locked item bad enough they’ll get it. I lock my kayaks with Lasso kayak locking cables and one of my locks froze up. It took about two minutes with a battery powered sawzall to cut through the relatively thick cable.

Biggd 10-25-2018 12:36 PM

I have decided to leave 2 down at the beach on the racks and the 2 new ones that I just picked up I put under my deck at my home in Ma for the winter.
I have a 2 car garage at my home in Ma and a 2 car garage at the home in Meredith and they always seem to be full. :(