Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Home, Cottage or Land Maintenance (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=8)
-   -   Winnipesaukee Lumber (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24033)

Katie H 11-30-2018 08:58 PM

Winnipesaukee Lumber

I heard through the grape vine from a VERY GOOD source that the lumber yard has been sold. Good or Bad news? the place has major problems.

ApS 11-30-2018 10:02 PM

Free at Last...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katie H (Post 304923)
I heard through the grape vine from a VERY GOOD source that the lumber yard has been sold. Good or Bad news? the place has major problems.

If true, I see it as good news. :)

Whoever is selling will be free to go boating more often—and I can visit by boat more often... ;)
:look:

tis 12-01-2018 07:57 AM

It is NOT true that Winnipesaukee Lumber has been sold.

What problems?

Seaplane Pilot 12-02-2018 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 304932)

What problems?

I’ve only been there a couple of times, but I never had any problems or issues with them. Service was great, and they had what I was looking for.

chasedawg 12-02-2018 10:26 PM

winnipesaukee Lumber

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 304932)

What problems?

I have been buying my building materials from Winnipesaukee for 20 years. Never had a problem. They have dedicated employees that have been there for many years. Even in the recession they keep their employees on the payroll. Close family owners that treat their clients and employees with respect. If you may have a billing or some other issue. Call and tell them what your issue may be. They will work with you to get it corrected.

DON'T GO POSTING ON THE FORUM. THAT IS SO RUDE AND CAN CAUSE SO MUCH DAMAGE FOR A FAMILY OWNED BUSINESS THAT HAS BEEN HELPING AND SUPPORTING THE COMMUNITY FOR A VERY LONG TIME.

Ajd 12-03-2018 11:54 AM

Winni lumber has always been a huge help with every single task I’ve had. They always have what you need and if they don’t they can always order it in a timely manner. Great products and staff.

Katie H 12-08-2018 06:55 PM

new owners????

https://www.belletetes.com/

TheTimeTraveler 12-09-2018 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katie H (Post 305155)

Winni Lumber's Wolfeboro location is NOT listed in the Belletetes web site listings of locations.

tis 12-09-2018 11:46 AM

That is because they don't own it, Time Traveler.

TheTimeTraveler 12-09-2018 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 305160)
That is because they don't own it, Time Traveler.

Exactly my point!

Katie H 12-09-2018 07:55 PM

Just wait for it!!!!!! Not now, Time traveler. But just wait.

tis 12-10-2018 07:40 AM

Katie, what makes you think you know so much?

VitaBene 12-10-2018 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katie H (Post 305175)
Just wait for it!!!!!! Not now, Time traveler. But just wait.

Not sure what your agenda is... Your first post said it has been sold. Your last post says wait for it. Your VERY GOOD Source does not seem so good?

Rusty 12-10-2018 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitaBene (Post 305185)
Not sure what your agenda is... Your first post said it has been sold. Your last post says wait for it. Your VERY GOOD Source does not seem so good?

His/her last post was to wait for it to be posted on the new owners website, not that it had been sold.

VitaBene 12-10-2018 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 305186)
His/her last post was to wait for it to be posted on the new owners website, not that it had been sold.

The first on this thread said it was sold, past tense. That was well over a week ago. I think if Winnipesaukee Lumber had been sold a 10 days ago, it would be announced officially and would have made the papers. I asked the owner if it had been sold, the owner stated it had not been sold. I think I will believe the owner at this point!

Who knows if they sell at some point? Regardless, it seems like the OP has an ax to grind.

Rusty 12-10-2018 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitaBene (Post 305188)
The first on this thread said it was sold, past tense. That was well over a week ago. I think if Winnipesaukee Lumber had been sold a 10 days ago, it would be announced officially and would have made the papers. I asked the owner if it had been sold, the owner stated it had not been sold. I think I will believe the owner at this point!

Who knows if they sell at some point? Regardless, it seems like the OP has an ax to grind.

Well said and I agree with you.

Katie H 12-15-2018 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VitaBene (Post 305188)

Do YOU really know them? Wait a bit. and, NO axe to grind. I prefer Ashland lumber.

thinkxingu 12-16-2018 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katie H (Post 304923)

I don't understand why this thread exists.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

Top-Water 12-16-2018 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 305346)
I don't understand why this thread exists.

Sent from my Moto G (5S) Plus using Tapatalk

I agree, it truly seems that the original poster had an ax to grind. That IMHO backfired with satisfied customers reporting good experiences counter acting
the negative spirit of the original post, however I find the second post in the thread just as bizarre.

Billd72 12-16-2018 08:37 AM

Winnipesaukee Lumber

I have always had great service and they usually had what I needed.

winterh 12-16-2018 08:41 AM

Not sure what original posters agenda is but certainly up to no good. I have been a customer for years. Always happy. Maybe they will sell someday and if they do I hope they make a bundle. I have sold several small businesses over the years. Selling does not mean you are in trouble.

Top-Water 12-16-2018 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 305347)
I find the second post in the thread just as bizarre.

Second post explained via private message. Thank you,,,,,,,,,, turns out it's another positive vote for Winnipesaukee Lumber but cryptic.

secondcurve 12-16-2018 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Billd72 (Post 305348)
I have always had great service and they usually had what I needed.

Yes. Good products and service but HIGH prices.

tis 12-16-2018 11:28 AM

The prices are only high on dimensional lumber because it is all doug fir. Nobody else carries only fir, the others all carry spruce. Fir is higher priced but has less waste. It is stronger, straighter and more stable. However, if you compare other products, apples to apples, their price are not high.

Rusty 12-16-2018 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Top-Water (Post 305350)
Second post explained via private message. Thank you,,,,,,,,,, turns out it's another positive vote for Winnipesaukee Lumber but cryptic.

It's not cryptic to some of us.:D

VitaBene 12-18-2018 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Katie H (Post 305345)
Do YOU really know them? Wait a bit. and, NO axe to grind. I prefer Ashland lumber.

Why would I say I know them ((Dick and Diane) if I didn't?

TCC 12-18-2018 09:06 AM

I bought lumber at Winnipesaukee Lumber exactly once - when we first moved here.

I needed some 4x8 sheets of 5/8" A/C plywood, ripped to 2x8. They didn't have a proper saw for doing this, but was told that if I sought out (???) in the back and asked him really nicely he might cut it for me.

He cut it with a small skill saw. The cuts weren't straight. The plywood had more filler in it (both sides) that I've ever seen in plywood, before or since. The process seemed to take forever and I ended up feeling obliged to give him a healthy gratuity. He did spend a lot of time on this and it wasn't his fault that the lumberyard lacked a basic piece of lumber yard equipment to do the job properly.

I really don't like posting negative comments, but people come to this site looking for honest information and, from my perspective, this thread seems to have turned into a bit of a love-fest.

tis 12-18-2018 09:27 AM

It's a lumberyard. It sells lumber, it doesn't employ carpenters to cut the wood it sells. The majority of the customers are contractors or skilled and the service is rarely needed. I would have no idea why the plywood didn't look good to you. Maybe you got a bad piece?

DEJ 12-18-2018 09:36 AM

More Love

Great place, never an issue. Quality products, nice staff.:)

upthesaukee 12-18-2018 10:10 AM

Panel saw

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 305401)
It's a lumberyard. It sells lumber, it doesn't employ carpenters to cut the wood it sells. The majority of the customers are contractors or skilled and the service is rarely needed. I would have no idea why the plywood didn't look good to you. Maybe you got a bad piece?

Some lumber yards, like some of the big box stores, have a panel cutter, which is essentially circular saw on a frame that allows an accurate cut to made safely. Typically, you pay for the full sheet, but they will make one straight cut to order, i.e. taking a 4x8 and making a cut to produce a 4x6 piece & a 4x2 piece.

Dave

Biggd 12-18-2018 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TCC (Post 305400)
I bought lumber at Winnipesaukee Lumber exactly once - when we first moved here.

I needed some 4x8 sheets of 5/8" A/C plywood, ripped to 2x8. They didn't have a proper saw for doing this, but was told that if I sought out (???) in the back and asked him really nicely he might cut it for me.

He cut it with a small skill saw. The cuts weren't straight. The plywood had more filler in it (both sides) that I've ever seen in plywood, before or since. The process seemed to take forever and I ended up feeling obliged to give him a healthy gratuity. He did spend a lot of time on this and it wasn't his fault that the lumberyard lacked a basic piece of lumber yard equipment to do the job properly.

I really don't like posting negative comments, but people come to this site looking for honest information and, from my perspective, this thread seems to have turned into a bit of a love-fest.

If you're buying lumber you should own a skill saw. They shouldn't have to cut it for you and you shouldn't be expecting a perfect cut if they did. For that you need to visit the DIY stores like Home Depot or Lowes.

Rusty 12-18-2018 10:32 AM

This thread isn't going to turn out very well if it is allowed to continue.
Just my opinion anyway.

Lakesailor 12-18-2018 06:31 PM

I don't own a pick up truck for hauling plywood. But I do own a Milwaukee 18 volt cordless circular saw. Everybody should own one. Great for cutting your own wood in the parking lot. Just add tape and square.

fatlazyless 12-18-2018 07:24 PM

Way back on the left, at the back of the lumber area, the Lowe's in Gilford has a wall mounted circle saw that accurately cuts up a 4x8' plywood sheet, and you get two free cuts per sheet.

Plus, there's usually free coffee up front of the lumber area.

For really good free k-cup coffee, go to the nearby Meredith Village Savings at Lowe's ...... is worth a stop ..... just for the coffee. Just walk in the bank and act like you own it ...... say something like ...... got any left-over donuts today?

Rusty 12-18-2018 07:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 305427)
Way back on the left, at the back of the lumber area, the Lowe's in Gilford has a wall mounted circle saw that accurately cuts up a 4x8' plywood sheet, and you get two free cuts per sheet.

Plus, there's usually free coffee up front of the lumber area.

For really good free k-cup coffee, go to the nearby Meredith Village Savings at Lowe's ...... is worth a stop ..... just for the coffee. Just walk in the bank and act like you own it ...... say something like ...... got any left-over donuts today?

They are called panel saws.
This is the one that most Lowes have..I assume they still has have them, haven't been there for a while.

ApS 01-02-2019 08:18 AM

Winnipesaukee Lumber sells Artificial Wood...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rusty (Post 305406)
This thread isn't going to turn out very well if it is allowed to continue.

Well, let's try this:

Moss (discussed here previously) has caused moisture and rot on one 8" wide facia (vertical roof edge) board—which is about 20 feet above the ground. Because of localized dampness (huge tree) would anyone suggest replacing the facia with artificial lumber?

Likely, scaffolding would be required, what contractor in the Wolfeboro area would take this job?

joey2665 01-02-2019 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ApS (Post 305817)
Well, let's try this:

Moss (discussed here previously) has caused moisture and rot on one 8" wide facia (vertical roof edge) board—which is about 20 feet above the ground. Because of localized dampness (huge tree) would anyone suggest replacing the facia with artificial lumber?

Likely, scaffolding would be required, what contractor in the Wolfeboro area would take this job?

I love using Azek for facia board. So much more durable and weather resistant and you can’t tell the difference once painted.

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Biggd 01-02-2019 09:20 AM

You can also use pressure treated boards but you have to let them dry out a month or two before you stain or paint them. I just bought 1" x 8" this past summer and stained it after about a month with a solid oil based Olympic stain. Somehow painting Azek defeats the purpose of using plastic. Once you paint it, it's no longer maintenance free, JMO.

tis 01-02-2019 09:26 AM

You can use Azek. It is wonderful to have the maintenance free. There is also a new product called Boral that is made from coal ash that is easily paintable and has the same properties as Azek and it's a little less money. Any local contractor capable of doing the wood can do these products.

VitaBene 01-02-2019 12:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 305821)
You can also use pressure treated boards but you have to let them dry out a month or two before you stain or paint them. I just bought 1" x 8" this past summer and stained it after about a month with a solid oil based Olympic stain. Somehow painting Azek defeats the purpose of using plastic. Once you paint it, it's no longer maintenance free, JMO.

On our previous home we painted the Azek, mostly to cover the nail holes. The pint really held up well. I visited the house 10 years later and they have not repainted the trim since.

joey2665 01-02-2019 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Biggd (Post 305821)

I partially disagree with the Azek comment. Yes it is not maintenance free but since it is not subject to expansion and contraction the result is you will have virtually no maintenance, maybe repainting once every 5-6 years at most

Biggd 01-02-2019 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joey2665 (Post 305841)
I partially disagree with the Azek comment. Yes it is not maintenance free but since it is not subject to expansion and contraction the result is you will have virtually no maintenance, maybe repainting once every 5-6 years at most

The same can be said for pressure treated wood at a much lower cost. It's just another option as some people do not like plastic trim.
The house I bought 5 years ago has barn board siding. Because of the snow sliding off the metal roof and piling up against the house the siding was rotted two feet up in the front and the back of the house. I didn't want to reside the whole house and I didn't want plastic siding because of rustic feel of the house. So I put 2-1/2 foot board and baton wainscoting, made from pressure treated wood, on the bottom of the house. I let it dry out and after about a month I stained it with an solid oil base stain. I know it will not rot but now my only question is how long before I have to stain it again. Only time will tell. Now I have to stain the rest of the house.

DEJ 01-02-2019 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 305822)
You can use Azek. It is wonderful to have the maintenance free. There is also a new product called Boral that is made from coal ash that is easily paintable and has the same properties as Azek and it's a little less money. Any local contractor capable of doing the wood can do these products.

You sure know a lot about wood/lumber tis. ;)

joey2665 01-02-2019 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tis (Post 305822)

Boral is a concrete admixture company which includes the use and remanufacturing of coal "fly ash" which is used as a partial substitute for cement in concrete after a processing procedure and also used as backfill at many energy plants and landfills