Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   General Discussion (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Internet provider company (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26473)

navymom01 10-22-2020 12:13 PM

Internet provider company

Hello, we are looking for internet provider for our home off of Cattle Landing in Meredith. We currently have Atlantic Broadband but are having a terrible time getting service.

Lakegeezer 10-22-2020 01:55 PM

Hub 66

Check out Hub66. They offer fixed wireless in the area and I believe one of their antennas is in Meredith. If you are within 5 miles of their tower and can get line of sight, its possible to get 200-400 Mbps speeds. They also offer fiber to the home in some spots, but not much around here yet. Pricing is $89/month, with special rates for those that qualify for lifeline and seasonal trickle rates.

TheProfessor 10-22-2020 04:32 PM

It will arrive sometime.

Elon Musk's SpaceX: 60 more Starlink internet satellites launch ahead of public beta

LINK

fatlazyless 10-23-2020 07:55 AM

I'm on Cattle Landing Rd and have Consolidated Communications and it works great for two different lap tops watching two different You Tube TV channels at the same time, or this Winnipesaukee forum and a Tennis Channel tennis match, at the same time, through the large Consolidated wifi modem that's part of the deal.

The Consolidated modem is strong enough to send the signal out to me in a rowboat, out on the lake, for maybe 100-yards.

The installation guy was here in January and ran new fiber optic line from the paved Cattle Landing Rd main line, into my house which took about two hours, but he did it in January ......... so's a big round of applause for that Consolidated Communications installation guy, up on a ladder on a very cold January morning.

It costs $75/month total, for the first two years on a special, before the price goes up, and the installation cost about $100-extra.

Lakegeezer 10-23-2020 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 345556)
The installation guy was here in January and ran new fiber optic line from the paved Cattle Landing Rd main line, into my house which took about two hours, but he did it in January ......... so's a big round of applause for that Consolidated Communications installation guy, up on a ladder on a very cold January morning.

It costs $75/month total, for the first two years on a special, before the price goes up, and the installation cost about $100-extra.

Wow! It is rare, but not unheard of, to find locations where Consolidated offers Fiber to the home. If is available for you, it is probably the best option. In cases that I've seen around here, Consolidated only offered business fiber, costing $200/month for 100 Megabit service. Times, they are improving.

fatlazyless 10-23-2020 08:35 AM

Maybe it is fiber, maybe not, just assume it is because he took two hours to replace the line coming in from the road, removing the old cable-tv line?

I have no clue .... :eek:?

MAXUM 10-23-2020 11:36 AM

Consolidated Communications offers residential DSL service which is not delivered via Fiber.

Chances are the reason why you needed new line run is that what you had was not compatible for modern DSL service.

If you notice they don't offer any speeds beyond 100MB which shows they are limited by the media they have to work with and 100MB is the best you'd ever see out of DSL in short bursts on a good day with the planets aligned just right.

Where as Atlantic Broadband offers service up to 1 GB over coax vs phone line.

TheTimeTraveler 10-23-2020 05:50 PM

Just out of curiosity; is there anyone out there still using dial up for their internet connection?

ApS 10-23-2020 06:53 PM

Flummoxed with Fairpoint...

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheTimeTraveler (Post 345578)
Just out of curiosity; is there anyone out there still using dial up for their internet connection?

A couple of years ago, I checked with worldpath.net (local to the Lakes Region) who seemed amenable to have me back as a customer.

:look:

MDoug 10-28-2020 08:05 PM

Internet

We have had good service from Consolidated Tel for our laptops and smart tv