Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Diving Winnipesaukee (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26)
-   -   35-Foot Steamer in Wolfeboro Bay (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18004)

Grant 07-29-2014 09:05 AM

35-Foot Steamer in Wolfeboro Bay

A few weeks ago, Capt. Pat and I were checking out a relatively new (old) wreck in Wolfeboro Bay, and afterward decided to run out my reel and do a large circle around the anchor line. About 3/4 of the way around, I realized that my reel line had snagged something in the distance, and went to free it. As I got close to the offending object, I realized is was a another wreck -- a very nicely preserved 35-36 ft. steamer.

I haven't pared down the video, which is kind of long, but here's the whole thing, including the (incredibly thrilling) part where I head back to find Pat & convince him to follow me back to the boat. ;)

http://youtu.be/1spNkIGCbYU?list=UUd...NsShNvWpApk8jA

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/1spNkIGCbYU?list=UUdNridZnSNsShNvWpApk8jA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Diver1111 07-29-2014 07:51 PM

Nice find! I'd be interested in knowing how far it is from the "group" and how long it is; Taking video is important thanks.

Grant 07-31-2014 08:06 AM

From what I remember when we linked 'the group' with tape last year, it's not too close. It is, however, quite close to the twin-engine Correct Craft -- at a heading of 100-110...perhaps 30-40 yards away. Have to check my notes.

Senter Cove Guy 09-14-2014 11:08 PM

2 More Wrecks Linked Together

There are at least 6 known wrecks that can be found just in front of the mooring field in front of Goodhue & Hawkins Navy Yard in Wolfeboro Bay.

A couple of years ago we linked 4 of them together. A barge and 3 old steamers.

Today, Capt. Pat and I linked 2 more together. They ARE NOT linked to the other 4. That's a project for another day.

Today, we started by dropping our flag marker on an old, burned out, wooden Correct Craft at Lat/Lon N 43 34.559 W 71 13.410. Depth is 50 feet. We dropped pretty much right down on it. We tied some white fiber tape to the circular stern cleat and set off on a course of 110 degrees where we expected to find the 36 foot steamer that Grant & Capt. Pat found in July 2014. We expected to see it about 100 - 125 feet away but it's closer to 180 feet away. We tied the white fiber tape to the forward portion of the 2nd wreck.

The second wreck is long and narrow. We need to go back and measure it but I'm guessing that it's closer to 40- 45 feet long. It has a very narrow, pointed bow and is square in the stern. These 2 features are not indicative of a steamer. Capt Pat thinks he saw some battery cables in the stern and I saw a very corroded, unreadable license plate on the stern.

The attached video was taken about 2- 3 weeks ago. The first wreck in the video is the long and narrow wreck (todays 2nd wreck) while the second wreck in the video only shows the 2, very large engines that powered the old Correct Craft.

http://youtu.be/N7yBwOj3wmM

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/N7yBwOj3wmM?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Diver1111 09-19-2014 09:38 PM

Wow that thing is really long-wild design too. Can you imagine that thing in its day? Nice clip thanks.

Any idea what year the plate showed?

Senter Cove Guy 10-05-2014 10:57 PM

It's Longer Than I Originally Thought

I hand measured this wreck today and it's estimated length is about 63 feet.

Orion 10-06-2014 10:21 AM

Wow!

Senter Cove Guy, is that a typo? 63 feet!

It sure would be great to learn more about the history of this grand old gal. She must've been the talk of the Lake at one time, a real beauty, I'm sure. Seems that somebody would know something. It certainly looks like a well-crafted yacht.

We'll have to change the title of the thread.

Senter Cove Guy 10-06-2014 12:44 PM

No Typo

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orion (Post 234544)
Senter Cove Guy, is that a typo? 63 feet!

It sure would be great to learn more about the history of this grand old gal. She must've been the talk of the Lake at one time, a real beauty, I'm sure. Seems that somebody would know something. It certainly looks like a well-crafted yacht.

We'll have to change the title of the thread.

It's a long one.

Senter Cove Guy 06-28-2016 06:20 PM

The Reel Measurement

Capt. Pat found a new toy in his workshop. It's a coated measuring tape reel that is perfect for underwater measuring.

We took it over to the long, skinny wreck that I "hand measured" at 63 feet 2 years ago and the wreck turns out to be exactly 40 feet long.

Grant 07-13-2016 10:36 AM

When I first happened upon that wreck, I measured it end-to-end, using my body as a crude (and somewhat chubby) tape measure, and estimated it at about 36 ft. Not too far off!

SunsetPointWentworth 02-17-2018 11:33 PM

Still waiting for you boys to find that horse and sleigh in Wolfeboro Bay.

Senter Cove Guy 02-17-2018 11:47 PM

The Sleigh - It's Out There

A friend of mine accidently "found" the sleigh last summer. I hope to check it out this coming summer.