Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Weather (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Spring! (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7394)

Merrymeeting 03-08-2009 07:48 PM

Spring!

When not at the lake, I live in north central MA, which climate-wize is similar to the lakes region and typically has the highest snowfall amounts outside of the mountain areas in NE.

Today I spent my 3rd day doing "brush" burning to rid my acres of the devastation from the pre-Christmas ice storm that cut our power for 7 days.

In the few areas that are now snow free as a result of the fires, I was amazed as I raked the wet oak leaves to find greenery (albeit weeds) growing under the leaf cover! It's coming!!!!

corollaman 03-08-2009 08:05 PM

yeah,maybe thats a sign of an early spring-let's all hope!

phoenix 03-08-2009 09:13 PM

will open the house April 23rd. Hopefully we can burn at that time. last year was a no burn due to the dry April( even though the ground was still wet)

Rose 03-08-2009 09:44 PM

We're also in North Central Mass and have crocuses and daffodils poking their heads up in a couple of gardens which are now snow free.

jetskier 03-08-2009 09:58 PM

Lake is behind this

We were up at the lake this weekend. There is still a ground cover of snow, but we had temperatures in the lower 50s over the past two days. There was also rain last night. The areas of exposed ground and pavement are absorbing the sunlight and causing very rapid melting. All of the lakes are showing standing water on the ice and I would pull any bob huts quite quickly.

My guess is that we will see bare ground within about 10 days and ice out will be early April.

Jetskier:cool:

corollaman 03-08-2009 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jetskier (Post 90193)
We were up at the lake this weekend. There is still a ground cover of snow, but we had temperatures in the lower 50s over the past two days. There was also rain last night. The areas of exposed ground and pavement are absorbing the sunlight and causing very rapid melting. All of the lakes are showing standing water on the ice and I would pull any bob huts quite quickly.

My guess is that we will see bare ground within about 10 days and ice out will be early April.

Jetskier:cool:

Yeah, If it stays in the low 40's, high 30's like they said it's gonna! One more storm tonight and Monday, then rain Wednesday, then it's not supposed to get really cold. I checked Accuweather.com and it said mid 50's next week. So, if thise temps stay the same, we'll see Ice Out in the 1st or 2nd week of April and snow cover gone in a couple weeks. Even if we get the 6 inches tomorrow like they're saying, it will be gone before the weekend.

TomC 03-09-2009 03:46 AM

Brush burning Moultonborough

I usually chip up all the deadfall in the spring. I was thinking about burning instead as my chipper makes a racket and it is hard work.

What is the permitting process (if any) and other rules for brush burning in Moultonboro?

Thanks

SAMIAM 03-09-2009 05:49 AM

Burning is allowed any time if there is snow cover in 100' radius of the fire.Also ok to burn when it's raining.Other than that a permit is required and you have to wait until 5pm to light up. Get a permit at Chickadee Station.Pretty sure I'm right,but still wise to check before burning.

phoenix 03-09-2009 08:34 AM

and you have to get the permit the day you want to burn

corollaman 03-09-2009 08:43 AM

It's not officially spring till March 20th,but hopefully today's storm is the last snow!

Ropetow 03-09-2009 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corollaman (Post 90212)
It's not officially spring till March 20th,but hopefully today's storm is the last snow!

For those of us who downhill ski, cross-country ski, snowmobile, snowshoe, ice fish, or otherwise enjoy the great outdoors more than from Memorial Day to Labor Day....Hopefully you are wrong. In many ways the Big Lake is as beautiful covered with ice as it is in July. Have you ever tried a winter sport? I highly recommend it. There's a place for those that want to boat 12 months a year....It's called Florida. :D

upthesaukee 03-09-2009 02:19 PM

Spring with a slow melt

It is nice to see winter just kinda wind down, slow melt off, lake doesn't get real high and you can get under certain bridges easily, golf courses drain well and dry out, roads get back to normal quickly, golf courses drain well and dry out, lake doesn't get real high and you can get under certain bridges easily, the spring flowers come up (crocuses [croci?:)], daffodils, etc), did I mention the lake and the golf courses??????:D

It seems that the longer snow lasts due to additional snow, the more damage to trails due to the longer days and warmer temps between storms. I don't snowmobile, but do love winter and most of the winter activities, but about this time, I start looking forward to the change from white to green.

Merrymeeting 03-09-2009 07:57 PM

Having started this, I'll also state my love for all NE seasons. Part of the reason is the wonder and joy of change that comes with each one.

Traditionally, our last ski trip of the winter is the first week in March. After that, it's like a switch and my mind turns to ice-out/Spring.

While I love winter, I've had enough this year. I'm ready for the next season.

chipj29 03-10-2009 06:27 AM

Last year, I was able to ride my snowmobile around my local trails up until April 1. My last real ride was March 30, but I did take a short cruise on April 1, just to say I did. There was actually a lot of snow that day, but the open water bars made it a rough ride to say the least.
This past Saturday, my buddy and I went on what we thought was our last cruise. We dressed light, which is unusual on a sled. The trails were getting thin quick, but we still had a great day. Some new snow yesterday may get me out again one day this week, but will have to see what the weather brings us.

SIKSUKR 03-10-2009 01:49 PM

Some of my favorite days of the year outside are in March.Big blue skies with temps in the 50's on top of a mountain still full of snow can be incredibly warm if you have the right exposure.Just Sunday I was sitting on my deck in shorts.The thermo said 70 in the protected area against my house.The birds were chirping and I saw a couple flys while drinking a mudslide.It will be here soon enough.One needs to get creative and this time of year can be simply spectacular!

sa meredith 03-10-2009 02:05 PM

thanks

The visual of "drinking a mudslide, out on the deck, in 70 degree temps, with the birds chirping" brought a smile to an otherwise miserable afternoon. Really.
Thanks!
Although, I must say, that because of the NCAA Tourney, March has long been a favorite month of mine.

corollaman 03-12-2009 11:27 PM

Looks like more nice weather for this weekend! I'll be able to get out and actually do some stuff again this weekend, like cook outside again.

hazelnut 03-13-2009 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corollaman (Post 90514)
Looks like more nice weather for this weekend! I'll be able to get out and actually do some stuff again this weekend, like cook outside again.

True that.... We're ALL looking forward to that! :coolsm:

Seaplane Pilot 03-13-2009 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sa meredith (Post 90320)
The visual of "drinking a mudslide, out on the deck, in 70 degree temps, with the birds chirping" brought a smile to an otherwise miserable afternoon. Really.
Thanks!
Although, I must say, that because of the NCAA Tourney, March has long been a favorite month of mine.

I think he meant to say he saw a couple of mudslides while drinking a fly...:liplick:

Right on SS!

Ropetow 03-13-2009 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by corollaman (Post 90514)

Why wait? Just shovel/snow-blow the area around the gas grill. Nothing like cooking steak tips as the snow comes down. Grilling can be a year-round sport.

corollaman 03-14-2009 06:07 PM

It was a great day, and WMUR said tomorrow is gonna be even better, as well as the upcoming week. I ate dinner by the beautiful sunset on Paugus Bay outside tonight after cooking it on the grill. What a gorgeous pink sky!

Merrymeeting 03-16-2009 12:33 PM

Insects!

There's a fly on the Front Lawn webcam at Brookwoods! Next thing you know we'll be complaining about black flies!

It's a comin....

Lakesrider 03-20-2009 05:10 PM

Yep the Shasta Daisies, Lily's, are popping out new growth, and some of the trees are budding now. Come on Spring! Goodbye Winter!:D

corollaman 03-20-2009 06:19 PM

Today is the day!

I'm glad spring is finally here! I'm just waiting for all the snow and ice to go away now. Now that we have reached the vernal equinox, it will go away quick. Can't wait to get the boat in.:laugh::D

Grant 03-21-2009 04:29 PM

I'm about a month away from "opening up," and it can't come fast enough. Gotta stop wishing for time to move more quickly...it can be a blessing and a curse...

trfour 03-22-2009 03:57 AM

I Was Hoping....

Quote:

Originally Posted by corollaman (Post 90932)
I'm glad spring is finally here! I'm just waiting for all the snow and ice to go away now. Now that we have reached the vernal equinox, it will go away quick. Can't wait to get the boat in.:laugh::D

"Way To Go", corollaman! I can't wait for Winter!!.... how long is summer??:eek:.... Summer here in Texas, is about 11 and 1/2 months! ;)
Thank God for Winnipesaukee Web Cams! :)

robmac 03-22-2009 09:04 AM

Well I hope it's summer when I fly in to DFW this week.

JPC 03-22-2009 03:44 PM

Spring???

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grant (Post 90962)
I'm about a month away from "opening up," and it can't come fast enough. Gotta stop wishing for time to move more quickly...it can be a blessing and a curse...

I've been looking out my window here in Milford NH and it has been snowng (flurries) for the past half hr. :confused: I guess I wrote too soon, the sun is breaking out again.

hazelnut 03-22-2009 04:27 PM

Can't WAIT for winter to come again. This ice can't come back fast enough.

I think I'll post about it every day until ice in next year. :laugh:

Ropetow 03-22-2009 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hazelnut (Post 91031)
Can't WAIT for winter to come again. This ice can't come back fast enough.

I think I'll post about it every day until ice in next year. :laugh:

No, just wait until our first heat-wave and start moaning about you hate the heat and can't wait for winter, when you can actually go outside and do something without getting heat-stroke. :laugh:

SIKSUKR 03-24-2009 10:25 AM

Summer can wait

One season at a time folks.Fantastic spring skiing conditions this past weekend with absolutely spectacular big blue sky and warm sunburn goggle tan sun on Saturday.You don't know what your missing.March is the most incredible month on a nice day to be outside on the mountain.More for me I guess.

Ropetow 03-24-2009 04:11 PM

Spring Skiing was indeed fantastic last weekend. Saturday was superb, as was Sunday, especially with the sunny skies briefly interrupted by that snow shower. New England at is finest. Looking forward to this weekend.

Lakesrider 03-24-2009 04:38 PM

I noticed today that the water really opened up near the Wolfeboro town docks. It is at least 100 feet out now, and goes out around the Windrifter and Concordian docks. Also several of the webcams show water working it's way outward from the shore.

Oh and Hazelnut, think of it this way...only 9 more months 'til Christmas!;)

Merrymeeting 03-28-2009 07:32 PM

Well as far as I am concerned, it is now officially Spring.

The peepers were peeping like crazy today!!!

:cheers:

Chillin & Grillin 03-31-2009 11:13 AM

I love when I first hear the peepers.

Janet 03-31-2009 01:57 PM

According to an old neighbor of mine when I lived in Vermont, the peepers have to "freeze in" 3 times before it's spring.

Chickie 03-31-2009 03:34 PM

Waiting to Hear the Peepers

Wow! The peepers have started their annual concerts? I haven't heard any yet, but will listen for them tonight. They usually don't begin here until about mid April. They must be early. Certainly a good sign.

wifi 03-31-2009 06:28 PM

The ants have officially started invading my counter... Here we go !

Pineedles 03-31-2009 06:35 PM

Ants

:eek:

I can't beleive you said ANTS! I saw one on a window today when I was in an employee's cubicle today. Very weird. Different temperatures between NH and CT?

chipj29 04-01-2009 06:55 AM

I got bit by a mosquito in Bow on Friday evening. Still snow on the ground, and the freakin' mosquitos were out. Don't they know that they are supposed to wait until after black fly season?

Just Sold 04-01-2009 07:43 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A Sure Sign of Spring! The Bridge is Full of Fishermen!

Webbsatwinni 04-01-2009 09:45 AM

1 Attachment(s)
And boats in Wolfboro