Winnipesaukee Forum

Winnipesaukee Forum (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/index.php)
-   Boating (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Boating during storms (https://www.winnipesaukee.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22169)

Japek 06-28-2017 08:48 AM

Boating during storms

Hey Winni people. I have boated here at least 10 times. Only once did I experience waves and storms that are worth mentioning. This Sunday we rented a boat out of Alton and plan to head out with a few friends and my pregnant wife. With thunderstorms in the forecast for the whole day on Sunday, should we cancel the rental? Or, are there areas on the lake that are more calm than others during storms? I would hate to cancel because of 20 minutes of rain, but would also hate to put my wife in that position. Any thoughts would be apprecitated.

Phantom 06-28-2017 08:56 AM

Cancelling or not is a REALLY tough one ....... to start with, the accuracy of long range forecasts around the Lakes Region is like going to Foxwoods.

With that said ........... Lightning & boating DO NOT MIX !!

The other factor, as you say, it could be a late afternoon T-storm roll in and you get the better part of the Day to enjoy ........

If it were I -- which it is not -- I would wait until the very last minute .... take an eye to the sky, a dash of weather radar (via phone APP) and make a final decision.

FlyingScot 06-28-2017 09:07 AM

Dont risk it

Even if you're great boaters, the operative word is "pregnant". I suggest waiting until shortly before the cancellation deadline, then canceling if the report is not clean.

Japek 06-28-2017 09:10 AM

Thank you both. The policy is 48 hours before to not lose the deposit. So I need to decide by Friday at 1030 if I don't want to rent for Sunday at 1030. So you might recommend checking the forecast on Friday morning and making a decision at that time.. and if it does not look clear, to cancel? That sounds like a plan... and after posting this I got into the "im sure it will all be fine" mindset.

upthesaukee 06-28-2017 09:14 AM

What Phantom said.
Additionally, keeping an eye on the radar is not enough. Keep in mind where you have gone on the lake and how long it will take to get back to where you rented the boat, get tied up, and get all your stuff into the car or motel.
By the time Sunday gets here, the weather forecast could be the same probability, or less, or higher. Remember, if you don't like New England weather, wait 15 minutes and it will likely change.
Hope your plans work for you.
Dave

Sent from my SM-T580 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Japek 06-28-2017 09:23 AM

Ah, so you might even say keep an eye on it while out there and if we see weather rolling in, just get back to the marina quickly? We will be out of Alton Bay, so I am thinking we hang in the Alton/Wolfeboro area and head back quickly if we see dark. In my experience, you have over an hour to get situated after seeing dark clouds in the distance.

Phantom 06-28-2017 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Japek (Post 280832)
Thank you both. ... and after posting this I got into the "im sure it will all be fine" mindset.

WRONG attitude with a Pregnant wife !

Phantom 06-28-2017 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Japek (Post 280836)
In my experience, you have over an hour to get situated after seeing dark clouds in the distance.

Sometimes, yes .... sometimes, NO !

On average, with my 30+ yrs experience up here ...... more than I care to admit (< drenched > before I got the canvas up) more time NO as opposed to Yes :D

Descant 06-28-2017 09:34 AM

Almost any small cove can protect you from sudden winds. The big issue is lightning, so you don't want to be in the middle of the cove/lake all by yourself. Never hesitate to head for the nearest dock and tie up if you get caught. I'm sure whoever owns it will be happy to have you on their porch for 20 minutes.

I agree about last minute cancellations. Most marinas don't want their boats out in bad storms any more than you want to get caught. If you're only renting for 1/2 day, morning may be the choice.

Japek 06-28-2017 09:51 AM

Truth. I just called the marina and they naturally do not keep a deposit if weather is unsafe. So, if the weather is sketchy, we will not lose a deposit and we will not be boating. I guess I could have called before posting this, but it is always good to get some information.

Japek 06-28-2017 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom (Post 280837)
WRONG attitude with a Pregnant wife !

We want to toughen this baby up a bit before birth

SAMIAM 06-28-2017 11:33 AM

I wouldn't cancel.......easy to check a weather app on your cell phone and have plenty of time to reach shelter.
If it were me I'd hang closer to the eastern side of the lake in order to get better visibilty to the western sky.

Doobs41378 06-28-2017 12:23 PM

What do they define as sketchy weather though? 40% chance at 2pm count as sketchy? Just curious.

GTO 06-28-2017 12:48 PM

go for it

Quote:

Originally Posted by Japek (Post 280829)
Hey Winni people. I have boated here at least 10 times. Only once did I experience waves and storms that are worth mentioning. This Sunday we rented a boat out of Alton and plan to head out with a few friends and my pregnant wife. With thunderstorms in the forecast for the whole day on Sunday, should we cancel the rental? Or, are there areas on the lake that are more calm than others during storms? I would hate to cancel because of 20 minutes of rain, but would also hate to put my wife in that position. Any thoughts would be apprecitated.

We've been out on the boat and been caught a few times over the years. Having a bimini on the boat is helpful and we always have a cheap pair of glasses in the glove box. Rain feels like tiny darts hitting your face while driving fast. best advice, watch the skies and listen for the thunder rolling in. Its a pretty big lake and not all areas will get hit during a storm. I've seen it pouring at the Weirs and the sun out in Meredith.

Bootkie2 06-28-2017 06:51 PM

Saturday looks to be the greater chance of storms and it looks like Sunday will bring some lingering showers as the system blows through. On Sunday you're probably going to be dealing with pockets of rain showers and possibly breezier than normal conditions not to mention a fully packed lake due to the holiday. A rainy and bumpy ride may not be very comfortable for your wife and potentially hazardous for the baby especially depending on how far along she is and the size and type of boat you are renting. A safer bet would be to do a few hours on the mount Washington (relax have some drinks, let someone else do the work) and then next year you can rent a boat again and you'll get to share it with your new Co captain.

KPW 06-28-2017 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bootkie2 (Post 280876)
A rainy and bumpy ride may not be very comfortable for your wife and potentially hazardous for the baby especially depending on how far along she is and the size and type of boat you are renting. A safer bet would be to do a few hours on the mount Washington (relax have some drinks, let someone else do the work) and then next year you can rent a boat again and you'll get to share it with your new Co captain.

Just wanted to reiterate, it can be VERY hazardous for the baby bouncing in a boat when pregnant!!!

Here is a link

http://www.myboatlife.com/2011/08/bo...fety-when.html

Safety Precautions for Boating While Expecting a Baby

How much boating time you can get in while being pregnant most likely depends on the size of your boat and how pregnant you will be during your boating season.

If you have a smaller boat, you’ll definitely want to slow it down and take it easy cruising. Hitting big wakes on the water in a small boat while pregnant can be uncomfortable for you and potentially dangerous to the baby. Taking the boat on short cruises at low speeds in no wake zones is probably more advisable. Consult your doctor about any special precautions you should take if you plan to cruise in a small boat.

If you have a bigger boat that easily handles wakes, such as 30 feet or bigger, then cruising while expecting is much easier. In fact, we took a 2 hour cruise in our 41 foot boat when I was 7 months pregnant with no issues at all. As you get closer to your due date the biggest concern is being too far away from your home marina if you go into labor – so plan boat trips earlier in your pregnancy to be on the safe side.

Some other basic safety precautions for pregnant boaters include:
•Stay hydrated in warm weather
•Avoid lifting heavy gear onto the boat
•Avoid walking on the bow when pregnancy weight makes you less stable
•Slow the boat down when approaching large wakes during cruises

Descant 06-28-2017 09:17 PM

Are these guys all doctors? We don't know how many months or the size of the boat, or the travel patterns. My first son (an island resident) was born in September, so he was in the boat all summer long. 26' Lyman, one of the best riding boats ever. Why don't people ask for or provide the critical information before making conclusive statements?

8gv 06-28-2017 10:12 PM

"It's always sunny on the day of the funeral."

If you respect the weather, it will be fine.

Barney Bear 06-29-2017 06:06 AM

Words From the Wise

In 1964, our doctor advised that my pregnant bride NOT to go boating in our 20 foot Thompson. 🚤

FlyingScot 06-29-2017 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 280887)
Are these guys all doctors? We don't know how many months or the size of the boat, or the travel patterns. My first son (an island resident) was born in September, so he was in the boat all summer long. 26' Lyman, one of the best riding boats ever. Why don't people ask for or provide the critical information before making conclusive statements?

Because it's not our business to make decisions for the captain, and it would be wrong to imply, just for example, that if he had a 26' Lyman, the baby would be fine.

bousquety 06-29-2017 06:39 AM

My wife was considered a high risk pregnancy and one of her doctors has a house on the lake so is familiar with the conditions. Her advice was as long as mom is comfortable baby will be fine.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Rich 06-29-2017 07:05 AM

I'm not going to give medical advice, but here's what I do when weather is predicted.

I check the morning weather forecast. If the boat has a marine radio, listen to the local weather for our area.

What works great for me is to use the "My Radar" app on my smart phone. The only thing this app does, and does well, is to give you near real time (within 10 or 15 minutes) weather radar. Tracking the weather thatt will affect you is more useful than a general forecast, which tells you what is probable, vs what is happening now. Try it and see what I mean.

http://myradar.com

This one is on Apple as well as Android, and it's free version works quite well.

With it you can track a storm cell and see if it's headed your way or not.

If weather is predicted, I'll check it ever 30 minutes or so, this way I'm not caught off guard.

Often storms may track away from you, or if they are headed for you, you can head for a safe place. If needed use anyone's dock.

Yes, it's a tough call to rent or not, but you may have a full early day of boating if the storms don't hit until 3pm or later, if at all.

Be safe, have fun!

Dave R 06-29-2017 08:23 AM

This will sound counter-intuitive, but if you find yourself unable to reach your port during a thunderstorm and need a safe place to hang out, go park next to the nearest decent-sized sail boat. The mast will be bonded and creates a cone of safety that extends down from the mast at 45 degrees. Basically, the mast is a vastly more attractive lightning target than your boat as long as you are within the cone of safety.

fatlazyless 06-29-2017 08:31 AM

Oh yes, and just like the rubber tires on a car insulate your automobile from being a grounding path for lightning; Converse All-Stars, high top sneakers, made with rubber soles, will do the same for you when out boating in a lightning storm!;):laugh:

Phantom 06-29-2017 09:06 AM

Okay --- now your dragging it out of me and making me show my age :(

Long before smartphones with live radar App's........ the tried & true method of determining if the ominous clouds you saw off in the distance is an approaching "electrical" storm (as opposed to a simple rain storm) in the vicinity was to simply switch your onboard radio/stereo onto a low frequency AM setting (800-860) and simply listen! If lightning were occurring, you would literally "hear" it as static in the white noise of the radio band. Louder the static -- the closer the actual thunderhead!

Rich 06-29-2017 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fatlazyless (Post 280913)
Oh yes, and just like the rubber tires on a car insulate your automobile from being a grounding path for lightning; Converse All-Stars, high top sneakers, made with rubber soles, will do the same for you when out boating in a lightning storm!;):laugh:

I don't think it's the rubber helping you here at all. Lighting just traveled a lot further through the air, a little rubber won't stop it.

On the other hand, the body on your car acts as a Faraday cage (google it), so it will protect you, unless you're in a fiberglass car, or a convertible!

Go ahead, wear your sneakers! ;)

Rich 06-29-2017 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom (Post 280919)
Okay --- now your dragging it out of me and making me show my age :(

Long before smartphones with live radar App's........ the tried & true method of determining if the ominous clouds you saw off in the distance is an approaching "electrical" storm (as opposed to a simple rain storm) in the vicinity was to simply switch your onboard radio/stereo onto a low frequency AM setting (800-860) and simply listen! If lightning were occurring, you would literally "hear" it as static in the white noise of the radio band. Louder the static -- the closer the actual thunderhead!

Turn up the volume and it gets very close! :laugh:

Do people even have an AM radio anymore? ;) If they did, do they know how to turn it on?

SIKSUKR 06-29-2017 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 280933)
Do people even have an AM radio anymore? ;) If they did, do they know how to turn it on?

This must be tongue in cheek. I've never had a car that didnt come with AM including my current 2017. I'll bet its almost impossible to buy one without but I know you were being funny. Now if you were talking about 8 track or cassette you would be correct. CD is just about there also.:D

thinkxingu 06-29-2017 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SIKSUKR (Post 280934)
CD is just about there also.:D

My wife's 2014 Jeep doesn't have a CD player.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

Phantom 06-29-2017 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich (Post 280933)
Turn up the volume and it gets very close! :laugh:

Rich -- remember the circle of life my friend
(1) for your children- you protect, train, teach how to use the bathroom, feed, clothe and many other mundane daily tasks
(2) when you get old - Your children are doing the same for YOU

Let's leave it at I am slightly (and VERY slightly) over the 50% mark heading to #2

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

(RattleTrap -- BE QUIET !!)

noreast 06-29-2017 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thinkxingu (Post 280935)
My wife's 2014 Jeep doesn't have a CD player.

Sent from my XT1528 using Tapatalk

It's a jeep, Probably no AC either. That's why I hardly ever drive my kids Wrangler. ugh!

Rich 06-30-2017 05:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phantom (Post 280938)
Rich -- remember the circle of life my friend
(1) for your children- you protect, train, teach how to use the bathroom, feed, clothe and many other mundane daily tasks
(2) when you get old - Your children are doing the same for YOU

Let's leave it at I am slightly (and VERY slightly) over the 50% mark heading to #2

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

(RattleTrap -- BE QUIET !!)

I'm in big trouble!

I'm past the 50% mark too AND I forgot to have any kids!

Doobs41378 06-30-2017 05:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by noreast (Post 280950)
It's a jeep, Probably no AC either. That's why I hardly ever drive my kids Wrangler. ugh!

Big difference between a wrangler and a Grand Cherokee though.

RumGuy 06-30-2017 07:17 AM

Hiding from the storm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 280839)
Almost any small cove can protect you from sudden winds. The big issue is lightning, so you don't want to be in the middle of the cove/lake all by yourself. Never hesitate to head for the nearest dock and tie up if you get caught. I'm sure whoever owns it will be happy to have you on their porch for 20 minutes.

I agree about last minute cancellations. Most marinas don't want their boats out in bad storms any more than you want to get caught. If you're only renting for 1/2 day, morning may be the choice.

I fully agree: Obviously, try to stay off the water if a storm is imminent, but if you do get caught, find an empty dock, or at least get in near shore and anchor. You will probably meet some new friends, but worst case (if they are jerks) you and your Family are safe and you gave some jerks something else to gripe about. In most cases I would suspect a free beer or two and some laughs, as true Lake people are just that way.

Phantom 06-30-2017 07:59 AM

on "safe haven's" .... do not miss the obvious ones (with guaranteed no-hassle) ........... any Marina's gas dock !

upthesaukee 06-30-2017 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RumGuy (Post 280977)
I fully agree: Obviously, try to stay off the water if a storm is imminent, but if you do get caught, find an empty dock, or at least get in near shore and anchor. You will probably meet some new friends, but worst case (if they are jerks) you and your Family are safe and you gave some jerks something else to gripe about. In most cases I would suspect a free beer or two and some laughs, as true Lake people are just that way.

Several years ago, we went out for a boat ride, swim at West Alton, wraps for supper and then back to Parker Marine before a line of severe weather arrived, which was in upstate NY when we left.
Abeam the rock area near Rum Point, lower unit snapped. Called TowboatUS, and once they arrived (busy night), we started the tow to Alton town docks. Got inside Little Mark and we had a huge Tstorm bearing down on us. Ended up tying up to a dock until the storm passed. No sign of life at the house associated with the dock. Rest of tow was uneventful.
Next day, drive down Rte 11D and found the house. Knocked on the door, no one home. We left an envelope with a note telling them what occurred the night before, a $20, and our name and phone number. Felt good about it.
Never heard from the property owner.

Dave

Sent from my SM-T580 using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Phantom 06-30-2017 08:26 AM

NICE TOUCH .............. and filed away in the memory banks should I ever have to do the same !

Bandrews7 06-30-2017 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Japek (Post 280836)
Ah, so you might even say keep an eye on it while out there and if we see weather rolling in, just get back to the marina quickly? We will be out of Alton Bay, so I am thinking we hang in the Alton/Wolfeboro area and head back quickly if we see dark. In my experience, you have over an hour to get situated after seeing dark clouds in the distance.

I disagree with this logic. I was stuck in a storm last year that was the worst I've ever seen on the lake. We had less than 30 minutes to get from where we were to our home dock and we did not make it. We had to ride it out on the lake. Winds were measured in excess of 60 miles an hour with waves over 4 feet. Having the right boat makes a big difference to ride it out if you have to. A pontoon boat is not where I would want to be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

StardogChampion 06-30-2017 12:49 PM

Severe thunderstorms can easily move at 45-55mph so if you see dark clouds there isn't really a way to determine how soon they'll be there. There is no rule of thumb. They can also popup and intensify (or fizzle) as they approach. One moment nothing on the radar and 30 minutes later a strong storm. Keep an eye to the sky and the other on the weather radar. Also, you can download weather radio apps on your phone if your marine radio doesn't have one.

And you definitely do not want to situate yourself next to anything that can be struck by lightning. The voltages are so high, the same rules don't apply.

http://www.boatsafe.com/nauticalknowhow/lightning.htm

overeasy 07-01-2017 07:12 PM

A good boat can handle more rough weather than it's crew. But pregnant wife trumps all.

bobkatfly 07-02-2017 06:55 AM

Unpredictable

Long time ago when we where in Melvin Village my daughter and her friend set out for a canoe ride to store island which is not too far off from our beach. My wife was at the beach and I was back working on our deck. Beautiful day when I started to notice the sky darkening. I started walking to the beach which is about 100 yards down the road. Halfway there the sky got darker so started running. As I got there the wind picked up and a grey cloud was swallowing up the bay. Got there just in time to see the red canoe disappear in the cloud. Then the hail started. We had to stand behind trees to keep from getting pelted. My wife and others were screaming. The cloud passed and no canoe. We could see the island and no canoe. Got in my friends boat and headed out. As we got near the island I saw them on the shore waving. A resident swam out and helped them to shore. Cut his leg on rocks in the process. This whole event happened in less than an hour while the actual cloud event happened in about 15 minutes. Now this was pre cell phones and we didn't have a short wave but it came up and disappeared​ so fast that even with them I don't think it would have changed anything.
So, as the other posters mentioned, s@#t happens quick. Try to have a backup plan on the water.

jmk 07-02-2017 08:01 AM

After all that, radar is clear and forecast is beautiful. To the OP, what did you decide?

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

Rattlesnake Gal 07-04-2017 01:40 PM

More to Add

More to Add... Most weather apps will allow you to set up weather alerts. Use this feature!!! My phone was going off like crazy this past Saturday and I always was aware of what was happening.

Another point - if you get caught in bad surf that can happen in the blink of an eye, know where the best place to sit for the least amount of being beat up. On our boat it is the center of the back seat. A cushion for extra insurance is a good idea. (A life vest too - why take chances?!) You do not want to risk that precious cargo in your wife's belly!!!

As a waterfront owner, I cannot imagine turning someone away from our dock in serious weather. I may not come down to meet you, but you can hide under my deck.

FlyingScot 07-04-2017 07:30 PM

Any port in a storm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal (Post 281186)
As a waterfront owner, I cannot imagine turning someone away from our dock in serious weather. I may not come down to meet you, but you can hide under my deck.

Same here. I think the vast majority of waterfront owners would rather have you land at their dock than be in danger.

DanteMartiniello 07-05-2017 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Japek (Post 280829)

So,
If you think you might be entering thunderstorm on Lake Winni, take all precautions. It depends on what boat you have. I have a small 16ft boat, and have a rough time with the wind. If there is a thunderstorm, look for "Small Craft Advisory" on a weather app for your area, If then you have a small boat like me, I would not recommend you going out till those winds simmer down.

My thought of rain, it is not too bad, I mean a boat can hold water, and if it is literally down-poring remember to press your "Bilge" button after, that releases water.

Hope I can Help,

Sent from my iPhone using Winnipesaukee Forum mobile app

ishoot308 07-05-2017 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Gal (Post 281186)

Any waterfront owner who would turn away or shooh someone away from their dock during bad weather or any other emergency situation isn't human in my opinion! I would think and hope that 99.9% of waterfront owners are good people and would be more than happy to help out in an emergency be it weather or otherwise...

Dan

Formula260SS 07-05-2017 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 281253)
Any waterfront owner who would turn away or shooh someone away from their dock during bad weather or any other emergency situation isn't human in my opinion! I would think and hope that 99.9% of waterfront owners are good people and would be more than happy to help out in an emergency be it weather or otherwise...

Dan

Well we know what islanders would do anyway. Haven't really followed this thread but boating in a storm generally should be avoided

Slickcraft 07-05-2017 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ishoot308 (Post 281253)

Dan

Yes any port in a storm including ours!

BTW, a front can move in very fast, maybe 10 min from first glance to watching the progression almost upon you. So say 30+ years of observation from the west side of Welch.
Alan

ApS 07-14-2017 08:48 PM

Back When Johnson's Cove Had No Docks...

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanteMartiniello (Post 281213)
So,
If you think you might be entering thunderstorm on Lake Winni, take all precautions. It depends on what boat you have. I have a small 16ft boat, and have a rough time with the wind. If there is a thunderstorm, look for "Small Craft Advisory" on a weather app for your area, If then you have a small boat like me, I would not recommend you going out till those winds simmer down. My thought of rain, it is not too bad, I mean a boat can hold water, and if it is literally down-poring remember to press your "Bilge" button after, that releases water. Hope I can Help,

BTW, "Small Craft" are considered to be less than 33-feet long by the USCG.

It's kind of scary to think that WWII had only ended by 10 years when my Dad built our little place near Johnson's Cove. We've seen some awful weather, and although I'm mindful of storms, didn't quite make it back home before a "cell" damaged my boat while I had a death-grip on it!

The following experience, posted here in 2004, should be instructive:

"We were in anchored in Johnson cove that day and remember it quite vividly.

"I was in my 28 ft cruiser rafting with friends in there 41 footer. Bow and Stern firmly anchored. When the storm came visibility went down to zero and the wind got ferocious. The wind spun both boats around in circles several times and pushed us towards the rocks on shore.

"We had to make a choice, get washed up onto the rocks or fire up the motor and power off with the risk of tangling the anchor lines in the props. We opted to cut the anchors and fire up one engine. Visibility was zero so all we could do was try to keep the boats off the rocks but were unable to go anywhere else. When the storm finally ended we found that we had suffered very little damage.

"For two weeks following the storm we donned scuba gear looking for our anchors. We finally did find the anchors all twisted up about 200 yards from where we had initally anchored that day
".

.http://www.winnipesaukeeforum.com/ar...mes;read=62528

NH_boater 07-14-2017 09:14 PM

Pretty sure you can dock at any dock in NH, private or otherwise if your craft or passengers are in danger. I would not hesitate since 95% of home owners would welcome you.

SAMIAM 07-15-2017 08:22 AM

There is an unwritten rule that assistance should never be denied to someone needing help on the water.

BroadHopper 07-15-2017 08:46 AM

My experience

Yes storms can creep up very quickly and unacceptably. Can you imagine being on the Broads in a 20' and the waves actually washes over the windshield? How about a torrential rainstorm with visibility at 0 and the bilge pump could not keep up with the flood! Been there and done that.

Follow by countless rescue operations on The Broads when boat engines were flooded or stalled and could not start! Life on the lake is an adventure.

Yes, most landowners will allow you to tie up to weather a storm. Be aware a dock may not hold your boat so as an extra precaution you may want to drop anchor(s) around the boat for more security. Just use your common sense.

Only one landowner denied permission for storm docking. So it is rare.

Town docks are a different story. Regardless of the storm, LEOs must adhere to local ordinances regarding usage. Even during a storm!

Imagine tying up at the Weirs public docks after hours in a thunderstorm, and the police wants you to leave immediately! Even the MP was docked next to you to weather the storm! That happened to me and luckily there was an empty slip over at Irwins Pier and I use it until the storm passed.

Another case was Gilford Town docks. A thick fog rolled in the middle of the night and no GPS or radar. So I tied up only to be told by the police I can't stay there. So I went to Fay's and found an empty slip.

I tried to pass state legislature to assure emergency storm dockage at public docks in NH. It was inexpedient to legislate as the state do not want to overstep local authorities.

Just want to let you know of my experience on the lake. Because of smartphones and local NOAA radar, I have been able to avoid the storms.

Buffalo Gal 07-15-2017 09:19 AM

Safety in a Storm

It may not be a law, but anyone denying access to a safe dock in a storm is open to a lawsuit. I’m not a lawyer, but in doing genealogy research I learned that a shared ancestor of my 4x great grandfather was the plaintiff in a legal case that may still be taught in law school. In 1908, during a sudden storm on Lake Champlain a Mr. Ploof and his family sought a safe place to tie his boat. The caretaker of the owner of the home and the dock he tied to told them that it was private property and they must leave. The caretaker untied the boat and it was forced onto rocks on the shore. Injuries and boat damage resulted. Mr. Ploof sued and won the case. It is, I believe, settled case law. http://www.casebriefsummary.com/ploof-v-putnam/

FlyingScot 07-15-2017 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 281982)
Town docks are a different story. Regardless of the storm, LEOs must adhere to local ordinances regarding usage. Even during a storm!

Imagine tying up at the Weirs public docks after hours in a thunderstorm, and the police wants you to leave immediately! Even the MP was docked next to you to weather the storm! That happened to me and luckily there was an empty slip over at Irwins Pier and I use it until the storm passed.

Another case was Gilford Town docks. A thick fog rolled in the middle of the night and I had no GPS or radar. So I tied up only to be told by the police I can't stay there. So I went to Fay's and found an empty slip.

Whoa! Thanks for sharing. No experience at all in this area, but I think I'd let them tow the boat, etc before I'd navigate into something unsafe.

Thoughts/advice on telling LEO, "Sorry, that's just not safe..."?

Descant 07-15-2017 01:20 PM

Most LEO and MP are pretty savvy. We're discussing some pretty rare situations here.

Old Sarge 07-15-2017 02:02 PM

Great Post

Very impressive Buffalo Gal, and with a copy of the over one hundred year old case summary included! Maybe you should have been a lawyer, no offense!

The Doctrine of necessity, makes sense to me!

ishoot308 07-16-2017 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Descant (Post 281992)
Most LEO and MP are pretty savvy. We're discussing some pretty rare situations here.

I agree! I would say EXTREMEMLY rare...

Pineedles 07-16-2017 05:59 PM

You guys have been trolled.

Buffalo Gal 07-16-2017 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Sarge (Post 281994)
Very impressive Buffalo Gal, and with a copy of the over one hundred year old case summary included! Maybe you should have been a lawyer, no offense!

The Doctrine of necessity, makes sense to me!

Thanks Old Sarge! A small bit of information and I finally found a place to use it!:)

Phantom 07-17-2017 06:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadHopper (Post 281982)

Broadhopper -- I know your situation was a quite rare one & fully dependent on the "discretion" of the MP involved at the time ... for I know first hand in a Severe storm that is EXACTLY where they take shelter.

BUT -- being the kind of guy I am, and the situation you described .... I would have simply started my engines, cast off my lines, moved 2-3 feet on the slip and retied -- telling the MP that my 4 hour clock is now RESET to zero !

CrownRay 07-19-2017 10:26 AM

1. My wife was pregnant through one of our summers. She was high risk too. We went out on the lake and the ocean. Sure, we did not motor throught the big waves and she sat for most of the ride, but our almost 2 year old is doing fine!

2. Modern cars are doing away with CD players. We got a new car last fall, and the dealer said that soon the CD player will be an extra option. The "thing" these days is to play music from a bluetoothed phone, or a memory stick!